How much should it cost to assemble a bike

Related:
Create New Tag

4/17/2019 11:38 PM

So my preferred local shop closed down a month ago. I finally got a new bike, which was a full custom, and I’m a dumbass when putting a bike together. I had to take it to the other competing shop, which was a bigger store in the center of my city, compared to the other, smaller shop right out of the downtown area. I asked how much it’d cost to finish putting the bike together (just the crank arms, tubes/tires, and putting on the wheels) and they said labor alone would total $150 not even adding the seat clamp and pedals/sprocket I bought there. I looked over the sheet and they decided to charge me an extra $50 to build my front end, which was already complete and done right since that’s the easy part. I asked him about it and he immediately takes it off and pretends like nothing happened. So yeah, now I’m stuck paying $100 for cranks and wheel installation (i bought my wheels pre built so I wouldn’t be charged for that too). Is that normal or....

|

4/17/2019 11:52 PM

That would come under a full service kind of charge I guess. Get their price list and add it up. They’ll have a headset fitting fee, bb fitting fee, etc. But bmx are a piece of piss to build compared to anything else. And as it’s a bulk job should offer a massive discount on time taken if everything goes as it should. As a former bike mechanic, I’d charge about £50, maybe a bit more if you had a gyro, for a full ground up build. That should’ve cost you less than $50 imo.
Leave them a shit review on google or something

|

4/18/2019 12:16 AM

.pegless. wrote:

That would come under a full service kind of charge I guess. Get their price list and add it up. They’ll have a headset fitting fee, bb fitting fee, etc. But bmx are a piece of piss to build compared to anything else. And as it’s a bulk job should offer a massive discount on time taken if everything goes as it should. As a former bike mechanic, I’d charge about £50, maybe a bit more if you had a gyro, for a full ground up build. That should’ve cost you less than $50 imo.
Leave them a shit review on google or something

I mean they are the same shop that charged me $55 to true a wheel and didn’t touch it so why not

|

4/18/2019 2:20 AM

watch some youtube videos on it. there is no shortage of them. Spend the money on tools instead if you don't have them already.

|

4/18/2019 4:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/18/2019 4:54 AM

2620 wrote:

watch some youtube videos on it. there is no shortage of them. Spend the money on tools instead if you don't have them already.

APPLETON! Hey... you bitches are slowly, but surely, heading down to Milwaukee!!!

Anyway, Yeah.... it isn't rocket science. & until you build your own bike, you'll be a slave to whatever they want to charge you.

Normally, I'd say around $50-$60 to build a bike. But, I will say this.... that shop is probably giving you the "you didn't buy your bike from us" charge. I have a friend that owns a shop here. Every year there's a huge competitor sale where they sell a ton of bikes. Problem is, those bikes are hastily assembled & sold. I guess they figure it's the price you pay for saving so much money. Well, on more than one occasion, after one of these annual sales, people show up and want the bike "gone over"; not built, mind you. & we (I used to work there) would routinely charge $150+ for a top end road bike. We did a good job, a top-notch job. Everything was correct & professionally installed and adjusted when we were done. If you bought your bike from us, that was included with the purchase and we also added on another year of parts warranty on top of the factory parts warranty. All included because you bought you bike from us. So, the value was charged to the customer who didn't buy their bike from us. They saved on the bike but then couldn't get it properly built and adjusted at the shop they bought it at because they were backlogged with all the other shitty builds they did for the sale AND they didn't pay for it up front. yeah, it's a bit of a shell game. But it is what it is. Anyway, long story short (too late, I know), it's probably the shop owner pissed that you didn't buy the bike/parts from them.

P.S. Find yourself a super cheap complete. Something that is, for the most part, the same as your bike as far as assembly is concerned. Then, watch some Youtube videos & learn.

|

4/18/2019 6:17 AM

Putting a wheel in dropouts should not cost anything since it takes 45 seconds.

Crank install with BB install I could see being 10-20 bucks in a shop-purely because the BB can be a bit of a challenge on some bikes plus tools/knowledge etc.

A full bike build from a pile of parts to a bike (complete built wheels though) is like 100 bucks at the shop I am at, BUT usually I can ala carte it cheaper.

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

4/18/2019 7:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/18/2019 7:12 AM

It should cost:

The price of parts.
The price of a tire tool
The price of a multi-tool
An hour of your time

If you learn how to build the bike now, you'll learn how to fix the bike when it breaks. You'll feel stupid for ever having paid someone to build your bike after you've built it and seen how easy it is.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/18/2019 7:36 AM

BMX bikes are the world's easiest bikes to work on. Nothing makes me cringe like watching how some kids at skateparks try to work on their bikes.

|

4/18/2019 8:03 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Putting a wheel in dropouts should not cost anything since it takes 45 seconds.

Crank install with BB install I could see being 10-20 bucks in a shop-purely because the BB can be a bit of a challenge on some bikes plus tools/knowledge etc.

A full bike build from a pile of parts to a bike (complete built wheels though) is like 100 bucks at the shop I am at, BUT usually I can ala carte it cheaper.

My bb was already in and so was the spindle, I just needed to get the arms In

|

4/18/2019 10:41 AM

if you get ripped off having a shop assemble a bmx bike, I guess you deserve it?

bmx bikes have never been easier to put together.

|

4/18/2019 11:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/18/2019 11:39 AM

65 75 tops, it should basically be considered a tune up in my opinion since its just labor. Think of how much extra tuning goes into a 10 speed road bike vs slapping parts together on a bmx bike.

Park tools are cheap. Don't be embarrassed to ask for help. Theres really nice people on this site.

|

4/18/2019 11:55 AM

You should have just learned to do it yourself, and never need a shop again.

|

4/18/2019 6:35 PM

Dont pay that...that is ridiculous for the work you mentioned...

|

4/18/2019 6:54 PM

If you can't do something so simple, you'd better be prepared to pay somebody who can an exorbitant fee.

Also, if you've done what you said but can't/won't do the rest of it, they'll automatically have to go over anything you've done and check everything is okay. For insurance reasons, if they are going to work on something, they have to be damn sure it's up to scratch and not going to kill somebody.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/18/2019 11:43 PM

pnj wrote:

if you get ripped off having a shop assemble a bmx bike, I guess you deserve it?

bmx bikes have never been easier to put together.

Like my original post said, I’m a dumbass especially when it comes to messing with the drivetrain and shit. I accidentally broke a couple teeth from my sprocket when removing a crank because it wasn’t aligned

|

4/19/2019 2:06 AM

|

4/19/2019 6:21 AM

I hate to conflate this into "THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH AMERICA!" but it kinda is.

This is exactly why healthcare companies can charge you $6,000 for something that costs $400. They rely on people that just say "Oh its too much work to make a couple phone calls and call someone out on it"

Same with Verizon, AT&T, mechanics for bikes, cars, appliances, etc, Home and Auto insurance. You fuckin name it, and I'll show you an accounting department who relies solely on the laziness of the general public.

Self reliance, man. Making one mistake and breaking some teeth off a $40 sprocket and learning is better than needing to drive/walk/hitch a ride to the shop every time your bike has a hiccup, and having to fork over $100 to do it.

Honestly, nobody here is mocking you for wanting to get it done by a shop. I think we all just want every BMXer to be as independent and informed as possible. A good example - I brought both my wheels to a shop 2 years ago to be rebuilt. I could've done it myself I'm sure, but I was lazy and just wanted it done. $250 later my wheels were perfect, and they did a great job...but I could've bought a shitty wheelset for $60, parts for $80, and learned to do it myself and never need help again. PLUS I'd be able to help other riders too, which gets you in w/ your local community.

Stop being afraid to fuck up. Thats how every one of us has ever learned anything. Not to mention, you have a gaggle of BMX retards sitting on the computer all day to help you out.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/19/2019 11:01 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I hate to conflate this into "THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH AMERICA!" but it kinda is.

This is exactly why healthcare companies can charge you $6,000 for something that costs $400. They rely on people that just say "Oh its too much work to make a couple phone calls and call someone out on it"

Same with Verizon, AT&T, mechanics for bikes, cars, appliances, etc, Home and Auto insurance. You fuckin name it, and I'll show you an accounting department who relies solely on the laziness of the general public.

Self reliance, man. Making one mistake and breaking some teeth off a $40 sprocket and learning is better than needing to drive/walk/hitch a ride to the shop every time your bike has a hiccup, and having to fork over $100 to do it.

Honestly, nobody here is mocking you for wanting to get it done by a shop. I think we all just want every BMXer to be as independent and informed as possible. A good example - I brought both my wheels to a shop 2 years ago to be rebuilt. I could've done it myself I'm sure, but I was lazy and just wanted it done. $250 later my wheels were perfect, and they did a great job...but I could've bought a shitty wheelset for $60, parts for $80, and learned to do it myself and never need help again. PLUS I'd be able to help other riders too, which gets you in w/ your local community.

Stop being afraid to fuck up. Thats how every one of us has ever learned anything. Not to mention, you have a gaggle of BMX retards sitting on the computer all day to help you out.

This.

As to auto mechanics, these days there is so much crap in the way that you have to remove half of an engine to change basic stuff.

Shop rates haven't changed much in that line of work over the last 20 years.

Plus it is replace, not repair most often.

With BMX, it is really easy to build, I would suggest taking a little time to learn as you go along.

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

4/19/2019 3:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2019 3:16 PM

Spend the same money on some decent tools.

You can learn to fix anything man. The amount of people I've taught to build up bikes and fix bits and pieces on their cars and every single one of them has found it really easy, just intimidating at first. Luckily BMX's are fairly hard to fuck up. BB is really the only thing that is a bit scary but you can still do it with a hammer, a socket piece and a YouTube video. Chains also take a bit of time to learn. Just remember to measure twice and cut once, and use a decent chain breaker that's made to fit a wide single speed chain.

I can guarantee you it'll be worth it when you inevitably break something while riding and actually know what to do.

|

4/19/2019 5:15 PM

That's nuts man. Build your own bike bud

|

4/19/2019 8:52 PM

I only go to the bike shop for technical stuff I can’t do like spindle bottom bracket and stripped bolt freecoaster regrease and bearings but everything else is easy

|