How do I get my fork on

Related:
Create New Tag

1/17/2018 11:43 AM

Ok so I just got a new r25 fork and when I try to put your stem and shit on it won’t slide on. I’m not able to use a coin and stretch the clamp on the top but I did on the bottom a little and it still won’t slip on. Any idea how I can get it on? I’m using a Sunday freeze stem

|

1/17/2018 11:59 AM

Pictures? Sounds like you're saying you've pinched your stem. If that's the case, replace it yesterday. It's fine to run a pinched stem for a while but if you have to spread it to get it on the fork, it'll likely crack or snap at the first hint of force. Aluminium really doesn't like being forced into one shape and then into another, it becomes very, very brittle.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/17/2018 12:12 PM

Show some pictures. Sounds like what p1p1092 was saying; you've probably pinched your stem. Usually results in running it too tight or tightening it down while it's off a stem. If you stretch it too much it's going to break, I'd just buy another stem, Sunday Freeze is pretty cheap, just get another one of those.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

1/17/2018 12:31 PM

Did you cut the fork? Was a tubing cutter used? If so, those usually flare out the steerer tube just slightly at the end. If that is the case, get a file & file it down around the tube.

|

1/17/2018 1:00 PM

Spit on it wink

|

It’s all bmx

1/17/2018 1:04 PM

With a knife and a plate and a steak

|

1/17/2018 1:22 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Did you cut the fork? Was a tubing cutter used? If so, those usually flare out the steerer tube just slightly at the end. If ...more

From my experience, tubing cutters only flare tube inwards. If that's the case, one of those Noba deburr tools is by far the easiest way to deal with it. Not too sure how common they are though, I have loads of them tongue.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/17/2018 3:38 PM

I didn’t cut it and from what I thought I was running the stem pretty well. Here are picsPhoto

Photo

Photo

|

1/17/2018 3:51 PM

Joe Breslin wrote:

I didn’t cut it and from what I thought I was running the stem pretty well. Here are picsPhoto

Photo

Photo

Get some rough sandpaper and sand down the clamping area until it fits. The stem doesn't look nearly pinched enough to be causing a problem.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

1/17/2018 3:55 PM

Joe Breslin wrote:

Photo

Photo

use a screwdriver to old the back open

|

Hmmm

1/17/2018 7:01 PM

Take the bolts out of the stem and put a peice of metal in it. Put a bolt back in on the threaded side of the stem. Tighten it a bit so the stem spreads apart enough for the stem to slide in.

|

1/17/2018 7:04 PM

sean_gillis wrote:

Take the bolts out of the stem and put a peice of metal in it. Put a bolt back in on the threaded side of the stem. Tighten it ...more

That little trick works great but you don't want to be stuck with it long term. I'd still say he'll be better off just sanding out the clamping area a little.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

1/17/2018 7:28 PM

Yeah like P1 said, juat sand the clamping area of the stem, NOT the streer tube of the fork...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/17/2018 8:07 PM

I sand the clamping area of some of my forks Ive had. Some cheaper forks have paint on the clamping surface...

You can also try sanding the inside of the stem clamping area...i think the freeze stems are painted... Maybe thick paint?

Either way, id rather risk ruining a cheap stem over an expensive fork.

Not saying sanding your stem will ruin it but Id be more comfortable experimenting with the cheaper of the two.

Just to put your mind at ease. I sanded my r25 fork clamping area.

|