How about a challenge?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/4/2017 5:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2017 5:52 AM

So, I was just thinking.... anyone interested in competition where we try to build the most ridable bike from the cheapest parts? I'm not saying to use just any bike to start (no "free huffy" at the side of the road bikes). I'm talking about used parts, at the cheapest possible price. It would have to be capable of actual street riding. It wouldn't have to be a solid "I'd ride that..." sort of bike but it should be a viable option... if even just for a kid to start on.

P.S. I know this is more pipe dream than anything but I like the idea... on paper anyway. Just thought it would be fun to discuss.

|

10/4/2017 6:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2017 6:27 AM

Its what Ive been trying to do for the past 5 weeks! Lol

You can drive by apartments a lot of times and see old bikes in the dumpsters. Usually they just have flats, broken pedals or the handlebars are a little crooked. Lol

They are fun to fix up and usually only require a bit of care. That could be a start! wink

But if it says huffy you gotta leave it in the dumpster.

|

10/4/2017 6:29 AM

I've got almost a spare bike already. 2 of my friends buy and sell second hand regularly and have about 8 bikes worth of parts between them.

|

10/4/2017 6:41 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

You can drive by apartments a lot of times and see old bikes in the ...more

You were the inspiration for this. LOL.

I know it's hard to not spend money on this stuff but if we were to build with basically garbage or scrounged parts bought 2nd (3rd.... 4th?) hand, it would be interesting to see what we all came up with. Of course, it would have to be on the honor system ("I didn't spend a penny on this Full-Chromo Subrosa with 3-piece cranks, profile cranks, Sunday wheelset, etc...; uh huh...).

|

10/4/2017 7:35 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

You can drive by apartments a lot of times and see old bikes in the ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

You were the inspiration for this. LOL.

I know it's hard to not spend money on this stuff but if we were to build with ...more

I would love to participate. I got too much bmx stuff already...I always get super into my hobbies and end up accumulating things I dont really need but shits just cool!

I just picked up 3 complete female wheels

2 eastern venus fronts and 1 eastern venus rear for 100 dollars...which pisses me off cause the first one I paid for was 140 just for 1 FRONT! Lol

Brand new, figured Id have some backup wheels on hand...backup parts end up turning into bikes though.

How long will the contest take place? Maybe I could budget myself so I dont go crazy and start buying a bunch of shit all at once.

|

10/4/2017 7:37 AM

I'm basically playing that game with my current build (not intentionally, I'm just broke)

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

10/4/2017 7:59 AM

I don't know how long we should take. I mean, if there's someone who would want to participate but was starting from scratch, they'd be at a disadvantage. I suppose we could do it as a continuing month-month thing with the forum voting. No "returns" from previous builds? Only builds submitted in that month can be counted/voted on?

|

10/4/2017 8:03 AM

Also, I'm thinking there should be a formula to calculate a builds worth relative to money spent. Thoughts?

|

10/4/2017 8:10 AM

I spent less then a 100$ cad on this build however it was mostly my old parts and parts kids traded me it’s definitely capable of riding street
Parts list
La casa wheel set
No name shitty forks
Sunday freeze stem
Sunday 4 pice bars
La casa cranks
Bsd tires
Odyssey mds sprocket
Odyssey blue bird chain
Profile bottom bracket
Gt frame
Odyssey headset
Odyssey Pedals

I think that’s everything

|

just living with autism and riding bikes

10/4/2017 8:24 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Also, I'm thinking there should be a formula to calculate a builds worth relative to money spent. Thoughts?

You mean like how much you could sell it for compared to how much you paid, kinda thing?

I think the only way to make it fair would be if individual parts were obtained all from different sources. Like a stem from here, bars from here, etc....

I really wish this would have started before I built my last bike...lol I wont be making serious money for another 2 months, until I can start using my foot. Till the end of the year or longer before I can ride again...

I like this though...I might have to participate when I have a steady flow of income again...

|

10/4/2017 8:26 AM

yrrep_nitsuj wrote:

I spent less then a 100$ cad on this build however it was mostly my old parts and parts kids traded me it’s definitely capable ...more

Are you missing a seat/post?

|

10/4/2017 8:27 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

You mean like how much you could sell it for compared to how much you paid, kinda thing?

I think the only way to make it fair ...more

I guess... I mean, I don't really care. Just trying to make it fun & something for people to do. I agree, it should be something sourced, piece by piece. Not a complete someone's dad is selling because the kid went off to college & doesn't care about any longer so you get the whole bike for $10. That's not in the spirit of this for fun contest.

|

10/4/2017 9:13 AM

yrrep_nitsuj wrote:

I spent less then a 100$ cad on this build however it was mostly my old parts and parts kids traded me it’s definitely capable ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Are you missing a seat/post?

O shit haha I forgot it’s a animal seat and seat post

|

just living with autism and riding bikes

10/4/2017 2:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2017 3:03 PM

That's what I've been doing all year lol. If you check my bike checks, my cult hawk, and stranger nomad cost around $600-700 together for both of them. Is that cheap enough? I just built up the nomad a couple weeks ago with all my spare parts. I'm always buying and selling stuff. I can't pass up a good deal.

|