How long did it take you to learn hop bars?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/16/2012 6:07 PM

I know that every kid immediately wants to learn them, and I know my time may not be the same as yours I'm just wondering how long it took everyone?

|

5/16/2012 6:11 PM

Dude Im 5'4 and ride a 20 inch tt and I never Han enough room to do them but on my friends 21 tt I dan do them like nothing. What size top tube do you ride that could be your problem.so really it took me about 5 months but on a bigger bike

|

"You might want to get some knee pads and a family pack of chapstick, I'm afraid its going to be a long night for you".-Austin_Read

5/16/2012 6:13 PM

Im 5'9" and have a 20.5" tt

|

5/16/2012 6:20 PM

That could be part of your problem. Do u have any friends with bigger top tubes?

|

"You might want to get some knee pads and a family pack of chapstick, I'm afraid its going to be a long night for you".-Austin_Read

5/16/2012 6:24 PM

Yeah my buddy has a 20.75 or a 21 I don't really know I just know its pretty big

|

5/16/2012 6:30 PM

Tanner_rides_bmx wrote:

Yeah my buddy has a 20.75 or a 21 I don't really know I just know its pretty big

Try it on his and if u like it get a 20.75 or bigger tt for your next frame.

|

5/16/2012 6:49 PM

I want to learn them so bad.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

5/16/2012 7:19 PM

takes a couple months, just man up and throw the bars until you catch them and figure it out like that, eat shit now so you get it dialed and dont eat shit later

|

5/16/2012 8:20 PM

What is this hop bar you speak of??

|

5/16/2012 8:27 PM

It took me 2 years...
I kept giving up because I thought I would never learn them, and one day at Vans skatepark (that's sadly no more) i saw this kid that was getting close to them like me, but I noticed he was using his throwing arm to kind of guide his bars and I was like "wait a minute....." and I tried it and i landed it first try.... I was the happiest person in the whole world lol.
Sadly, i never did one after that until like a year when I decided that I should just man up and do them. and now I have them pretty dialed :D

|

If you're riding your bike to solely become sponsored one day, you're riding for all the wrong reasons.
As cliche as this is, having fun is the point!

5/16/2012 8:35 PM

took me about 3 years technically.

it should take you about a day if you can spin the bars already though, theres no actual super refined technique for being able to land one, you just have to hop throw and catch, the hardest part is making yourself do it, then they're easy.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

5/16/2012 8:54 PM

Still working on them although I can hop half bar. Been going at it on and off for about 2 months.

|

5/16/2012 9:01 PM

I landed my first within about 2 weeks of trying them I thinkk, after about a year of riding. Didn't get a "good" one until probably 2 years later and even now they're still pretty sloppy

|

5/16/2012 9:02 PM

I learned 'em flat. No flyout AT ALL and I actually had some motivation from Dak at Vans skatepark.

It took me about 3-4 months non-stop and I can easily throw 'em off curbs, 2 sets, and just flat. Now I'm trying to do them off bigger sets.

|

5/17/2012 11:16 AM

a longgg time. i learned them flat. it was annoying becuase i was always really close to them, but always took a foot off. just got them in the last couple of months. i found it helps to learn them if you do '2 wheel hops' (lift the front and back at the same time) and try them with practically no airtime

|

5/17/2012 11:22 AM

YoImBeast wrote:

Still working on them although I can hop half bar. Been going at it on and off for about 2 months.

Don't try half bars for those who are learning its completely different thats Wat fucked me up just go for full ones and man up you you won't regret it

|

5/17/2012 11:26 AM

i think the reason i cant do them is because im the most goofy footed rider you'll ever see

|

Bikes. Cameras. Cars. Beer. NYx845

5/17/2012 11:40 AM

YoImBeast wrote:

skateandbmx14 wrote:

Don't try half bars for those who are learning its completely different thats Wat fucked me up just go for full ones and man ...more

i did half bars first then just hopped a bit higher and through it harder. worked for me

|

5/17/2012 11:42 AM

YoImBeast wrote:

skateandbmx14 wrote:

Don't try half bars for those who are learning its completely different thats Wat fucked me up just go for full ones and man ...more

purefishy wrote:

i did half bars first then just hopped a bit higher and through it harder. worked for me

I can bar spin fine on my friends 21 inch tt but only half bar my 20 inch tt

|

5/17/2012 11:49 AM

cupovjoe wrote:

it should take you about a day if you can spin the bars already though, theres no actual ...more

i made a trampoline bike and can throw and catch perfectly every time but when i hop on my bike my bars just always hit me... im gonna try them with the little bars off the tramp bike haha

|

I put my spoke in her while I twisted her nipple.

5/17/2012 12:01 PM

I'm beginner what is a hop bar?

|

Jesus is my Lord and Savior

5/17/2012 12:02 PM

is it a flat bar spin

|

Jesus is my Lord and Savior

5/17/2012 12:07 PM

zoomer98 wrote:

is it a flat bar spin

Yes when you hop then barspin hence the name.

|

5/17/2012 12:16 PM

metalheadification wrote:

i made a trampoline bike and can throw and catch perfectly every time but when i hop on my bike my bars just always hit me... ...more

lol trampoline bike barspin.. My great grandma who is blind and dumb can barspin on a trampoline while shes hammered drunk. ... so anyone can do it.

Regular barspins howerever did take me quite some time.. I would try, then fail, then think it would just be a trick i could never do. then finally one day i commited and got em. now they are the easiest trick for me to do. wether its air, over a hip or box, flat, down stairs, over rails etc.
just keep trying them and they will come no matter how your bike is set up, its just practice that helps.

|

5/17/2012 12:22 PM

cupovjoe wrote:

it should take you about a day if you can spin the bars already though, theres no actual ...more

metalheadification wrote:

i made a trampoline bike and can throw and catch perfectly every time but when i hop on my bike my bars just always hit me... ...more

SoCalShreds wrote:

lol trampoline bike barspin.. My great grandma who is blind and dumb can barspin on a trampoline while shes hammered drunk. ...more

the guy i quoted said if i could throw and catch em haha but yeah everytime i commit i still cant tuck my knees outta the way, last time i really tried i hit my knee then tried to put my foot down and rolled my bad ankle

|

I put my spoke in her while I twisted her nipple.

5/17/2012 12:43 PM

focus on keeping your knees together above your seat the entire time. as i already stated it, anyone can throw and catch. but the hard part when learning is keeping your knees out of the way and keeping your feet on.

|