Are these cranks spline drive?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/19/2017 12:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2017 1:04 PM

I've got a 2017 Colony Sweet Tooth (just posted a bike check take a peek if you want)

Anyway, colony website says its got "tubular 48 spline cranks with 19mm spindles"

Des that mean this is a spline drive crank set? My understanding is spline drive cranks have spline drive sprockets, and these sprockets don't have a boss bolt connecting it to the crank arm. However, my crank arm is connected to my sprocket with a bolt.

So is this a spline drive set up or no? I'm confused by the wording on the website and by the bolt that I see. I assumed it was spine drive.
Photo

|

5/19/2017 1:11 PM

There'll probably be a boss for a sprocket bolt, but you should be able to run a spline drive sprocket as well (providing it's a standard size spline)

|

5/19/2017 1:44 PM

They're 48 spline cranks with the ability to run both spline drive and bolt drive.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/19/2017 1:51 PM

Any good crank will have a 48 spline axle (beside special systems like odyssey thunderbolts cranks).

Then this axle can be 19, 22 or 24mm, so you can run either a classic bolt sprocket (with the correct spacer to fit the axle) or a spline drive sprocket.

The downside with spline drive spocket is if you get one for a 19mm crank, you will not be able to fit it on a 22, or 24mm crank, unlike regular bolt sprockets who have a 24mm bore and spacers to fit whatever crank.

You have a 19 mm crank with a bolt on sprocket.

|

5/19/2017 2:42 PM

Francky wrote:

Any good crank will have a 48 spline axle (beside special systems like odyssey thunderbolts cranks).

Then this axle can be ...more

This x2

|

5/19/2017 2:45 PM

If it has splines, yes it will have the ability of running a spline drive sprocket. You have to measure the OD of the spindle (unless you already know) and then go online and see what sprockets fit.

That said, looks like a 19mm spindle so pretty much most sprockets will fit.

|

5/19/2017 6:29 PM

All cranks have splines, but you need 48 to run a spline drive sprocket. You don't need to run a splined sprocket though.

|

5/19/2017 10:41 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

All cranks have splines, but you need 48 to run a spline drive sprocket. You don't need to run a splined sprocket though.

Apart from odyssey wombolts/twombolts/thunderbolts, and primo powerbites/hollowbites (and the copies of them).

|

5/20/2017 2:53 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Apart from odyssey wombolts/twombolts/thunderbolts, and primo powerbites/hollowbites (and the copies of them).

Well, most cranks with pinch bolts have 8 splines. They tend to come on complete bikes too, which helps some. If you have a stock complete bike with 3pc that has pinch bolts, odds are they are 8 "spline". And if you post the make and model most can tell you what cranks you have. Not that they are really splines, but companies tend to call it that. It's really just what type "interface" they have. They also tend to be 20mm just to make life difficult by being 1mm different than most typical 10 and 24mm.

|

5/20/2017 1:24 PM

Ok I understand now. I would not have known these things before. Appreciate the education!!!

|

5/20/2017 10:41 PM

Any 48 spline spindle can be a spline drive. Any brand cranks can run a splinevdrive sprocket as long as it's 48 spline. You just do need the bolt then.

|