How long?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/15/2018 5:59 AM

Last week i went to my first physiotherapy session and i have been doing the stretches they said i should (about 4 times the minimum they reccomended) and i am miles ahead of where they expected to be in terms of flexibility and a little better muscle tone.
The thing is: he said it could be up to six months before im back to doing anything other than cruising on my bmx,
so my question to anyone who has had any leg/knee surgeries, how long was it before you could get back on the bike?

Fids is back riding and he broke his femur about 3 months ago i think? This makes me think the 6 months they said may be a bit excessive.

|

Hmmm

5/15/2018 6:04 AM

I broke my collarbone and was out for 12 weeks.... they said it'd be only 6 weeks, then we went back and they said 6 more weeks lol, so 12 weeks total...

You're situation is worse, just figured I'd put in my bad luck with healing time in there lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/15/2018 6:05 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I broke my collarbone and was out for 12 weeks.... they said it'd be only 6 weeks, then we went back and they said 6 more ...more

3 months still sucks

|

Hmmm

5/15/2018 6:11 AM

You can do things with incomplete bony union, like walk and pedal around (sitting down is probably their idea of it, as opposed to having to stand all the time due to a slammed seat if you have one), and healing bones respond well to a bit of it (part of the reason for physio, not just to avoid muscle atrophy), but you really want complete before doing hard stuff

If you feel super impatient then another hobby you can really get into would help

|

5/15/2018 6:20 AM

jawn wrote:

You can do things with incomplete bony union, like walk and pedal around (sitting down is probably their idea of it, as ...more

my seat isnt slammed but i might just buy a really long post so i can raise it to about 6-8 inches and sit down to pedal, i can (could) sit down pedal with my seat how it is now (about 3 inches) but i dont think i would be comfortable bending my knee that far since i am hoping to not have surgery on the ACL.

|

Hmmm

5/15/2018 6:41 AM

6 inches...wait...what was the question?

|

5/15/2018 6:42 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Last week i went to my first physiotherapy session and i have been doing the stretches they said i should (about 4 times the ...more

Took me over a year doing physical therapy and the whole nine yards before I was comfortable to start doing regular activities. Still hurts like 2-3 years later but it feels better than it used to.

Hurts the most during sex...

|

5/15/2018 7:15 AM

dead goon wrote:

6 inches...wait...what was the question?

i would usually measure the height in finger widths tall but i dont have 6-8 fingers on one hand so i used inches.

|

Hmmm

5/15/2018 8:30 AM

Edman123 wrote:

3 months still sucks

Ya man, 3 months hella sucked... especially when they told me it'd only be 6 weeks... was fuckin pissed hahalaughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/15/2018 8:56 AM

wait until you have kids and can't ride for months on end then quit and drink beer all day

|

It’s all bmx

5/15/2018 9:24 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

wait until you have kids and can't ride for months on end then quit and drink beer all day

rather cut my balls off

|

Hmmm

5/15/2018 9:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/15/2018 9:48 AM

Welp...that really sucks to hear, but I wouldn't just carve it in stone just yet. Basically my reasoning behind saying that is what the PT's said to you.

If you're doing better than most, keep going and keep trying to improve. Doctors tend to say shit like that to get you to be more careful. Its quite possible that in 2 months they'll say you'll be ready, but who knows.

My biggest suggestion is to err on the side of caution. Obviously its riding season and you're really eager to get back out, but if you go too early and mess yourself up more, that 6 months could turn into 8, 9, or a year. Nobody wants that.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/15/2018 11:32 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

rather cut my balls off

Holy shit i just realised that i put THAT as my 1000th post lmao

|

Hmmm

5/15/2018 11:36 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

rather cut my balls off

Edman123 wrote:

Holy shit i just realised that i put THAT as my 1000th post lmao

From henceforth I will only refer to you as "Ed-Rather-Cut-His-Balls-Off-Man123"

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/15/2018 12:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/15/2018 12:14 PM

Didn't you do do a whole lot of soft-tissue damage? That's why it'll take so long; bones can heal to a considerable amount of their original strength in a very short time(6 weeks for most injuries) whereas soft-tissue injuries rarely heal to more than 80% of their original strength within 6 months and even then, I find that they're never quite the same afterwards. Soft-tissue injuries heal unpredictably and you can re-do the injury very easily for the first while, even just by turning around or stepping off a curb.

I'm currently over 6 months ahead of where I reasonably should be with the sheer amount of damage I did to my ankle according to my physio but I certainly won't be doing anything to test it until at least January; one year off the bike at a time is more than enough for me.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/15/2018 12:32 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Didn't you do do a whole lot of soft-tissue damage? That's why it'll take so long; bones can heal to a considerable amount of ...more

yeah i messed up my acl quite a bit hopefully it doesnt come down to waiting a year (but six months may as well be a year since i only really ride between march - october

|

Hmmm

5/19/2018 12:00 PM

Everyone heals differently. Also just depend on what you feel comfortable doing, and not OVER doing it.
Lots of therapy, supplements, or whatever you got to do to heal fast and efficient.

|