How often do you work on your bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/20/2015 8:10 PM

I usually have to work on mine about once a week, sometimes twice. Stuff just rattles loose from slamming it around all over the place. When i mean work on it, I'm talking like general maintenance type also. Stuff like checking to make sure your bars are tight, not just a complete teardown and rebuild.

|

8/20/2015 8:22 PM

I work on it whenever it needs it. Sometimes like 3x a week, sometimes like once a month.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

8/20/2015 8:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/1/2015 5:24 PM

a lot recently because everything keeps breaking and pissing me off

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/20/2015 8:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2015 8:34 PM

As little as possible , I hate working on bikes , id much rather work on things that I'm going to learn new things on like a car or something , probably 3 4 times a season

|

8/20/2015 8:39 PM

Mainly only whenever it needs something done to it. Sometimes if that something can be put off for awhile I'll wait until a day I'm bored or have nothing to do, then I'll do it. Usually something like a couple broken spokes that I have to take my wheel off to replace due to my hub guard being there, or truing my wheels or just tightening the spokes

Of course then there's other times I'll be bored and have nothing to do so I'll take a random part off and give it some maintenance which could be twice a week, or twice a month. Really depends.

|

8/20/2015 8:50 PM

Every day because my brakes suck.

|

8/20/2015 9:16 PM

About once a month...

When out riding , if a part or something starts to creak or whatever, I stop and go back home for a quick fix (just 30 meters so aint hard).

But if I'm angry Ill stomp on it until the steam goes off...

I usually start wiping out the dust from my frame and end up by taking my free coaster apart, relubing it, cleaning each spoke…. Realigning my rear tire in the frame….

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

8/20/2015 9:36 PM

I usually only do it if i want a change or feel it needs something. I have to keep it dialed, i hate a rattly mess of a bike. Mine is usually pretty good though. I think i do pretty much when it breaks. thats it really. i change out my stuff a lot though to suit my riding style better.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/20/2015 11:06 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

hit me up biggy, sure i could give ya a hand.

eh basically every single day- i'm always checking to make sure my wheels are trued, axle bolts are tight, brake cables are oiled and secured and my chain is always at the right tension....

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/20/2015 11:10 PM

This made me feel way less O.C.D. That, or I'm just not the only one who's O.C.D.

|

8/21/2015 2:59 AM

I check my tire pressure, brakes, and rear wheel before I ride, so twice a week maybe.

|

8/21/2015 4:09 AM

Only when absolutely needed. I hate working on my bike.

|

It’s all bmx

8/21/2015 5:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2015 10:37 AM

When it needs it or when it is new part day. Also when it doesn't, as I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/21/2015 6:48 AM

Lately, it's been everytime i ride i have to pull shit apart.

Atm one of my front hub bearings is ruined & 4 ride old Demolition tire is ripping itself apart in the dead middle of the tread.

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

8/21/2015 6:44 PM

Like everyday almost or everyother day at least . Wheels always move , seat comes loose , I move it up or down , I tighten everything , search for squeaks , make everything dialed, I tighten my chain all the time , pump up tires etc. If it's raining and I'm bored I'll mess with it haha. If my bike doesn't sound like a basketball when it drops I have to mess with it haha

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/21/2015 7:22 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

dkTechEthan wrote:

eh basically every single day- i'm always checking to make sure my wheels are trued, axle bolts are tight, brake cables are oiled and secured and my chain is always at the right tension....

They're in thst state of being mediocre right now. One lever has no sping tension and i cant take it apart to fix it. So the spoke mod gives itcall of its tension, which isn't much.

|

8/21/2015 9:00 PM

Every damn day. Shit always breaks.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

8/21/2015 10:28 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

dkTechEthan wrote:

biggybuggy wrote:

They're in thst state of being mediocre right now. One lever has no sping tension and i cant take it apart to fix it. So the spoke mod gives itcall of its tension, which isn't much.

shoot me a text with your name and a video of this kinda hard to see the problem without seeing it. could be allot of things. my first go to is slightly loosen the bolt that the lever pivots on, and drip some oil in it. or some grease and take a blow dryer to it and kinda heat the grease up and encourage it to go into the lever more. but oil works better i think.

could also be your cables ya might have damaged housing. very common on linear cables, as for a gyro, make sure your cables are oiled

pm for my number

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/21/2015 10:50 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

biggybuggy wrote:

dkTechEthan wrote:

shoot me a text with your name and a video of this kinda hard to see the problem without seeing it. could be allot of things. my first go to is slightly loosen the bolt that the lever pivots on, and drip some oil in it. or some grease and take a blow dryer to it and kinda heat the grease up and encourage it to go into the lever more. but oil works better i think.

could also be your cables ya might have damaged housing. very common on linear cables, as for a gyro, make sure your cables are oiled

pm for my number

Don't worry, I spent my entire summer interning at a bike shop for the second year now, I know the fix. The inside of the spring area is broken so the spring is now just sitting in there. It's those lowest end tektros with the sping inside some cap and you have to use a crescent wrench to adjust the springs. But I managed to break the insides somehow, so no tension. Give me a lil bit more credit man.

|

8/21/2015 10:52 PM

Photo

These horrid things.
|

8/21/2015 10:54 PM

biggybuggy wrote: Photo

These horrid things.

Um.Photo

|

8/21/2015 10:56 PM

You can't access the spings without taking off those caps, and after dissecting and old pair some dude donated, I found that the brakes are basically rendered useless after taking off those caps and lutting then back on, you're basically breaking them since they're so low quality.

|

8/21/2015 11:05 PM

THOSE THINGS!

get yo self some Evo's man, i thought you had better then that :o !

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/22/2015 5:22 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Like everyday almost or everyother day at least . Wheels always move , seat comes loose , I move it up or down , I tighten everything , search for squeaks , make everything dialed, I tighten my chain all the time , pump up tires etc. If it's raining and I'm bored I'll mess with it haha. If my bike doesn't sound like a basketball when it drops I have to mess with it haha

This exactly.

|

8/22/2015 6:24 AM

Skylight wrote:

About once a month...

When out riding , if a part or something starts to creak or whatever, I stop and go back home for a quick fix (just 30 meters so aint hard).

But if I'm angry Ill stomp on it until the steam goes off...

I usually start wiping out the dust from my frame and end up by taking my free coaster apart, relubing it, cleaning each spoke…. Realigning my rear tire in the frame….

Some of your posts you state riding trails...why do you run a coaster if you ride trails?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/22/2015 8:14 AM

What's wrong with riding trails with a coaster , hucker is a huge trail rider last bike check I seen of his he was riding a demolition rotator hub, he said in the interview the coaster makes him focus more to dial in his no footed tricks

|

8/22/2015 10:22 AM

eskimojay wrote:

What's wrong with riding trails with a coaster , hucker is a huge trail rider last bike check I seen of his he was riding a demolition rotator hub, he said in the interview the coaster makes him focus more to dial in his no footed tricks

Never said anything was wrong with it, but Hucker rides EVERYTHING, not just trails.

Most of the posts I'm pretty sure that dude rides only dirt, so a coaster would be pointless unless you go fakie, which is not common in dirt.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/22/2015 10:37 AM

eskimojay wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Never said anything was wrong with it, but Hucker rides EVERYTHING, not just trails.

Most of the posts I'm pretty sure that dude rides only dirt, so a coaster would be pointless unless you go fakie, which is not common in dirt.

Maybe it came on his bike stock?

|

8/22/2015 10:58 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I don't think it's fair to compare Mike Hucker to the average rider haha. tongue

I'm sure Mike Hucker could still ride trails on a fixed gear hub, doesn't mean its a great idea. smile

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

8/22/2015 11:24 AM

Too much. I can't stand riding it if stuff is making noise and whatnot. I never work on or true my wheels though lol.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.