HomeMade HubGuards

Related:
Create New Tag

3/23/2015 11:09 AM

Buddy of mine has been trying to come up with ideas lately. I dont have a machine shop at my disposal, but I do have a garage full of tools and materials. Any ideas? Weight doesnt matter, ive been considering disc golf discs, tennis balls, any thick plyable plastic.

|

3/23/2015 11:24 AM

cutting boards. i've also used some random pipe pieces for the front

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

3/23/2015 11:37 AM

tomdon wrote:

Like 2-3" pvc caps and drilled holes in the center? Interesting... if thats not what you meant then please elaborate, but pvc would also possible work.

|

3/23/2015 12:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2015 12:03 PM

tomdon wrote:

StoreBoughtChild wrote:

Like 2-3" pvc caps and drilled holes in the center? Interesting... if thats not what you meant then please elaborate, but pvc ...more

Something similar to the pic I included but its about the size of a front hubguard and the hole is smaller. I just bore the hole to the size of the cone nut for a nice fit and it holds up quite well. I'd inc;ude exact item I use but idk the name of it. It's like 1.50 each tho.

Photo

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

3/23/2015 12:16 PM

I have used all sorts of stuff. There were these things that went around light bulb things that worked really well on this old abandoned house. Idk if i have pics but they were awesome and made of something that still slid well.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/23/2015 2:18 PM

Use some teek wood

|

3/23/2015 6:30 PM

I've heard of people using the piece of a door knob that rests against the door.

Someone on here awhile back posted a pic of theirs and then just used zip ties through the screw holes to attach it to their spokes

[LINK TO IMAGE]

I can't imagine it would be that strong though

|

3/23/2015 8:28 PM

Tennis balls cut in half with holes in the middle. Fuck it.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/23/2015 8:46 PM

Hahahaa holy shit that door knob guard..I gotta try it.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

3/23/2015 9:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2015 9:06 PM

Photo
Milo tin cover zip tied for extra street cred cool
that doorknob one looks boss tho.
|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

3/24/2015 3:53 AM

Get a shitty stock hub and cut the flange off.

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

3/24/2015 7:18 AM

peggiesmalls wrote:

sound like too much work tho... ermm

|

please embed videos

My art c:

[b]

3/24/2015 7:20 AM

peggiesmalls wrote:

That might work really well...

|

3/24/2015 7:26 AM

peggiesmalls wrote:

StoreBoughtChild wrote:

Seen it done a few times I'll dig some guides/pictures up

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

3/24/2015 7:30 AM

peggiesmalls wrote:

StoreBoughtChild wrote:

peggiesmalls wrote:

Seen it done a few times I'll dig some guides/pictures up

Im gonna do it. ill post pictures once Im done With testing them and find the best one.

|

3/24/2015 6:54 PM

I made a rear hub guard out of stainless steel, Used a large hole saw to cut a disc out of the sheet then drilled a hole dead center put it in a press to bend it into a "cone" type shape (had to heat it, stuff is hard as eff). Works awesome, barely a scratch yet. I made a few plastic/pvc ones in the past and they friggin explode within a couple grinds. My store bought aluminum one on the front is pretty eff'd already too after a season of riding, gotta engineer a stainless one for the front soon.

|

3/24/2015 8:56 PM

I heard about people using grip flanges as guards. XD

|

3/24/2015 9:15 PM

NewAndImprovedClancy wrote:

I heard about people using grip flanges as guards. XD

I feel like that's a terrible idea because it would just hang up on grinds, same with tennis balls haha.

|

3/24/2015 9:39 PM

what's wrong with spending 11$ on a damn hub guard? If you can't afford that, just learn to grind cleaner

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

3/24/2015 9:45 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

what's wrong with spending 11$ on a damn hub guard? If you can't afford that, just learn to grind cleaner

Not an issue of money. Id rather create something of my own that lasts 3 months, over buying something for $30 and having it last 2 years.

I want to create a hubguard out of something that I find at home... dont try to change my mind about it, im doing it.

|

3/25/2015 5:34 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

so you're %101 against people making their own hubgaurds? shocked

|

please embed videos

My art c:

[b]

3/25/2015 6:51 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

cro tec wrote:

so you're %101 against people making their own hubgaurds? shocked

Foreal like were not being cheap, just being creative.

|

3/26/2015 1:42 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

StoreBoughtChild wrote:

Not an issue of money. Id rather create something of my own that lasts 3 months, over buying something for $30 and having it ...more

THIS. Making and running your own custom made parts is one of the best feelings. Maybe mine arent the 'at home diy' style custom, but the feeling is the same!

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

3/26/2015 9:30 AM

Seth Kimbrough used drum cymbals that were trashed back in the day.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/26/2015 1:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/26/2015 1:18 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

StoreBoughtChild wrote:

Not an issue of money. Id rather create something of my own that lasts 3 months, over buying something for $30 and having it ...more

EddiMundo wrote:

THIS. Making and running your own custom made parts is one of the best feelings. Maybe mine arent the 'at home diy' style ...more

^^I covered my seat in leather

|

please embed videos

My art c:

[b]