How often do you ride in the winter?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/11/2018 5:51 AM

It's really hard for me to get out on my bike and ride, due to various factors like work, kids and currently (as I'm in the UK) the weather angry

I leave my bike in the back of my car just so I can grab the odd ride on my lunch for like 30 minutes, which probably happens at the most twice a week, as it is never dry! Then at the weekend I might squeeze another hour at a park, but it hasn't been dry on the weekend for a good month.

Every few weeks I'll hit up an indoor park in the evening, but as you can see I don't get much time at all during the winter.

Just wondering how often you guys get out and ride in the winter?

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

1/11/2018 6:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2018 6:12 AM

I lived in England for 2 years & know that "wet" all too well. It wasn't that it was too cold so much as it was wet everywhere & hard to really ride. I feel for you. I'm not sure what I'd rather have.... your weather or mine (Milwaukee, Wisconsin). Right now (this week) we have enjoyed a reprieve fro the blustery winter. Today we hit 54 degrees F (12c)! Yesterday & t he day before was also nice. BUT, I was working when it was nice the first day & by the time I got home, the sun was setting and it was getting cold again. Then everything started melting & we have had wetness everywhere ever since. Now, today, by the time I get home, it's supposed to drop back into the 20's (-4c) & then in the mid teens (-9.5c) overnight. So, to answer your question, I ride when I can but not very much during this season. Since I am shit at manuals, I did manufacture a quick "manual machine" for the basement. I didn't do the typical wooden setup you may have seen in various vids or pics. I used some angle iron & a ball joint to replace the rear wheel entirely. So far, it's awesome! I sit in front of the TV & practice. Although I am far from mastering manuals, it took me about 20 minutes to find my balance point & I can now regularly find that point & stay balanced for what would be a pretty long manual.

|

1/11/2018 6:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2018 6:08 AM

I ride when it's dry and above 50° F... I don't like the cold it's extremely discouraging and I can't really even ride anyways because my fingers and toes will feel like they want to fall off lol... Bit here on Texas it's rare for it to get under even 40° in the winter, so aa long as it's not wet, raining, or cold, I'm riding!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/11/2018 6:15 AM

Exactly, the cold here is bare-able, but it's the wet, it is always WET!

I have never seen a manual machine laughing Have you put pics up on here? Sounds like a good idea though!

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

1/11/2018 6:20 AM

I try for at least once a week. But i'll ride any time it's dry and above 40F, sometimes i ride in colder but i've got to be desperate.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

1/11/2018 6:48 AM

Not very often. When NYC gets snow, it very rapidly turns into this murky, brown/black/oil slick half solid half liquid mixed with trash, dog piss, dog shit, etc.

It's fucking disgusting and our snow removal is awful. So even if the sidewalks and roads are clear, the spaces between those two are piled with that stuff.

I don't want it on me, my bike, or anywhere in my apt, so I've been on my balance board and working out inside to keep from going crazy.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/11/2018 7:00 AM

Unbelievable. Managed to nip out on my lunch and thought I’d give toothie hangers a go on a small rail, then this happened.

Photo

Not even sure how it happened

|

1/11/2018 7:12 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Unbelievable. Managed to nip out on my lunch and thought I’d give toothie hangers a go on a small rail, then this happened.

Photo

just replace the link its no big deal smile I think I bent my la guardia the same way.

Yeah the cold isnt too bad but yeah the wetness... i hate it.

|

Hmmm

1/11/2018 7:16 AM

I try to ride every day. It doesnt happen always. Sometimes there is snow, sometimes I dont get off with enough daylight to go where I want. I have a few spots that are lit all night around me so Ill go there if there is no water or snow on the ground when I get off late.

I can always ride my garage but the space is limiting But I can practice stalls, fakies, half cabs, 180's etc. Little stuff but its cool having something in case its not ridable outside or bone chilling high winds.

|

1/11/2018 7:20 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I lived in England for 2 years & know that "wet" all too well. It wasn't that it was too cold so much as it was wet everywhere & hard to really ride. I feel for you. I'm not sure what I'd rather have.... your weather or mine (Milwaukee, Wisconsin). Right now (this week) we have enjoyed a reprieve fro the blustery winter. Today we hit 54 degrees F (12c)! Yesterday & t he day before was also nice. BUT, I was working when it was nice the first day & by the time I got home, the sun was setting and it was getting cold again. Then everything started melting & we have had wetness everywhere ever since. Now, today, by the time I get home, it's supposed to drop back into the 20's (-4c) & then in the mid teens (-9.5c) overnight. So, to answer your question, I ride when I can but not very much during this season. Since I am shit at manuals, I did manufacture a quick "manual machine" for the basement. I didn't do the typical wooden setup you may have seen in various vids or pics. I used some angle iron & a ball joint to replace the rear wheel entirely. So far, it's awesome! I sit in front of the TV & practice. Although I am far from mastering manuals, it took me about 20 minutes to find my balance point & I can now regularly find that point & stay balanced for what would be a pretty long manual.

Thats cool as shit. Can you post a pic?

|

1/11/2018 7:25 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Thats cool as shit. Can you post a pic?

I'll post a pic later tonight. It is a bit makeshift as I wasn't sure how it would work so I quickly put together a "prototype" which is what this is.

|

1/11/2018 7:36 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Photo

Edman123 wrote:

just replace the link its no big deal smile I think I bent my la guardia the same way.

Yeah long term it's no problem as I've got spare links and will sort it tonight. But an hour ago when It was a massive deal, as it just shut down the rest of my riding for today sad

|

1/11/2018 7:51 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Photo

Edman123 wrote:

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Yeah long term it's no problem as I've got spare links and will sort it tonight. But an hour ago when It was a massive deal, as it just shut down the rest of my riding for today sad

yeah it sucks, ive ridden chainless for about a week before and it is so frustrating

|

Hmmm

1/11/2018 8:53 AM

Minnesotan here, I ride when I can as long as the weather is 15ish degrees F plus, and then dry.

I've got a couple rails so a clean road, not wet and minimal wind and I try to get out. Otherwise indoor park life.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/11/2018 9:47 AM

I Learned all the basics when I was Living in Denver/Pueblo, Colorado! Going out when it's like 15°F at night to the School parking lot trying to learn to 180! Gloves, Double socks and Long Johns were a must, don't really miss it. I live in Los Angeles now and aside from the occasional rain, I'm sure ya'll know it's ride-able year round here.

|

1/11/2018 5:08 PM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Photo

Is the sprocket still straight?

I went to source tonight, first time I've ridden in about a month. And it was fairly busy so I didn't really ride.
I hate indoor parks, so the wet really bugs me. But I try to ride if it's dry, even if it's freezing out.

I'm really looking forward to the good weather, I've got a lot of riding and bike stuff planned, so I can bare not riding much now smile

|

1/11/2018 5:25 PM

I try to ride every day but the weather has been so bad lately that I haven't been on the bike much at all. Today was the first time in quite a while that I could get out on the bike as it was dry but cold. I'd forgotten how shot my knees are and how bad they are in the cold, one of them just gave in as I was pedaling so I ended up shoulder-checking the ground and possibly dislocating my shoulder.

OP: Imagine how much worse the weather is here! I'm on the far west coast of Ireland which takes the brunt of all bad weather for the rest of Ireland and the UK.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/11/2018 5:30 PM

-40 here tonight and snow half the year , I kind of enjoy not riding half the year I’d get burnt out quick if I had a year long riding season , it’s good to take a break and re charge

|

1/11/2018 6:11 PM

eskimojay wrote:

-40 here tonight and snow half the year , I kind of enjoy not riding half the year I’d get burnt out quick if I had a year long riding season , it’s good to take a break and re charge

That's how I feel I ride during the summer like a mad man, then when it gets cold and rainy I park her for the season.

|

1/11/2018 6:35 PM

all the time because southern california is cool like that

|

1/11/2018 6:46 PM

I prefer to ride in the winter because the parks are empty...people won't come out if it is below 30*F, and I love the cold. I can ride for twice as long in the cold...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

1/11/2018 7:01 PM

I'll come out whenever as long as it's not wet, snow covered, or windy. I rode in 16° weather a few weeks back, bundled up and kept moving and I was fine.

problem is, no one else wants to ride in that shit so I usually get stuck riding by myself lately. Although it is nice going to the park and having it all to myself, minus like 2 or 3 others. Best part is it's too cold for the local hoodrats on girls mountain bikes to come congregate at the park or do wheelies around, they piss me off the most.

|

1/11/2018 7:54 PM

Canada winter , impossible . Even going to underground spots , you’ll be soaked or your tires and shoes soaked . And security kicks you out quick too

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/11/2018 7:58 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Not very often. When NYC gets snow, it very rapidly turns into this murky, brown/black/oil slick half solid half liquid mixed with trash, dog piss, dog shit, etc.

It's fucking disgusting and our snow removal is awful. So even if the sidewalks and roads are clear, the spaces between those two are piled with that stuff.

I don't want it on me, my bike, or anywhere in my apt, so I've been on my balance board and working out inside to keep from going crazy.

Dude, I need a good complete that can withstand the concrete jungle. Haven't ridden in years but I took out my gt performer recently and I think I still got it.

|

1/11/2018 8:31 PM

Over here it's all day. smile Only thing is the occasional downpour.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

1/12/2018 12:34 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Is the sprocket still straight?

I went to source tonight, first time I've ridden in about a month. And it was fairly busy so I didn't really ride.
I hate indoor parks, so the wet really bugs me. But I try to ride if it's dry, even if it's freezing out.

I'm really looking forward to the good weather, I've got a lot of riding and bike stuff planned, so I can bare not riding much now smile

I've not had a chance to have a good look at it yet, but I'm pretty sure at the time it looked perfect. Genuinely not quite sure how I caught it.

|

1/13/2018 1:35 AM

Because of the lovely weather I get up here in the pnw, I would say probably once or twice every 2 weeks.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

1/14/2018 11:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2018 11:10 AM

Just put a little work into my Sunday. Greased and tightened everything. The director forks don't have a hole at the bottom of the steer tube, it's totally sealed down there. Plus the frames gussets are completely welded all around, so there's not many places for water to get in. I figure the Sunday will handle the salt water better. It's also got the black magic coating inside the frame supposedly. Should fare a lot better than my cult, that has a lot more holes to let water in. I'm just staring at my bike right now thinking about going for a ride in this 30° Massachusetts weather. I haven't been out in over a month, I gotta go.

|

1/18/2018 12:36 PM

as long as it's above 32 F/0 C then I'm good, I'd rather go when it's above 40 F, but I like warmer weather so I always prefer summer. This winter's pretty cold, it's getting down to 9 F in MISSISSIPPI! (note, THE HOTTEST FUCKING STATE IN THE UNITED STATES)

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

1/18/2018 12:43 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

as long as it's above 32 F/0 C then I'm good, I'd rather go when it's above 40 F, but I like warmer weather so I always prefer summer. This winter's pretty cold, it's getting down to 9 F in MISSISSIPPI! (note, THE HOTTEST FUCKING STATE IN THE UNITED STATES)

I dont like single digits... Lol

Hopefully no wind at 9°f

|