How do you put on a chain tensioner?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/11/2012 7:11 PM

hey guys i just spent 20 bucks on some demolition chain tensioners and i cant get them to work.. I have the Amber savior Bike, will they even fit? its really making me mad please help me

|

BUBBA

1/11/2012 7:17 PM

|

1/11/2012 7:28 PM

I do this all with my bike upside down. First you take the nut off. Slip on the tensioner. chose the alen bolt that is the correct length to tighten your chain.(some tensioners come with 3 different lengths.) If none of them work you may have to go to the hardware store to buy the right length. Next, take the part that goes against your drop outs put that on your frame, and tighten until you have the chain tension you want.then tighten your bolts on your hub. Sometimes people need to buy a half link for their chain to get them to work. Frames these days have very short rear dropouts. Sometimes you just can't get them to work because of that.

|

5/27/2012 4:40 PM

2620 wrote:

I do this all with my bike upside down. First you take the nut off. Slip on the tensioner. chose the alen bolt that is the correct length to tighten your chain.(some tensioners come with 3 different lengths.) If none of them work you may have to go to the hardware store to buy the right length. Next, take the part that goes against your drop outs put that on your frame, and tighten until you have the chain tension you want.then tighten your bolts on your hub. Sometimes people need to buy a half link for their chain to get them to work. Frames these days have very short rear dropouts. Sometimes you just can't get them to work because of that.

hey do you only put on one tensionor becasue i bought 2. I am also having the problem your friend is having with the dropouts being too small, will a halflink in my chain make the chain tensionor work?

|

6/9/2012 5:22 AM

2620 wrote:

trustus wrote:

hey do you only put on one tensionor becasue i bought 2. I am also having the problem your friend is having with the dropouts being too small, will a halflink in my chain make the chain tensionor work?

I use 2. You might be able to do a half link. It depends on how much room you have in between the axle and the dropout when you pull the chain tight. If there is a lot of room then yes the half link would work, but if there isn't much room then chances are no. It's hard for me to say for sure with out seeing it. Sorry for a late response

|