How do you get stripped bolts off of stem

Related:
Create New Tag

10/9/2017 6:13 PM

I have a 2 stripped bolts on the top of my topload stem and I need to get my bars off you I can put my new stem on. How can I get them off, I can’t saw them

|

10/9/2017 6:26 PM

Dremel a slot in them and use a big flat head.

|

10/9/2017 6:35 PM

Get an easy out. Tap it into place, then gently remove. Don't have those/can't get any? Drill out the screws to just ginger the size of the Allen key until the head pops off. Then, once the top is off, grab the remaining stud with a vice grip & remove the rest. Overall, get new bolts.

|

10/9/2017 6:38 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Get an easy out. Tap it into place, then gently remove. Don't have those/can't get any? Drill out the screws to just ginger ...more

I have a new stem and my old one is busted so I don’t really give a fuck about it

|

10/9/2017 7:33 PM

Then just drill out the bolts.use a drill bit that is just slightly smaller than the flats of the Allen key. You drill the heads off pretty quickly. Don't get too excited with the drill speed & use a little oil to for cutting oil.

|

10/9/2017 9:32 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Then just drill out the bolts.use a drill bit that is just slightly smaller than the flats of the Allen key. You drill the ...more

So just drill straight through the bolt?

|

10/9/2017 10:54 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Then just drill out the bolts.use a drill bit that is just slightly smaller than the flats of the Allen key. You drill the ...more

Joe Breslin wrote:

If you dont care about your old stem just cut the two screws that clamp the stem to your fork steerer and cut the 4 screws that hold your bars on.

With a dremel or any kind of thinish cutting tool.

|

10/9/2017 11:33 PM

Just be careful not to cut your bars near the clamping area if you dremel the bolts in half.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/10/2017 4:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2017 4:42 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Joe Breslin wrote:

Yeah. Just drill down the head of the bolt where the allen key would go. When you get down to the threaded area, the head will pop off. Just do the front two or back two first. Once you are thru the fronts (or backs) the remaining two will probably be loose enough to remove with the allen key (that is, unless the stripped bolts are fronts or backs.... if there are both, you'll probably have to drill out several).

|