Home made pegs.

Related:
Create New Tag

8/3/2013 3:03 AM

Just need to do some brainstorming on sizes of the pegs and material.
I was thinking something a long the lines of a the bigger Animal Butcher peg.
Outer diameter: 34mm (that's pretty standard now days)
Length: I feel like 4.3" would be just perfect for me not too big but not too small.
Im gonna have two 3/8" and two 14mm hole pegs.
4130 Chromoly for sure, I already checked and my grandpas workshop has a few blocks.

So I'm having some trouble finding out how thick it should be, I was thinking something like 2mm?
And how thick the "closed part" should be.

BTW this is all gonna be done with a lathe.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

8/3/2013 3:22 AM

2 or 3mm would be a good choice and the inside bit would be cool if it was like a shadow lil one as thats just the right size.

|

Bruh

8/3/2013 6:09 AM

Closed part should be a 3-4mm thickness if you want them really strong and a 2-3 if you are going for weight, for the closed part go for 1mm> (greater if you don't know what it means) than what ever your side walls are. try and put a 0.5-1mm radias going to the closed section and make sure you centre everything.

if you are doing all of this on a lathe. work your way inside to out if you can only work with a small block or outside to in if you can work with a longer block. polishing the OD then cutting your ID out once you have completed all of this make sure you fillet or chamfer all edges to be safe and will also give a clean look. remember always wear proper clothing and protection whilst using a lathe and keep your hands and tools away from the chuck at all times.

PS: high speed and low feed for best finish.

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

8/3/2013 7:00 AM

jamiespadina wrote:

Closed part should be a 3-4mm thickness if you want them really strong and a 2-3 if you are going for weight, for the closed ...more

Just to add to that, don't wear loose fitting sleeves or clothing, as they can catch on the laithe.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

8/3/2013 12:02 PM

Chuck8273 wrote:

Just to add to that, don't wear loose fitting sleeves or clothing, as they can catch on the laithe.

No worries guys I used lathes before haha I know what the risls are
and what I should avoid.
But thanks for the feedback, I'm curious on how it turns out.
I don't really need them so I'll probably sell them or something, I'm doing this out of boredom/curiosity haha.
Oh well I'll pist pics when done.

|

8/3/2013 1:06 PM

Could you maybe take videos of the process?
I've never understood how people made pegs, and my friend has a lathe, so I've kinda thought about it

|

I don't support slut shaming, but I do support snake shaming you snaky bastard

8/3/2013 3:10 PM

My friend got caught up in one of those snapped his elbow, be very careful

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

8/3/2013 4:57 PM

YEAH i was working on one in winter in Croatia and got my jumper caught around the chuck. lucky it tore the jacket and not me

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

8/5/2013 11:22 AM

hmuifulikefriedchicken wrote:

Could you maybe take videos of the process?
I've never understood how people made pegs, and my friend has a lathe, so I've ...more

I could probably find someone to film my hands would be still kinda busy haha

|