How long have you been riding and what have you learnt?!

Related:
Create New Tag

6/11/2017 1:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/12/2017 1:05 AM

Be interesting to hear how long some members on here have been riding for, and during that time what have you learnt ?!

I've been riding just over a year now, and have the following tricks:

- barspins
- full cabs
- 360's / 180's
- fakies / half cabs / five cabs
- smith, feeble and double pegs
- manual 180's / manuals
- grizzlys (this is a weird one but can be done literally anywhere)
- tables (still getting them dialled)
- rock to fakie (first 'big trick' I learnt)
- footjams ( some variables)
- X-UPS
- just started learning whips

I'm still yet to do any kind of transfer that isn't from a quarter into a bank, and can't ride bowls for shit.. I'm more street in terms of tricks (manual lines etc.) but still ride park mainly, and the occasional street spot.

|

6/11/2017 2:12 PM

I've been riding about 22years. I've probably lost as many tricks as I've learnt over the years. I haven't really learnt anything new for a long time, I just stick to what I enjoy

|

6/11/2017 3:48 PM

got my first 20 inch in 1977. went trick ferret crazy for nearly 20 years in the 80's and through the 90's. Forgotten more tricks than most kids will ever learn.

Mostly just hit curb cuts, manual pads and cruise around these days. Unless I'm digging trails and jumping. But I'm no longer doing tricks over jumps. Still as stoked on bmx as I've ever been.

My body hates me.

|

6/11/2017 9:16 PM

A little over four complete years as of now, but my trick list is rather pathetic. I just enjoy the ride and do things with rear brakes. smile

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/12/2017 7:02 AM

pnj wrote:

got my first 20 inch in 1977. went trick ferret crazy for nearly 20 years in the 80's and through the 90's. Forgotten more tricks than most kids will ever learn.

Mostly just hit curb cuts, manual pads and cruise around these days. Unless I'm digging trails and jumping. But I'm no longer doing tricks over jumps. Still as stoked on bmx as I've ever been.

My body hates me.

pretty much this for me as well, though I never really got into the whip, flare, flippy crap. For me it was mostly air and distance with jumps...I am trying to learn 180's and 360's though. That might lead to some other things but I am always just stoked to be on and riding, talking shop, and checking out other people getting into it. I like wrenching and building almost as much as riding....bikes are very pretty machines!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/12/2017 7:06 AM

I've been riding bikes for 26 yrs, I'm 29. Raced for 12 of them. My trick list is pretty short. I can jump stuff, wallride, manual really well, xup, tables, 180/360, grind. I'd like to start trying some more tricks, but I ride alone most of the time and the nearest skatepark with foam/resi is at least a 3hr drive.

|

6/12/2017 7:58 AM

Since 1982, and the list is long and keeps getting added to. I forgot some stuff that I manage to pull and think it's new...only to remember later I have done it before.

One favorite is cliffhangers on dirt or park. And hang 5's or hang 10's. Easy to learn and fun to pull out anytime. I have always loved just big 3's be it with all body parts on or something (or multiple parts off). And turndowns or unturndowns are really fun. Posted a picture of one on here awhile back

|

6/12/2017 8:01 AM

Roose87 wrote:

I've been riding bikes for 26 yrs, I'm 29. Raced for 12 of them. My trick list is pretty short. I can jump stuff, wallride, manual really well, xup, tables, 180/360, grind. I'd like to start trying some more tricks, but I ride alone most of the time and the nearest skatepark with foam/resi is at least a 3hr drive.

Don't let riding alone hold you back. Stuff like barspins, half and full cabs, hang 5's, nose manuals and more can all be learned with nothing but flat ground. Just 150% believe you can do it and go send it.

|

6/12/2017 8:07 AM

Roose87 wrote:

I've been riding bikes for 26 yrs, I'm 29. Raced for 12 of them. My trick list is pretty short. I can jump stuff, wallride, manual really well, xup, tables, 180/360, grind. I'd like to start trying some more tricks, but I ride alone most of the time and the nearest skatepark with foam/resi is at least a 3hr drive.

Gack2000 wrote:

Don't let riding alone hold you back. Stuff like barspins, half and full cabs, hang 5's, nose manuals and more can all be learned with nothing but flat ground. Just 150% believe you can do it and go send it.

Those are all on my to-do list. I really need to do a legit handrail too. I had an opportunity this weekend but got kicked out of the spot after a few run ups. Rails scare me to death and I need to get over it.

|

6/12/2017 11:44 AM

18 + years.

Learned a lot of tricks, stopped doing them, changed my setup a lot.

The most important thing I have learned: Don't worry so much about how many or what kinds of tricks you can do. Be in it for the fun. I have met some of the raddest dudes because of my bike. Traveled a bit too. When it isn't fun anymore, you won't see me riding or here anymore.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/12/2017 12:32 PM

About 4ish 5ish years but if you combine the time I've actually been able to ride it'd be like 1 ish year. Mainly going on and off because I could only really get my hands on Walmart bikes for the longest time so they kept breaking. Shredded the hell out of them and learned so much. As soon as I got my fit I was freaking booming with tricks. In about a few months I had turndowns, 180s (not quite the fakie bit though), one handers, and no footers. Haven't progressed much lately because I never really have time to ride anymore but I'll bounce back sooner or later.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

6/12/2017 12:39 PM

Roose87 wrote:

Those are all on my to-do list. I really need to do a legit handrail too. I had an opportunity this weekend but got kicked out of the spot after a few run ups. Rails scare me to death and I need to get over it.

Same here about rails. Technically never done a legit handrail unless wheelchair ramps count OR a rail that is 5" longer than the distance between my pegs (a double peg is STUPID hard on it) and it is down like 4 stairs. Perfect little ice down rail. But you gotta go dumb slow at it or you miss.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/12/2017 1:10 PM

Roose87 wrote:

Those are all on my to-do list. I really need to do a legit handrail too. I had an opportunity this weekend but got kicked out of the spot after a few run ups. Rails scare me to death and I need to get over it.

I have done rails some, but I tend to not do them. It's not fear, we all learn to grind on ledges for the most part, and I can hit one slow or high speed (I only use metal pegs). Depends on what I plan to do. Rails, seeing I was about 25 when I really started grinding didn't seem like a big deal. I ended up on my 15th rail (double kink with a strange drop after it) blowing my knee for the 1st time riding. Hit the strange angled spot after the rail and my foot blew off. Instinct took over from years riding and racing to put the foot down to slide out. Twisted my knee so hard to the right side the doctor said I probably had no stretch before it tore my ACL/MCL both (rare it doesn't stretch first. Then I blew my other knee on a gap that I put my foot down again. After 3 surgeries for my right and 1 for the left, I just don't want to blow my knee again at 42. I know it's a risk even walking, but ever notice if you really miss a rail how tied up in the bike or rail you tend to get. So, can do them but don't very often.

I don't look at riders that won't do them bad. Just like flips, after Stephen and now Scotty (he wasn't flipping) I choose to not get upside down. Have pulled many flips and flairs to resi but now it seems too risky.

Tip for anyone who wants to do a flair. Medium speed at the ramp, carve a tiny bit (like you want to do a slow 180, maybe less), as your front tire hits the top...turn your wheel just slightly to the direction you want to land. Tuck your chin into your shoulder and pull back slightly as the back tire starts to come up. You don't have to pull hard to flair, it's more about the 180. If you do that you should come very close to landing one 1st go. Give it a try into foam, works.

|

6/12/2017 1:54 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Same here about rails. Technically never done a legit handrail unless wheelchair ramps count OR a rail that is 5" longer than the distance between my pegs (a double peg is STUPID hard on it) and it is down like 4 stairs. Perfect little ice down rail. But you gotta go dumb slow at it or you miss.

This one was pretty mellow with little risk as there was a planter on the other side to bail into if needed. There was also a ledge at the bottom a few inches lower that I easily could double peg. It was about 3-4 inches under bar height. I just wussed out. I'm gonna back after I hit a few more park rails. I really haven't double pegged many rails so I don't feel so bad. The funny part was security coming up to me after clearly seeing me riding and saying "what are you doing here?" So I said "I'm riding my bike." Gave me the private property line and stared at me while I packed up my gear. It's been awhile since I had a run-in with security. Made me laugh.

|

6/12/2017 1:59 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

I have done rails some, but I tend to not do them. It's not fear, we all learn to grind on ledges for the most part, and I can hit one slow or high speed (I only use metal pegs). Depends on what I plan to do. Rails, seeing I was about 25 when I really started grinding didn't seem like a big deal. I ended up on my 15th rail (double kink with a strange drop after it) blowing my knee for the 1st time riding. Hit the strange angled spot after the rail and my foot blew off. Instinct took over from years riding and racing to put the foot down to slide out. Twisted my knee so hard to the right side the doctor said I probably had no stretch before it tore my ACL/MCL both (rare it doesn't stretch first. Then I blew my other knee on a gap that I put my foot down again. After 3 surgeries for my right and 1 for the left, I just don't want to blow my knee again at 42. I know it's a risk even walking, but ever notice if you really miss a rail how tied up in the bike or rail you tend to get. So, can do them but don't very often.

I don't look at riders that won't do them bad. Just like flips, after Stephen and now Scotty (he wasn't flipping) I choose to not get upside down. Have pulled many flips and flairs to resi but now it seems too risky.

Tip for anyone who wants to do a flair. Medium speed at the ramp, carve a tiny bit (like you want to do a slow 180, maybe less), as your front tire hits the top...turn your wheel just slightly to the direction you want to land. Tuck your chin into your shoulder and pull back slightly as the back tire starts to come up. You don't have to pull hard to flair, it's more about the 180. If you do that you should come very close to landing one 1st go. Give it a try into foam, works.

I definitely wouldn't seek out handrails after I do my first one, but I just feel like I can't leave that stone unturned. I've slid a flat rail next to a 3-stair but that doesn't count.

|

6/12/2017 2:12 PM

Been riding something like 8 years. I'm not very good in the number of tricks i can do. I focus on taking the basic tricks to bigger spots. I mainly do 360's, wallrides, and grinds. Coolest trick i've ever done is probably a 180 double peg down a handrail.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

6/12/2017 3:42 PM

For me the coolest was either a whip to pedals, a 270 truckdriver on a step up hip, a legit ONE THROW double bar, OR flip into a foam pit that had waaaay to little foam, so you legit could ride out of things for a couple feet.

Probably other stuff in there too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/12/2017 6:25 PM

kayos_bmx wrote:

Be interesting to hear how long some members on here have been riding for, and during that time what have you learnt ?!

I've been riding just over a year now, and have the following tricks:

- barspins
- full cabs
- 360's / 180's
- fakies / half cabs / five cabs
- smith, feeble and double pegs
- manual 180's / manuals
- grizzlys (this is a weird one but can be done literally anywhere)
- tables (still getting them dialled)
- rock to fakie (first 'big trick' I learnt)
- footjams ( some variables)
- X-UPS
- just started learning whips

I'm still yet to do any kind of transfer that isn't from a quarter into a bank, and can't ride bowls for shit.. I'm more street in terms of tricks (manual lines etc.) but still ride park mainly, and the occasional street spot.

I have learned several tricks already after practicing tirelessly. It was hard at first, but it's amazing to see how well I've developed my skills and tricks.

|

Web Designer at Petstreetmall
"We are your pet supplies expert"

6/12/2017 6:31 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I've been riding about 22years. I've probably lost as many tricks as I've learnt over the years. I haven't really learnt anything new for a long time, I just stick to what I enjoy

Exactly me!!

|