How do I know if my bike can run fat tires

Related:
Create New Tag

7/1/2017 12:29 PM

I got a stolen 2011 heist frame I got off somone and I wanna know if it can run fats like 2.4

|

7/1/2017 12:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/1/2017 12:54 PM

If you run brakes DONT get 2.4's they will rub

1- 2.4 is overkill but it's your choice

2- Measure the back end of your bike between the seat stays and chain stays. If it is not about 2.5 wide, you might have an issue.

3- with the wheel and tire on the bike where you like to have your wheel. Measure from the tire to the closest spot on your frame that a tire can touch. You probably need 1/2 an inch more than what your current setup is.

4- With your wheel on still. Look at your brake bridge it's the area of your seat stays where a tube or plate is welded to keep them from spreading. How much room do you have till your tire touches it? You need 1/2 inch about again...less and again issues with bigger tires.

5- Wheel on, look at the chain stays. How far can your wheel be moved from where you like it till it hit/rubs. Same again you need around 1/2 an inch.

That's the hard way to figure it out.

EASY method, call the company that makes your frame and ask. Keep in mind that some will say something like "you can but might have to run your wheel back farther" and they say that because they don't want you to go buy another frame. Meaning it's not recommended but you can try.

I really think you should run 2.2 or 2.3's it's plenty of tire and it is not 2lbs a tire or cost you alot of rolling momentum. Bigger tires make your bike feel sluggish and increases rolling resistance.

|

7/1/2017 11:06 PM

Run 1.95" tires. Problem solved. smile

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

7/2/2017 5:58 PM

Probably not. Most frames from that era had skinny tires in mind so probably not

|

7/3/2017 2:07 PM

I have a 2011 stolen sinner and I run a 2.3 in the rear with plenty of room so... Maybe? Might rub like hell if your wheel went even slightly out of true though.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT