How much should a lbs charge for a tune-up?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/2/2014 9:33 PM

I want my bike dialed but I don't really know how to work on my bike. I have a family owned shop a mile from my house? How much should they charge me? I do not know if it would be cheaper to go into the next city over to get it fixed

|

13 years old

6/2/2014 9:42 PM

About tree fiddy

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

6/2/2014 9:58 PM

You're better off doing it yourself its cheaper and its a good learning experience. All it is is basically tightening bolts have the right spacers and alignment grease up bearings and such. If you are running brakes just make sure you tighten the cable hanger at the rear and have all the bolts snug tight to your likings. Pretty much it

|

6/2/2014 9:59 PM

Pretty sure my LBS charges 60$ for basically everything but bearings and brake cables , I believe 100$ for everything you need but that's on any bikes , so obviously DH bikes will have more to work on for example , you can do everything yourself for a BMX bike really.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/2/2014 10:33 PM

The shop I work at charges $20 for a basic tune up which includes snugging up bolts/nuts, adjusting bearings, re-greasing things if needed, lubing the chain, and truing the wheels. If they needed a part though gear/brake cable, we'd obviously add that price on. And if they needed like a new bottom bracket put in, and the crank arm was seized to the spindle, that usually adds a couple bucks onto the price as well for labor. Typically we do things like that by the job though.

Then again, think about it. If the shop closest to you charged say, $30 for a tune up, and the city over from you charged say, $20, and is like 50 some miles away, that's also a good bit of gas money to factor in as well since it'd be going there, and back (most likely two trips since you'd probably have to leave your bike there, then go back to get it) which could end up costing a lot more than just going to the one closest to you.

|

6/3/2014 10:00 AM

Before I knew what I was doing, my lbs charged me like $30 to tighten a not for an unsealed BB. Total ripoff, since it only takes like 30 seconds and absolutely no effort.

|

IG: therealclintvessey

{\_/}
( • .•)
/-🚲

6/3/2014 10:20 AM

Would it be better to go over to my friends house and have him do it? His bike is dialed so i assume he can dial mine.

|

13 years old

6/3/2014 11:15 AM

My buddy's a mechanic at a gm chev dealer and they'll charge a full hour for a job that takes 2 minutes and all the dealers run on the same system, in the land of mechanics it's not the labour it's the knowledge of how to fix stuff is what your paying for

|

6/3/2014 11:43 AM

Krooked wrote:

Would it be better to go over to my friends house and have him do it? His bike is dialed so i assume he can dial mine.

Yup, have him teach you how to do it too.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

6/3/2014 11:44 AM

Krooked wrote:

yup

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

6/4/2014 3:02 AM

the expensive shop by me charges 50 for a tuneup

honestly, id just do it myself or with a friend if your friend is better with bikes, and pick up what you can from watching him do it

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/4/2014 8:42 AM

It's always a good time working on and cleaning bikes with a fellow rider and a case of beer

|

8/4/2021 9:00 PM

Penis aka weiner

|

13 years old

8/5/2021 8:29 AM

Save you money and buy some tools it’s a investment for future repairs. If your on a tight budget just get a 17mm extended socket and ratchet and a 6mm Allen wrench. That will get you though most everything. I’d like to add that tools is something every grown man should own so maybe it’s time to invest in some grown up shit

|

8/5/2021 10:20 AM

stop being lazy and do it yourself

|

8/5/2021 11:06 AM

Half a can of wd40 usually does the trick with most things

|