How do I know what tube to get?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/24/2017 9:39 PM

I know I need a 20x2.0 but there are expensive ones a cheap ones. Does it make a big difference? Lets say a $4 tube compared to a $8? And also there are a couple of valves to choose from. I'm not sure which one to get.

First time I ever got a flat, but I'm new to riding anyway.

|

9/24/2017 9:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2017 9:47 PM

I’ve never gotten a 4$ tube but I normally get 8$ because that’s what my local carries. I would say get both and see which one lasts longer

|

9/24/2017 9:49 PM

$8 fucking dollars for a tube? I know Dicks charges that much so I refuse to go there even if I got a flat nearby and have to walk home. the shop I work at charges $4-$5 for tubes, just get the $4 one. Most tubes are all the same anyway. You want a schrader valve, same style cars use so you know what it looks like.

|

9/24/2017 10:10 PM

I also need a wrench to take off the wheel, and one of those tire levers. Are there any reasonably priced multi-tool kits out there to do this task? The hex bolt that connects the wheel to the drop out, how many millimeters is it usually?

|

9/24/2017 10:26 PM

Gavin22 wrote:

I also need a wrench to take off the wheel, and one of those tire levers. Are there any reasonably priced multi-tool kits out ...more

17 mm usually

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/24/2017 10:50 PM

Gavin22 wrote:

I also need a wrench to take off the wheel, and one of those tire levers. Are there any reasonably priced multi-tool kits out ...more

Depends what hub it is. Likely a 17mm but could also be a 19mm. I have the Animal Kotulak multi tool, I like it, but it's a bit expensive compared to the Odyssey travel tool. It also lacks a 19mm and a 15mm socket (which some stock bikes use on the front) so depending what wheels you have it might not even fit. Measure em

|

9/24/2017 11:04 PM

Gavin22 wrote:

Get a tire patch kit, almost always come with at least 2 tire levers.

I buy the cheapest tubes I can find. I use 18" tubes to save some rotational weight.

|

9/25/2017 12:38 AM

I use cheap tubes from the shop I work in, never had a problem with them.

|

9/28/2017 2:28 PM

I bought a hand pump with a built in psi gauge that doesn't read correctly. So I would have to guess based on feel of the tire, my tire has a max of 60psi. I pumped it up a dozen of times, should you be able to compress the tire with your hand, or does it need to have more air to the point you cant squeeze the tire at all? By compress I don't mean a whole lot, just slightly if I press hard.

|

9/28/2017 2:35 PM

Gavin22 wrote:

I bought a hand pump with a built in psi gauge that doesn't read correctly. So I would have to guess based on feel of the ...more

Depends on what you want to ride, I know some people that ride with low psi to get more cushioning on lands and know some like myself that ride nearly max so it feels rock hard to get more speed and pop. I run 80 psi on front and back but I have max 110 tires, last time I ran max 60 I rode at 45 psi

|

Ride till you die

9/28/2017 3:26 PM

Gavin22 wrote:

I bought a hand pump with a built in psi gauge that doesn't read correctly. So I would have to guess based on feel of the ...more

60psi is pretty easy to squish a little bit if you squeeze it.

|