How hot does the inside of a hub get?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/25/2013 6:59 PM

Their so much friction in a hub. How hot does it get? Also I put motor oil in my hub because it was bone dry. I thought better then nothing and then I found out motor can combust at about 100 to 140 degrees... It was 10w-40, I'm getting Grease in a couple days...

|

Bang Bang bmx

9/25/2013 7:01 PM

There is no way that your hub is going to catch fire if that's what you are worried about.

Loled so hard

|

9/25/2013 7:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2013 7:24 PM

BNC wrote:

There is no way that your hub is going to catch fire if that's what you are worried about.

Loled so hard

We'll... Umm it kinda did... I went racing and boom... I'm in he hospital I have second degree burns I'm lucky I didn't get anything worst but I'm joking

|

Bang Bang bmx

9/25/2013 7:41 PM

I doubt that 140 makes oil catch file, and I say this because I have tried to light motor oil on fire. It put matches out.

Car engines hit 200ish degrees pretty easily (why you can burn yourself on exhaust etc), so if that was true cars would constantly explode just due to heat alone.

I have used motor oil in skate bearings, everything was fine. A little lube never hurts, but get legit grease.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/25/2013 9:13 PM

3 or 4

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

9/25/2013 9:17 PM

That hoe be hot as fuckkk. Throw some WDs on that bitch.

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.

9/26/2013 12:35 AM

future FBM wrote:

3 or 4

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say 5

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

9/26/2013 6:07 AM

Its prob 140celcius

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/26/2013 6:38 AM

The only time a hub should get hot is if there's too much friction. I could see a hub getting warm if you were going down hill for a while, but that's the only reason it should warm up, aside from direct sunlight. Of course, that's a healthy hub. Throw some grit and gunk into the bearings to create some friction, and they might get warmer, but never so hot as to ignite motor oil. The grease used in hubs is a low temp, light grease anyway. Nothing meant for serious friction.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

9/26/2013 7:34 AM

... he said hes joking in his last post

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

9/26/2013 9:24 AM

This. Hub. Is on fiiiiirreeeeeeeeee.....

|

9/26/2013 10:53 AM

trainwrex wrote:

This. Hub. Is on fiiiiirreeeeeeeeee.....

5 cool points to you, sir!

This thread made me dumberer.

|

I have 75 cool points and 5 awesome points

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

9/26/2013 6:28 PM

No they should not overheat. If it is overheating there is something seriously grinding inside that crap man. haha dude use a little petroleum jelly and you will never have to mess with grease again. haha plus petroleum jelly is only 99 cents haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

9/26/2013 6:58 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

No they should not overheat. If it is overheating there is something seriously grinding inside that crap man. haha dude use a little petroleum jelly and you will never have to mess with grease again. haha plus petroleum jelly is only 99 cents haha

Isn't that Vaseline? Isn't that like really fucking hick tho....

|

Bang Bang bmx