How fast should I progress?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/3/2016 8:05 AM

I'm new to BMX and was wondering if I could have some insight on how fast I should progress and what the process should be like. I come from a BMX racing and downhill MTB background so I'm already comfortable on a bike. I've been riding a little just under a week but find tricks like barspin and tail whips difficult to commit to and try. I can't land 180s and 360 tire taps but just wanted to know if time will naturally make certain tricks easier or not? Any info is helpful, thanks!

|

10/3/2016 8:30 AM

It will mostly depend on how much you practice, and what your body is dispositioned to do.

I have found that things like jumps, bunny hops etc have come very natural to me...but other tricks like barspins, toboggans...anything that demands smaller dexterity type stuff, are foreign to me. I started back in the 70's and 80's with dirt racing and jumps, so that is natural. A lot of the "park" and freestyle stuff is coming to me slower b/c my balance, dexterity, and muscle strength are not hones towards that stuff yet. To me, a bunny hop into a 180 is A LOT differnt than one over an obstacle....like a straight hop.

It took me about 6 months to get my jumping skills back in order (after 20+ years off of BMX, but still in singletrack and bike packing MTcool, but has taken me a year to even get a 90 degree spin going. I can fakie for about 3 feet now, which took me almost 6 months to do, but my spin out of it is sloppy

Interesting too that when I was young, I could manual (we called them wheelies) for like a mile. Now, I am happy if I can get 4 feet...

what I have found is that I also now have a different definition of progression: some of it has to do with the time line that I am learning stuff in, but it also has to do with what I retain. I consider the retention of skills a kind of progression as well as the addition of new. If I retain the balance elements of a fakie, I can also apply them to a manual etc. Tha tis also progression to me.

Hope some of this helps. When I was younger, I always felt like I was "behind" where I should be. It took me a while to readjust my mindset to being more within my own plan, than comparative to other people. We all progress different and it is a waste to judge our skill development based on other people...unless you are getting paid to do it...like if your sponsor is expecting certain amounts of trickery by a given date.

I ride with some guys who won't attempt any tricks. Are happy to just ride to the park, and sit on their bikes and talk. On the otehr hand, my step son learns 4 or 5 tricks a week...rather sloppily I will say...but he is just going for it

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

10/3/2016 9:47 AM

Everything takes time. Don't expect to be pulling tailwhips for another year or 2! I mean, you could if you really want, but you'll be missing out all the fundamentals. There's no point doing tricks if all you can do them on is a flyout. Learn to be truly comfortable on your bike, hopping up curbs to manual, wall rides, basic tricks like tables, x ups, one footers, one handers etc. If you're not comfortable taking one hand off, you sure as hell won't be comfortable taking both off and spinning the bars.
Just enjoy it for what it is and everything else will follow.

|

10/4/2016 10:49 AM

it honestly depend on how hard/often you ride. someone who cruises around for an hour every few days is obviously gonna progress slower than someone who rides constantly and sends himself all the time

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

10/4/2016 11:00 AM

The more you ride and try the better you CAN get.

Hucking attempted flipwhips when you can't clear the jump doesn't necessarily mean you will progress though.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura