How do you remove 48 spline cranks?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/24/2014 7:40 AM

When i installed my Subrosa Bitchin' cranks it seemed like it would be very difficult to remove because they where very stiff.I need to grease my bb because Well i was riding to school today and my BB was squeeking. So im typing this from first period...

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

4/24/2014 7:53 AM

Same as always, rubber mallet or wrap the arm with a rag and hit it with a hammer.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

4/24/2014 9:59 AM

Photo
|

It’s all bmx

4/24/2014 10:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/24/2014 10:39 AM

Sounds like a bad situation. I dont recommend ever taking off 48spline cranks until after atleast 2-3months of riding so the splines can wear in. Thats why you ALWAYS maintain your bottom bracket BEFORE installing your new cranks.

If you have to do it now, thread the crank tool (if you have one) all the way in and then give it a good crank to ensure its tight in the spindle. Then go at it with a hammer.

If you dont have one, either get one or go to the hardware store and get a LONG bolt that fits and thread it in a few inches and do the same as you would with a crank tool.

Putting a piece of wood on the backside of your crank arm and wacking it with a hammer will work, but I highly advise you not to do this. Instead of pushing the crank/spindle perfectly horizontally outwards and away from eachother, it will push the crank diagonally away from the spindle which can cause some SERIOUS damage to the splines.

But if theyre freshly installed, I suggest you just deal with it for a few months and let the splines wear in a good amount before messing with them!

Goodluck!

Edit: make sure to grease your splines aswell! #1 most common mistake when it comes to installing/reinstalling cranks!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/24/2014 11:02 AM

I just pull mines out or lightly tap them out with a rubber mallet

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

4/24/2014 3:43 PM

Yeah, guys, he apparently has two-piece cranks so the crank puller won't work. Best bet is the rubber mallet, just turn over the bike and start whackin' away! But yeah, good point; maintain your BB before putting on cranks. First time you ever run near brand new cranks, put a decent amount of grease and ride it for at least a month and kinda hard so that the splines wear in. I've always worn in all of my splines, especially spline-drive sprockets which make installation and maintenance like 5x easier than bolt-drive sprockets.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

4/24/2014 4:13 PM

I installed them on christmas

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

4/24/2014 4:20 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Yeah, guys, he apparently has two-piece cranks so the crank puller won't work. Best bet is the rubber mallet, just turn over ...more

Why wouldn't a crank tool work? Its no different.

You should be fine to take them off. If you hit the back of the crank arm once or twice and it comes off with ease, then it shouldn't damage your splines. Its when you have to go ape shit on it that its common to damage the splines. So give it two good hits and if it doesn't or barely budges, try my first two suggestions

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx