How close are your crank arms to your chainstays?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2020 10:59 AM

Recently after reconnecting with some old BMX friends we got into a conversation about rotational mass among other fun topics. One specific point we talked about was crank arm spacing/how tight they are to the frame and the relation to center of gravity.

My question is, what is to close to comfort for you guys? I have a fat tire friendly frame and I'm curious if anyone else run their arms this close?

|

1/14/2020 11:09 AM

About the same

|

1/14/2020 11:35 AM

3/16'' to 1/4''

|

1/14/2020 11:56 AM

About 1/4" on the non-drive side, a little less on the drive side

Yours I'd feel better with a little more room to be honest. I've had friends with Profile cranks that close and they flexed enough to actually ding the chainstays sometimes

|

1/14/2020 12:00 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

About 1/4" on the non-drive side, a little less on the drive side

Yours I'd feel better with a little more room to be honest. I've had friends with Profile cranks that close and they flexed enough to actually ding the chainstays sometimes

Thanks for your input, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. I've only bent a profile arm once in my life but that was a bike falling out of the sky type thing. I am worried about the slight flex tho. I guess we'll see how this works out and I'll update the thread with my findings once I ride again.

|

1/14/2020 1:19 PM

I run thunderbolts, I could get the arms pretty evenly spaced but I think I would end up with chain alignment issues if I did. I just try to get the sprocket side as close as possible so the chain is more in line with the driver and the non drive side just needs enough to be able to engage with the wedge cluster. I have thought about modifying the thunderbolt crank axle to allow the wedge cluster to sit deeper but It doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it. Lol

When I crash, my crank arm closest to my chainstay touches sometimes. Not a big deal.

|

1/14/2020 1:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2020 1:31 PM

3-5mm, don't like to go any wider. Sprocket is also only 3mm away from curve of chainstay. This is the issue with stupidly wide rear ends, it's so retarded. Chain alignment goes to shit.

|

1/14/2020 2:12 PM

My bike came stock with 2.5 and there's still room to spare.. My cranks are about the same on both sides, and at least a good half inch of clearance with the chainstays.. I must have a wider spindle?

|

1/14/2020 5:30 PM

They definitely should be the same on both sides lol like jeeze I cannot believe some of y’all actually ride with them un even 😆😂💀

Also i ride with mine about the same as in the picture

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

1/14/2020 6:00 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

My bike came stock with 2.5 and there's still room to spare.. My cranks are about the same on both sides, and at least a good half inch of clearance with the chainstays.. I must have a wider spindle?

I took a picture..

|

1/14/2020 8:49 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I run thunderbolts, I could get the arms pretty evenly spaced but I think I would end up with chain alignment issues if I did. I just try to get the sprocket side as close as possible so the chain is more in line with the driver and the non drive side just needs enough to be able to engage with the wedge cluster. I have thought about modifying the thunderbolt crank axle to allow the wedge cluster to sit deeper but It doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it. Lol

When I crash, my crank arm closest to my chainstay touches sometimes. Not a big deal.

When i rode them i had the same issue until i got a different cone spacer, odyssey don’t know how to make those in the right length theres takes up too much space compared to every cone spacer thing ive seen from other brands, i used a primo bottom bracket and everything was mint

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit