Home ramp/half pipe design

Related:
Create New Tag

3/30/2020 11:14 AM

Photo

I am planning to build some kind of a mini ramp for me and my boys in our yard (assuming I can still get lumber in a few days), and was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

Originally I was thinking of a 6ft tall, 12ft wide half pipe (8' radius on transitions) so it could be used for bikes and boards, etc. They are young, but can already jump about a 5ft spine, so I was thinking of turning the second platform into a spine. It wouldn't be that much extra work or cost, and then it could also serve as a kind of a drop in for any other dirt jumps, etc that we might want to build. Or maybe half spine, half platform? This would kind of leave the option open to extend the 6ft section to vert 8 ft if they outgrow the 6ft in a few years.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the dimensions? 12 foot flat ground a good distance? Also, any good cheaper paint or diy mix to use to save money on the surface? Or painted Masonite? I don't think we mind riding on regular plywood, just don't want it to go to crap in the first year.

|

3/30/2020 12:11 PM

Gangly1 wrote: Photo

I am planning to build some kind of a mini ramp for me and my boys in our yard (assuming I can still get lumber in a few days), and was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

Originally I was thinking of a 6ft tall, 12ft wide half pipe (8' radius on transitions) so it could be used for bikes and boards, etc. They are young, but can already jump about a 5ft spine, so I was thinking of turning the second platform into a spine. It wouldn't be that much extra work or cost, and then it could also serve as a kind of a drop in for any other dirt jumps, etc that we might want to build. Or maybe half spine, half platform? This would kind of leave the option open to extend the 6ft section to vert 8 ft if they outgrow the 6ft in a few years.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the dimensions? 12 foot flat ground a good distance? Also, any good cheaper paint or diy mix to use to save money on the surface? Or painted Masonite? I don't think we mind riding on regular plywood, just don't want it to go to crap in the first year.

The wood would get destroyed in a year with it being outside and unpainted. Definitely paint it. Honestly, sounds like your dimensions will be pretty decent. I know I would love to ride it! I personally would make a longer deck and not do the spine but thats only because im scared of spines...lol

|

3/31/2020 5:15 AM

I live in central MN and we used paint we got for free from a local Hazardous Materials place that was indoor and outdoor paint (had 3 diff colors) and my quarter lasted 11 years outside in MN weather-100+ heat and humidity to 60 below zero with 3 feet of snow.

Paint it for sure.

12 foot flat on that height is good. I rode a 4 foot miniramp with an 8 foot flat and it was fun, but a tad quick.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/31/2020 6:15 AM

I really wanna 180 that spine to half cab pegs the quarter great design

|

I believe in hub guard protection

4/1/2020 4:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/1/2020 4:32 AM

The setup at my local free park back in the day was similar to what you want to make, a 4 foot mini with a spine on one end, but they did 16 feet wide and two widths on the spine end-one was two feet so it was a "spox" (spine/box) and the other was about a foot/foot and a half wide.

I had so much fun on it, boosting over the narrower side, 360 tire taps over, 540 tire tap to fakie over, bar to tire taps, nose bonks, you name it. They had benches on the deck of the miniramp side, and I toyed with a bar to icepick on the bench until a buddy double pegged the backrail and broke it off.

It was a blast! Just make sure you have a good run up to the spine end.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/1/2020 4:31 AM

This is the mini at the local free park I spent countless hours at. I had a ton of fun riding this thing.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/1/2020 10:28 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

This is the mini at the local free park I spent countless hours at. I had a ton of fun riding this thing.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

This looks like a blast

|

4/1/2020 10:34 AM

Looks like a good idea , should add a hitching post or a sub box

|

4/1/2020 2:09 PM

Mulletsnax wrote:

This looks like a blast

Those photos are from 06 or so-thing is toast last I was there. Stupid kids trashed it.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/1/2020 2:14 PM

I'd second the spine on one side, and the box jump, or spox, on the other side. Also, I'd make it 16' wide minimum. There is no reason not to, as log as you have the space. Are you thinking to have coping on it? I'd also make the deck on the quarter side 6' minimum.

|

4/1/2020 7:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am going to make it 16' wide and 6ft platform. Considering doing the spine for 8ft width and then 6ft platform for the other 8ft on the one side so that I can later add a hip jump to quarter to lead into a future dirt jump line or something. Then i could have my paved driveway as the run in for the spine, too. My kids are only 5 and 7 so I will save the hitching post, etc for a later add on. They are little rippers, though, and can already hit a spine and fly out/drop in. I am scared of spines, too, lol.

I am planning to have coping. Need to figure out what is available from the metal supply places, but if anyone knows exactly what to ask for, that would be cool. I've heard schedule 40 pipe, tubing, conduit. I did price out some stainless pipe but the price was a little crazy. Also if someone knows exactly what toggle bolts to get to attach the coping.

|

4/3/2020 11:51 PM

Gangly1 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am going to make it 16' wide and 6ft platform. Considering doing the spine for 8ft width and then 6ft platform for the other 8ft on the one side so that I can later add a hip jump to quarter to lead into a future dirt jump line or something. Then i could have my paved driveway as the run in for the spine, too. My kids are only 5 and 7 so I will save the hitching post, etc for a later add on. They are little rippers, though, and can already hit a spine and fly out/drop in. I am scared of spines, too, lol.

I am planning to have coping. Need to figure out what is available from the metal supply places, but if anyone knows exactly what to ask for, that would be cool. I've heard schedule 40 pipe, tubing, conduit. I did price out some stainless pipe but the price was a little crazy. Also if someone knows exactly what toggle bolts to get to attach the coping.

buy diamond grind coping (google check da website) if people are skating it thats what you need. literally never needs to get waxed (less slip for bikes too) and its not gonna dent from peg tricks or scooter friends riding the ramp. also i think that you should

|

13 years old

4/4/2020 5:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2020 5:37 AM

Krooked wrote:

buy diamond grind coping (google check da website) if people are skating it thats what you need. literally never needs to get waxed (less slip for bikes too) and its not gonna dent from peg tricks or scooter friends riding the ramp. also i think that you should

Hey, it looks cool, but I would like a continuous 16' piece and an 8' piece, so I'm sure the freight would be incredibly expensive from California (I'm on the East coast). Looking for something local from a metal supplier or something like that.

I think your post got cut off, so I don't know what else you were going to say.

|

4/6/2020 10:41 AM

Your sons will be stoked. For sure. Maybe the whole neighborhood? LOL.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/6/2020 1:14 PM

Gangly1 wrote:

Krooked wrote:

Woah, Krooked posted good advice without criticizing anyone.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/7/2020 4:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/7/2020 4:26 AM

For coping, I have always drilled a hole on one side that is bigger than the head of the screws you use to fasten it down, then one about the size of the shaft of the screw on the other side, straight across. Then screw it down.

This guy does it differently:

Keep in mind it looks like this dude is using galvanized fence post, so it will dent SUPER fast. You will want thicker tubing. Consider calling a local pay to ride skatepark for advice?

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura