How can I Succeed?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/4/2016 12:20 PM

Lately I've really been getting into bmx, hoping that one day I could be really good because BMX is my passion I guess you could say. I look up to people like Brandon Begin, Adam LZ, Stevie Churchill, Ect. I'm am really into street riding and I always wonder how they got as good as they have gotten, I know that there is hard work and dedication that you need to put into it but lately I haven't been going anywhere in BMX. So I would appreciate if some of you better riders who ever felt at one point, as if you were never going to get anywhere, if you could give me some tips to succeed and to become a good rider. I'm not looking to become pro either I'm just hoping to be pretty decent. Thanks!

|

4/4/2016 12:59 PM

You're probably gonna hear this alot but it's all about practice. Don't get stuck on one thing and get burnt out. Change it up. Riding should always be fun, if I'm not having fun on a certain day it's time to call it quits for that session. And if you can ride with people better than you, for whatever reason it always seems to bring out the best in you when you have people around you that are better...(if that makes any sense). Also, some people are just more naturally talented. You may or may not get to the level you're wanting to be at. But you can find your own level and your own style. My .02

|

4/4/2016 1:05 PM

BoBo_Jenkins wrote:

You're probably gonna hear this alot but it's all about practice. Don't get stuck on one thing and get burnt out. Change it ...more

This will defiantly help me out a lot. I really appreciate itsmile I totally understand everything that you are saying and that you need to dedicate yourself and try to push yourself but not too much! Thankssmile

|

4/4/2016 1:07 PM

The best way in most sports to succeed is to have fun and just be yourself. Don't try to act like someone else, because that'll tie you down in the end. Develop your own riding style and go at your own pace, trying to succeed won't always lead to success, it's easier to just have fun and if you do become well known, it'll feel better, since you won't have had too be unhappy pretending to be someone just so you can succeed. If you're not having fun on your bike it'll show clearly.

It's best not to worry about not going anywhere, you'll become a good rider over time, tips don't always work with everyone. Try new techniques if you can't do a certain trick, it's not guaranteed you'll get it quickly. Dedication and having fun is the key to becoming a good rider

|

4/4/2016 1:14 PM

Dylan_Jones wrote:

The best way in most sports to succeed is to have fun and just be yourself. Don't try to act like someone else, because ...more

Thanks! I really appreciate the help. This really gives me something to think about. I don't have to try to be someone, I just have to develop my own style I guess. Thanks again!smile

|

4/4/2016 2:18 PM

Ride as much as you can and try hard. I sucked when I used to ride 45 minutes a day and was too scared to try any tricks. The more you put in the more you get out. Good luck.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

4/4/2016 2:30 PM

Four wrote:

Ride as much as you can and try hard. I sucked when I used to ride 45 minutes a day and was too scared to try any tricks. The ...more

Alright I appreciate the help. I am scared to do a lot of things but yeah, I guess I need to try and put more time into BMX and dedicate myself more. Thankssmile

|

4/4/2016 2:45 PM

dude, i'm in my 30's and i still suck but i've ridden with some awesome dudes who push me to try new things and they don't care that i'm nowhere near as good but you also need to be able to have fun riding alone and not for anyone else but you. some people think that your skill dictates your devotion to the lifestyle and those are the people who ruin it for everyone else in my opinion.

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

4/4/2016 2:45 PM

BoBo_Jenkins wrote:

You're probably gonna hear this alot but it's all about practice. Don't get stuck on one thing and get burnt out. Change it ...more

I did this my "first day" out riding. (i put it in quotes because about 3 years ago I rode lightly on a friends bike, and learned how to bhop, then I stopped because i moved and didn't have access to the bike) I learned to ride 6 foot quarters and bowls that day out. Riding with someone better than you is always good because they push you to do better.

|

4/4/2016 3:51 PM

a positive attitude and being friendly with people will go a long way

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

4/4/2016 4:09 PM

Don't be Ben Lorsen.

Search the guy with the search bar and it will make sense.

If you don't wanna do that, he basically thinks BMX OWES him a sponsorship and that he should be paid the big bucks, then he whines when people call him out for his piss poor "woe is me" attitude where he bashes everyone who got him where he is (which is no sponsor because of a crap gimme gimme gimme attitude).
He literally craps on anyone that isn't in the industry, and basically WHINES on their instagram pages for attention. Don't do that.

Just be you and ride until you no longer have fun. For some of us, that's 15+ years down the line, for others, that might be 2 weeks from now.

Just be a good person and have fun.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/4/2016 11:30 PM

Sell your soul to the Devil

|

4/5/2016 12:31 AM

I'm way passed my best. I get that kids want to get good, but at some point you'll realise it doesn't matter how good you are, it's all about pissing about on a kids bike, nothing more, nothing less. Just have patience as progression can be a long road.
I've ridden with people who are naturally good and I think that's something you either have, or you don't. They went on to get sponsored etc. But learning a ton of tricks won't really get you anywhere.
I personally think a lot of today's pro's don't have any style. They look like they spent all their time in their local park nibbling tricks, without learning the basics and getting comfortable on their bike. Some of the "best" look sketchy as hell, and they don't look like they genuinely enjoy riding.

Just enjoy it for what it is, if you get good quick, that's great. If it takes a while, who cares?

|

4/5/2016 9:21 AM

Oddity wrote:

Sell your soul to the Devil

alright thanks iI will I appreciate the help

|

4/5/2016 9:35 AM

Honestly, If you haven't been racing since you were like 5 years old, your kinda screwed. I think 9 out of 10 dudes most people consider really good have a significant background in racing.

Having said that, don't sweat how good you are compared to other people. If you're happy with your progression, or at least happy with the effort you're putting into progressing, that's really the only thing that matters.

|

4/5/2016 10:33 AM

I honestly have only been riding for around two years and I have had the same mindset for a majority of my riding experience. I know that there are people better than me on web edits or at the local park. I hit a low point about a month ago where I acknowledged that I haven't learned anything in what felt like forever, so I ended up starting a thread called "What Keeps You Motivated" to see what others feel on the topic. After seeing what kept others motivated, I put my mind to the test by doing those things and I prevailed in learning new things. I started working on grinds and 360s.

I will admit that it does take time to do great things with a bike, it took me 7 or 8 months to grasp how to even go about doing a 180. Also if all else fails, go to YouTube and watch the old Props Road Fools videos; it has a feel good vibe to it because it's a bunch of riders from different teams hanging out together and fooling around. The video originally is for 2007 I think? I'll post a link at the bottom of this. Also the Ride to glory videos are good for the feel good vibe as well.

Props Road Fools 15

RIDE UK Ride To Glory '14 Premium Bmx

8:08-End
|

4/5/2016 11:36 AM

Road Fools videos were awesome, it was all about dudes riding bikes having a good time, regardless of what team they were on. I'm sad they aren't doing them anymore, but with free videos all over the web, no one wants to buy em.

But yea, back to the main point, just ride, have fun, try new things, and GET COMFORTABLE on your bike. I agree with grumpySteve stating a lot of the newer pros don't have much style, they all just muscle nibble tricks on ledges as though they have just been riding a foot tall ledge for 8 years.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/5/2016 11:56 AM

I'd rather watch chase hawk do no tricks at all than watch someone nibble a ledge, or another fing flair hahaha

|

4/5/2016 12:23 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Don't be Ben Lorsen.

Search the guy with the search bar and it will make sense.

If you don't wanna do that, he basically ...more

Yeah I'm defiantly bot going to have that kind of attitude. But I really appreciate the advice!smile thanks

|

4/5/2016 12:26 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Road Fools videos were awesome, it was all about dudes riding bikes having a good time, regardless of what team they were on. ...more

Yeah agreed. Road fools was sick, and yeah it was just about having fun! But I really appreciate the advice! Thanks smile

|

4/5/2016 12:28 PM

tecnic1 wrote:

Honestly, If you haven't been racing since you were like 5 years old, your kinda screwed. I think 9 out of 10 dudes most ...more

Yeah! If I don't go anywhere than I'll just have to be happy with my progression. And I know I can't be great at everything. Thankssmile

|

4/5/2016 12:32 PM

GSquared wrote:

I honestly have only been riding for around two years and I have had the same mindset for a majority of my riding experience. ...more

Thanks so much. This has honastly been the most helpful reply yet! Now I know I am not the only 1 who has been struggling with BMX! The road fools videos are sick I still remember watching them as a kid. But thanks again, this will really help me!smile

|