How important are washers

Related:
Create New Tag

2/9/2018 8:53 AM

So I got a new stem , I’m just curious on how important those small ass silver washers are ? 4x had them for the stem faceplate but 2x didn’t have them to clamp the steerer tube . Because my last stem pinched I figured they’d probably be a good thing to have just to help fill up a bit of space and clamp better . My old work didn’t have any , and all the other ones are seized on my old bolts .

Anyways the stem is on now but I’m just wanting some thoughts , I’ll probaby end up grabbing some and tossing them in anyways but I don’t think a week or so should hurt

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/9/2018 9:01 AM

They keep the bolts from wearing into the aluminum. You can get away without running them, but they do serve a purpose.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


2/9/2018 9:32 AM

On my old frame I lost the washer for the back wheel somehow and it ended up digging out a circular groove in the dropout, I think the washer was as hard as the bolt so that it didn't cut out the dropout

|

Hmmm

2/9/2018 9:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2018 10:06 AM

Go to ace hardware or any other hardware store and replace any midsing washers for your stem and dropouts if for whatever reason you are not running them.

If you are running pegs the dropout washers dont need to be there necessarily.

Your stem and dropouts will thank you.

If its already on, there is no point in taking it back off until you get the washers. It will be fine until then. Just dont be tightening them more and youll be good. smile

|

2/9/2018 10:21 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Go to ace hardware or any other hardware store and replace any midsing washers for your stem and dropouts if for whatever reason you are not running them.

If you are running pegs the dropout washers dont need to be there necessarily.

Your stem and dropouts will thank you.

If its already on, there is no point in taking it back off until you get the washers. It will be fine until then. Just dont be tightening them more and youll be good. smile

This post made me remember, I didn't have the washer because it wouldn't fit in the peg and when the peg came off the washer was never replaced.

|

Hmmm

2/9/2018 12:42 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Go to ace hardware or any other hardware store and replace any midsing washers for your stem and dropouts if for whatever reason you are not running them.

If you are running pegs the dropout washers dont need to be there necessarily.

Your stem and dropouts will thank you.

If its already on, there is no point in taking it back off until you get the washers. It will be fine until then. Just dont be tightening them more and youll be good. smile

Edman123 wrote:

This post made me remember, I didn't have the washer because it wouldn't fit in the peg and when the peg came off the washer was never replaced.

The peg more or less becomes the washer if you think about it. wink

|

2/9/2018 2:36 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

The peg more or less becomes the washer if you think about it. wink

This exactly , you don’t need a washer when running pegs . Only if you don’t run them , you should have them

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short