How To Tuesday: How to Fix Trashed Ramps?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/13/2019 10:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2019 10:31 AM

So, every weekend I ride with da boisss and sometimes we go to the skatepark. (We don't go all the time because it's all uphill) It's honestly a decent skatepark, but super small, and completely trashed. It was built around 10 years ago with a sick 6 foot half pipe, a pyramid with literally a 2 foot high downrail that's 1.5 feet long at the end of it lol.. It's all made of a legit outdoor parts, sturdy metal frames and layers of heavy duty skatelite. However, one problem.. the halfpipe has potholes broken through the skatelite, some of the pyramid ramps are cracked and some missing pieces are also apparent in the park. We think that it was some guys who literally broke the place up.. not even riders because no one touches this park, skaters, scooters, bmxers.. We are the only people who use it. Not even kids from the playgrounds touch this park! I know that the company who built this place (local car dealership that sponsored it) will 100% not fix these ramps.. It will cost them money and literally only 3 riders use it.. I want to know a way to fix these ramps and make this place great again. Do I use quick cement? Dirt? (These are probably for the potholes)

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

9/13/2019 12:32 PM

Buy new skatelite. But it is expensive, there is another brand that is more affordable now called Gator skin that makes a similar product. https://gatorskinsramps.com

Check that out. That is your best bet. Heck, maybe price out how much it will cost and then offer to install for free. I be the dealership might be down to chip in a few hundred bucks that they can write off anyways. Or ask the city. Dirt won't be lasting, and you will be disappointing with the results of cement.

|

9/13/2019 2:33 PM

talk to the city parks department or whoever is in charge of the place. There may be funds to fix it up. You could volunteer your time to help fix it. Cities love when people volunteer.

If the city won't help, then buy whatever is needed. Probably skatelite is what is on the riding surface. Stuff is expensive but holds up well to weather. I have no experience with the other brand mentioned above.

It would be worth it to talk to the car dealership. They may offer to match funds if the city won't pay for it.

Heck, talk to anyone and everyone. Businesses like to help out local communities and often love to see young folks doing positive things.

|

9/15/2019 8:28 AM

Sometimes you just have to take the initiative to get things done. That’s how it works at our local park.
I was approached by a friend of mine about 7 years ago with the idea of improving our skatepark. He had some ideas about what he wanted to see. I took those ideas, came up with a plan and cost estimate, and we presented it to the park district. They were happy with our plan and agreed to fund the project, but that’s where their involvement ended. The rest was up to us. We had to pick up and transport all of the materials and do all of the construction ourselves. It was a lot of work but we ended up with the park that we wanted, built by us.
Since that first project we’ve done a couple more and they were done the exact same way. In the process, we’ve built a relationship with the park district and going forward they are more receptive to any ideas that we present to them.
Make a list of the repairs that are needed at your park. Try to figure out what materials are needed and how much they will cost. Present that to your park district and try to find a way to work with them to make it happen. Also, make them aware of the safety concern of the park due to its current condition. When they see the initiative that you’ve taken and your willingness to make the park better you may be surprised at what they might be willing to do.
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

9/16/2019 3:10 PM

@TKeck, way to be! We need more of you in this world!

|

9/16/2019 6:21 PM

@SoCalShreds, thanks. It’s just something I try to do to give back to the bmx/skate community and keep kids stoked.

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74