[How to] Build a Grind Box

Related:
Create New Tag

7/27/2009 2:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 8:56 PM

Copyright Bmx-forum.com


Buy:

-1 piece of pressure treated plywood 4x4 that is 3/4"thick about $35

-A bunch of cheap 2x4's maby $15 or $20?

-2, 8 foot ieces of 1/4" thick 2" wide angled steel (for edge) $20-$25 (each)

-Some paint to protect the wood and make it look cool =) $3-$10

-Screws (1" to 1 1/2") $10?

total: $100 (about)


Dimentions:

The box will be 8 feet long (part you grind). It will be 2 feet wide. And 1 foot high.


Note:

-It wont be the highest grind box but it is enough to grind and only uses 1 piece of plywood

-Ask if the guys at the place you buy the wood if they can cut the plywood (2 1'x8' pieces, 1 2x8 piece)

-you abviously need to drill through the angled iron

-if its your first time buildin stuff just do both sides angled iron but you can do one side with a rail.

-put the ribs (2x4's) every foot underneath the top plywood and put some supports elswhere.



tools:


-saw (preferably electric)

-drill/electric screw driver type device haha

maby other tools also but i can't think right now


here is what it should look like:


[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

You could cut off your penis to save some extra weight...

7/27/2009 2:56 PM

a foot high?

|

7/27/2009 2:57 PM

Brandon8973 wrote:

a foot high?

You can make it to your own preferences .. it's just as an example for how it could look, you can always mak it high if you want.

|

You could cut off your penis to save some extra weight...

7/27/2009 2:57 PM

you probably want it longer than 8ft. mines 12 and its perfect. ive had 6ft and 8ft ones and they arent fun. you can really grind them.

|

Vital's Official New Mod!


FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

7/27/2009 3:19 PM

abod wrote:

you probably want it longer than 8ft. mines 12 and its perfect. ive had 6ft and 8ft ones and they arent fun. you can really grind them.

post pic of ures icr it haha

|

Biggest troll.

7/27/2009 3:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 8:56 PM

http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/I-built-a-ledge,385372

"yeah it only took me 20 for ALL of the wood and angle iron. but the problem was, it was too high and it took like 3 of us to get it in my garage. just too big in general.

[LINK TO IMAGE]



so today i modified it. i made it 15in high instead of 30. it slides AMAZING. i tought some kid how to grind today on it. and i put wheels on the side of it with stoppers so i can ride it like that too.

[LINK TO IMAGE]



here it is when i roll it around/grind the higher side.

[LINK TO IMAGE]




btw its 12ft long"

and i think there is a how to some where in that thread.

|

Vital's Official New Mod!


FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

7/27/2009 3:51 PM

can you post pics of ure front yard setup 2 and how much that cost you get msn man pleasse.

|

Biggest troll.

7/27/2009 3:51 PM

where did you get all the stuff for 20$

|

7/27/2009 3:55 PM

glub wrote:

can you post pics of ure front yard setup 2 and how much that cost you get msn man pleasse.

what?

|

Vital's Official New Mod!


FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

7/27/2009 3:56 PM

kikcer2 wrote:

where did you get all the stuff for 20$

i had all of it leftover from my mini ramp.

|

Vital's Official New Mod!


FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

7/27/2009 4:08 PM

post pics of ure garden setup please? and get msn please

|

Biggest troll.

7/27/2009 4:12 PM

Dude you rock im going to build one of these like soon like 20 mins haha

|

Ill Be Riding Fit Till I Die Nigga!!!!!
Email: jonbryceland@gmail.com

7/27/2009 8:16 PM

The height you had it before is perfect!

|

<insert signature here>

7/27/2009 8:18 PM

iBike wrote:

The height you had it before is perfect!

i can only hop stem height. and i dont want somthing that i have to go all out to get out. i just ride for fun. and hoping that high isnt fun.

|

Vital's Official New Mod!


FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

7/27/2009 8:18 PM

iBike wrote:

The height you had it before is perfect!

30 inches?
id say 25 is about right

|

My nigga Ressler, stay up!
My nigga Babysatan, stay up!
My nigga Copiolet, stay up!
My nigga DakAttack, stay up!
My nigga NCDave, stay up!
My nigga Enzo, stay up!


And I ride for my niggas

7/27/2009 8:23 PM

iBike wrote:

The height you had it before is perfect!

JustRideBMX wrote:

30 inches?
id say 25 is about right

i think 20 would be alright too. idk if its too high its not really fun to learn on. im sorry but i really dont want to learn how to smith to 180 on a 35in ledge.

|

Vital's Official New Mod!


FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

7/27/2009 8:33 PM

tht ledge is fun a slides like butta

|

7/27/2009 8:34 PM

i got a question... if im doing 2x4 supports every foot why do i need such thick wood... couldnt i go down to atleast 1/2 inch wood instead of 3/4. that would save alot on wood.

|

7/28/2009 1:14 AM

kikcer2 wrote:

i got a question... if im doing 2x4 supports every foot why do i need such thick wood... couldnt i go down to atleast 1/2 inch wood instead of 3/4. that would save alot on wood.

Then your deck won't be as stable. Maybey you want to do like manual 180 on the box .. then its better to use the thikker wood.

|

You could cut off your penis to save some extra weight...

7/28/2009 1:18 AM

should have kept it at 30 abod

|

My refs ?... Nigga just ask about me

7/28/2009 1:18 AM

iBike wrote:

The height you had it before is perfect!

agreeee

|

My refs ?... Nigga just ask about me

7/28/2009 5:36 PM

kikcer2 wrote:

i got a question... if im doing 2x4 supports every foot why do i need such thick wood... couldnt i go down to atleast 1/2 inch wood instead of 3/4. that would save alot on wood.

Colony Fan wrote:

Then your deck won't be as stable. Maybey you want to do like manual 180 on the box .. then its better to use the thikker wood.

nah i agree with you there... but even 1/2 is really solid when you got 2x4 braces every foot... i think you could save some wood and do every foot and half with 3/4

|

7/28/2009 6:07 PM

abod wrote:

you probably want it longer than 8ft. mines 12 and its perfect. ive had 6ft and 8ft ones and they arent fun. you can really grind them.

yea i had a 9 ft ledge up on my pyramid funbox, 18 inches high, it was fun, but it was too quick, you definately want 12' or more.

Im thinkin about puttin a 2 ft high 40 ft long ledge between my 8 ft quarter and the 5 ft flybox.
We have enough coping, it's gonna be so much fun.

|

If you wanna know about the TRUTH of the country and world we live in, watch these videos.
9/11 Press for Truth by Families of the Victims
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
The Obama Deception
EndGame - Blueprint for Global Enslavement

7/28/2009 6:15 PM

kikcer2 wrote:

i got a question... if im doing 2x4 supports every foot why do i need such thick wood... couldnt i go down to atleast 1/2 inch wood instead of 3/4. that would save alot on wood.

Colony Fan wrote:

Then your deck won't be as stable. Maybey you want to do like manual 180 on the box .. then its better to use the thikker wood.

kikcer2 wrote:

nah i agree with you there... but even 1/2 is really solid when you got 2x4 braces every foot... i think you could save some wood and do every foot and half with 3/4

if you guys do1/2 or 3/4 inch wood on anything BMX related, im gonna slap you bitches. 2x4's are just as cheap as any size smaller then that. You dont NEED 2x4 supports every foot, unless you plan on having a fucking elephant using it as a circus platform. You can go every 2 to 2.5ft if you want. If you used a 2x8 or 2x10 under the coping side, you could just have one support in the middle, that is if you want that shit to bounce around when you land on it.

When i make a grind ledge, i always use a 2x10 underneath the grind side of the box, makes it solid. Then supports about every 2 to 3 feet is good enough. I've been doin this for about 3 or 4 years, never had a problem.

|

If you wanna know about the TRUTH of the country and world we live in, watch these videos.
9/11 Press for Truth by Families of the Victims
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
The Obama Deception
EndGame - Blueprint for Global Enslavement

7/28/2009 6:19 PM

abod wrote:

http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/I-built-a-ledge,385372

"yeah it only took me 20 for ALL of the wood and angle iron. but the problem was, it was too high and it took like 3 of us to get it in my garage. just too big in general.

[LINK TO IMAGE]



so today i modified it. i made it 15in high instead of 30. it slides AMAZING. i tought some kid how to grind today on it. and i put wheels on the side of it with stoppers so i can ride it like that too.

[LINK TO IMAGE]



here it is when i roll it around/grind the higher side.

[LINK TO IMAGE]




btw its 12ft long"

and i think there is a how to some where in that thread.

PT CRUISER!

|

"I don't care if my dog can eat people, I'll fucking eat people."
"I dunno man, maybe it was a nickname from your bitch, I don't know
thought maybe you had like an albino penis, like the color of a ping-pong ball."

[LINK TO IMAGE]

7/28/2009 6:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 8:57 PM

Colony Fan wrote:

Then your deck won't be as stable. Maybey you want to do like manual 180 on the box .. then its better to use the thikker wood.

kikcer2 wrote:

nah i agree with you there... but even 1/2 is really solid when you got 2x4 braces every foot... i think you could save some wood and do every foot and half with 3/4

EisManX wrote:

if you guys do1/2 or 3/4 inch wood on anything BMX related, im gonna slap you bitches. 2x4's are just as cheap as any size smaller then that. You dont NEED 2x4 supports every foot, unless you plan on having a fucking elephant using it as a circus platform. You can go every 2 to 2.5ft if you want. If you used a 2x8 or 2x10 under the coping side, you could just have one support in the middle, that is if you want that shit to bounce around when you land on it.

When i make a grind ledge, i always use a 2x10 underneath the grind side of the box, makes it solid. Then supports about every 2 to 3 feet is good enough. I've been doin this for about 3 or 4 years, never had a problem.

okay thanks man thats what i was wondering.... casue im seeing a few typos in there lol...

it does say to get a 4x4 sheet of plywood... idk where to get that lol.


so i can do every 2 feet with the 1/2inch... im only going 2 feet wide.

|

7/28/2009 9:16 PM

kikcer2 wrote:

i got a question... if im doing 2x4 supports every foot why do i need such thick wood... couldnt i go down to atleast 1/2 inch wood instead of 3/4. that would save alot on wood.

wow im an idiot, when you said thick wood, i thought you were referencing to the 2x4's. I take it you meant the PLYWOOD. I use half inch plywood on everything. I double layer the ramps, but only single for grind ledges. Keep in mind, you're gonna be beating on that ledge alot, so you wont be doing too much on the deck itself, just mainly the steel. I would definately put a decking support ever 12 to 18 inches with half inch. You dont have to put as many legs on it tho. As far as legs go, every 2 to 3 ft (24 to 36).

|

If you wanna know about the TRUTH of the country and world we live in, watch these videos.
9/11 Press for Truth by Families of the Victims
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
The Obama Deception
EndGame - Blueprint for Global Enslavement

7/28/2009 9:26 PM

well im not planing on folowing the specs on here .

i dont think it will last with that setup. its using the plywood as a side support.

thanks for the help i will post up pictures when its done

|

7/28/2009 9:27 PM

abod wrote:

http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/I-built-a-ledge,385372

"yeah it only took me 20 for ALL of the wood and angle iron. but the problem was, it was too high and it took like 3 of us to get it in my garage. just too big in general.

[LINK TO IMAGE]



so today i modified it. i made it 15in high instead of 30. it slides AMAZING. i tought some kid how to grind today on it. and i put wheels on the side of it with stoppers so i can ride it like that too.

[LINK TO IMAGE]



here it is when i roll it around/grind the higher side.

[LINK TO IMAGE]




btw its 12ft long"

and i think there is a how to some where in that thread.

P0ngPenis wrote:

PT CRUISER!

haha yeah that might be my car. or a ford explorer sport. haha

|

Vital's Official New Mod!


FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

7/28/2009 9:28 PM

i think im gonna ride my ledge tomorrow if the trails arent rideable.

|

Vital's Official New Mod!


FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!