How tight should I tighten my front wheel nuts?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/30/2020 1:13 AM

I've just cleaned my front wheel and put it back in the bike making sure everything is smooth. How tight should I do up the hexagonal nuts/bolts that hold the wheel in place. I've just don't it snug tight (95% max tightness with arm) of course I could put my bodyweight on the wrench and go more but that'd be too much right? I'm concerned because a bike repair man tightened my front wheel but after some days of trying hop 3's they loosened up a bit until I had to literally ride home with my front wheel dangling lol

|

Control of my bars helps me feel in control of my life.

6/30/2020 5:43 AM

im not sure how tight i tighten my stuff, i kinda just tighten until it feels wrong to go any more. i'd say i'd use about 70-80 percent of my strength tightening my bolts if that makes sense.

|

6/30/2020 9:11 AM

I haven't seen specs on bmx bikes specifically, I usually tighten the axle nuts as tight as I can comfortably get them. I have seen torque specs on some kinds of bikes for axle nuts in the 25-30 ft lbs range.

You could try looking to see if the manufacturer has a spec, but I think most of us just crank it down hard and as long as it doesn't slip or come loose we call it good. If it does slip we crank it down harder next time. I feel it's better to let it slip a bit than to over tighten it a bunch to start with, but I figure there are plenty of people who think the other way too.

|

6/30/2020 9:15 AM

Tight enough that it doesn't fall off.

|

6/30/2020 1:19 PM

What kind of tool are you using? Some tools allow for much more leverage than others.

|

6/30/2020 2:12 PM

Michael Cranston wrote:

im not sure how tight i tighten my stuff, i kinda just tighten until it feels wrong to go any more. i'd say i'd use about 70-80 percent of my strength tightening my bolts if that makes sense.

About what I do too.

|

Control of my bars helps me feel in control of my life.

6/30/2020 2:14 PM

KevoW wrote:

I haven't seen specs on bmx bikes specifically, I usually tighten the axle nuts as tight as I can comfortably get them. I have seen torque specs on some kinds of bikes for axle nuts in the 25-30 ft lbs range.

You could try looking to see if the manufacturer has a spec, but I think most of us just crank it down hard and as long as it doesn't slip or come loose we call it good. If it does slip we crank it down harder next time. I feel it's better to let it slip a bit than to over tighten it a bunch to start with, but I figure there are plenty of people who think the other way too.

Yes cool. What I do already pretty much. Just hate it when you tighten hard and do a few 180s and comes loose right away. Not happening much now though since I went a bit harder on the tighten.

|

Control of my bars helps me feel in control of my life.

6/30/2020 2:14 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

What kind of tool are you using? Some tools allow for much more leverage than others.

Adj. Wrench/Spanner.

|

Control of my bars helps me feel in control of my life.

6/30/2020 3:33 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

What kind of tool are you using? Some tools allow for much more leverage than others.

Mad Mars wrote:

Adj. Wrench/Spanner.

Any pics? Also just for future knowledge a crescent wrench can round off nuts if its not a very precise tool. Gotta make sure its super snug before you apply a lot of torque.

A big ol', crescent wrench will provide a lot of torque, so you gotta be careful.

|

6/30/2020 4:32 PM

I would say if you cant pull the wheel off by hand using force, then that's tight enough, but basically what everybody does just tighten it enough where you can feel it wont go anymore unless you really crank it.It's pretty simple.

|