How long should it take to get used to a freecoaster

Related:
Create New Tag

9/3/2016 4:15 AM

Basically, I've ridden about half an hour on it, and I hate it. Should I bother trying to get used to it? Obviously I should, but I'm really not convinced

|

9/3/2016 4:20 AM

I toke off the chain on my cassette and i learned like that it's kind of weird but i hate it

|

I once walked into a gay bar it did not end well

9/3/2016 4:29 AM

I know I need to get used to it. But I can't see how it would actually benefit my riding

|

9/3/2016 6:41 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I know I need to get used to it. But I can't see how it would actually benefit my riding

It really doesn't most people just get a freecoaster to grind and they get use to it and they become lazy and all you see them do is grinds like thecomeup and other bmx channels

|

I once walked into a gay bar it did not end well

9/3/2016 9:01 AM

Everyone who runs a freecoaster that I know says it takes 2-3 weeks to get used to. Don't take it off and don't give up!

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

9/3/2016 9:30 AM

A freecoaster definetly does take some time to get used to. Like Dan said it will take 3-4 weeks. After that try to keep the coaster on for at least 2 to 3 months because it is one of those things that takes time to really see how it affects your riding. After a couple months throw your cassette back on and see which you like better at that point. When I got my first coaster it took a while to actually like it and now I will not go back to a cassette. And I disagree that people just start grinding when they get a freecoaster. It is actually easier to hop out of grinds with a cassette because you have that pedal pressure. I personally think that having a freecoaster makes you ride faster and with more confidence and makes you able to fakie large banks that you would never dream of going backwards down on a cassette. I also find that for me it makes my riding flow more than when I rode a cassette.

|

9/3/2016 9:45 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Basically, I've ridden about half an hour on it, and I hate it. Should I bother trying to get used to it? Obviously I should, ...more

When I first got my coaster bike, I couldn't do ANY tricks. It sucked... But I kept riding it because my friends kept telling me to keep going, that I'd get better with practice. And I did, but this was after changing up the slack, it plays a big part of riding a coaster. My hub had like no slack at all, so it engaged just about every time I went backwards, so I took off all of the slack rings and now it is perfect. I am able to ride it just fine after about 3 weeks of getting used to it, feels like I've ridden a freecoaster my whole life. Just keep going, it really does just need time.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

9/3/2016 12:34 PM

I'll give it one more ride haha. I'm a bit of an Ian Schwartz fan boy, and recently saw seamus mckeons old edits. It seems like fun in theory, I got used to the slack quicker than I thought I would, and it only engaged twice on me when I didn't want it to. But all I do is nibble about, and doing a crank or two backwards doesn't bother me. Trying to relearn stuff that's been almost natural to me just seems a bit backward. Like 180 sliders, I can't do them with a freecoaster, but even if I learn them, what's the real point when I can already do them with a cassette?
Also, I'm a natural Indian giver, so riding fakie has always been awkward, it's just as awkward with a freecoaster as it is without....

Plus I just rawed my profile mini and it looks awesome.

|

9/3/2016 2:31 PM

I never realized how much of a difference a coaster would make, besides going backwards. I went chainless for a week, then decided to buy one. I got a good deal from a buddy at the bike shop, my main selling point. Like you said, I don't see the point in having a coaster when everything is still possible for a rider with a cassette. For me, tricks were harder like tire taps and trying to get that last crank in before hitting the quarter.

If you miss your cassette after a week like I did, I'd say that would be the right time to swap back. I'm still changing from coaster to cassette today, haha.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/4/2016 5:46 PM

About two weeks.

The slack isn't hard to get used to, it's the lack of any sort of feedback on speed.

I really struggled at first, but now I don't think I could go back. It just feels so much smoother and faster.

|

9/4/2016 8:14 PM

should have rode chainless for a good couple of weeks before going in and buying one. if the whole coaster thing is new id say give it a couple of weeks then youll be fine. Coasters are awesome

|

9/5/2016 1:50 AM

Nice man stick with it! Ian Schwartz definitely had some good stuff and stay stoked on it every time u get out to ride

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider