Homemade DIY bunny hop bar build

Related:
Create New Tag

12/9/2019 12:17 AM

Was stuck at home over the weekend so I got creative and made myself a hop bar. Nothing fancy, just from whatever I had lying around the property. I think the wood was old fencing supports and the bar an old curtain rod (I sprayed it red for visibility).

Photo

Photo

I used nails at each height increment. This works, but is not ideal. I am going to pull them out and instead use a pair of clips. The problem with nails is that when you stuff up a hop - and you will - the nails sometimes bend. Clips can easily be placed at any height. Maybe something like this from the hardware store:

Photo

My rig "only" goes up to 20 inches - still higher than I can currently hop. I figure if I need to go higher I can always stack bricks underneath or whatever.

Had a quick session. The dog cleared 14 inches, then got distracted by other more interesting stuff...

Photo

I cleared the bar at 15 inches, not real clean though. I think I need to really pop up, slap those bars up into my waist then throw the bike forward so I can tuck above the rear wheel? Also seems my cranks are never level when I'm at full height. Hmmm.

Photo

Gotta keep practising!

|

12/9/2019 4:55 AM

Rad.

|

12/9/2019 5:53 AM

Looks good dude

|

26" Park Rat

12/9/2019 5:57 AM

longer screws work much better than nails. FYI, if the clips don't work well.

|