How to Make a BB Press for Less Than 5 Bucks

Related:
Create New Tag

5/4/2018 6:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/4/2018 6:48 PM

Never take a hammer to your bike again. 3/4" bolt will fit 19mm and up spindle sizes, while large cut washers can install Spanish BB's all the way to American. If your center spacer is tight (as it should be), you can use this to move it so a spindle may go through. Measuring out the correct amount of spacers can be done on this too.

As an added bonus, I installed the standard headset on my KIZZ using this tool.

Photo

x1
Photo
x1
Photo
x2
Photo

|

5/4/2018 7:16 PM

Yo I like this! I use a vice, and its a pain in the ass to use the vice... so I'm going to go to Home Depot tomorrow and pick those parts up! Thanks dude!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/4/2018 7:22 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yo I like this! I use a vice, and its a pain in the ass to use the vice... so I'm going to go to Home Depot tomorrow and pick those parts up! Thanks dude!

Oh dont forget, you need decently large wrenches or some other pliers to use this cuz the bolts are pretty big. But yeah no problem

|

5/4/2018 7:34 PM

I'd say to add 2 more of those washers on either side to mitigate any flex in them(just better for the bearings). wink

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/4/2018 7:36 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I'd say to add 2 more of those washers on either side to mitigate any flex in them(just better for the bearings). wink

But thats a whole 80 more cents sad

|

5/4/2018 7:37 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote:

Oh dont forget, you need decently large wrenches or some other pliers to use this cuz the bolts are pretty big. But yeah no problem

Yeah I've got super heavy duty tools here, I don't fuck with those cheap as Chinese tools hahalaughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/4/2018 7:43 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote:

But thats a whole 80 more cents sad

It's not entirely necessary though. Shall we call it an upgrade? tongue

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/4/2018 8:34 PM

Great idea, totally using this next time I need to install bottom bracket bearings!

|

5/4/2018 8:42 PM

I just use my hammer

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/4/2018 8:44 PM

I usually just push them in by hand.

|

5/4/2018 10:53 PM

jbales wrote:

I usually just push them in by hand.

Lol

|

5/4/2018 10:55 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I just use my hammer

Same. I even have dents on some of my bearing covers and they still ride fine. wink

|

5/4/2018 11:48 PM

that's essentially what a BB press is anyway haha I theorized you could make one of those for super cheap awhile back on here, good to see it confirmed.

Photo

|

5/5/2018 12:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2018 12:46 AM

Double stack the washers, grease the threads and it goes nice and smooth.

Dang you got ripped on hardware prices. Find a place that charges by weight!

|

In midschool bike rides you.

5/5/2018 1:22 AM

Nice work. smile

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

5/5/2018 6:51 AM

DrewH85 wrote:

I know someone like you. He'll return something to a charity shop for a refund because he found one cheaper elsewhere.

This dude makes a bearing press for 5 bucks and meanwhile, I'm using a $80 one that does the same thing.
Why are you complaining? Lol

|

5/5/2018 8:03 AM

That's what I've been using for years.

|

5/5/2018 8:06 AM

DrewH85 wrote:

jbales wrote:

I know someone like you. He'll return something to a charity shop for a refund because he found one cheaper elsewhere.

This dude makes a bearing press for 5 bucks and meanwhile, I'm using a $80 one that does the same thing.

you wasted $80 on a bearing press when you are capable of pushing them in by hand?

|

Hmmm

5/5/2018 8:24 AM

DrewH85 wrote:

jbales wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

you wasted $80 on a bearing press when you are capable of pushing them in by hand?

I'm getting on a bit. I'm not as strong as I used to be.

Photo

|

5/5/2018 12:46 PM

I made one of these a while back after watching a YouTube vid. I would recommend putting the a nylon washer and a smaller washer between the nut and the big one. Helps the metal washers not to bind and spin on your B.B. as it goes in

|

If you build it, they will come

5/5/2018 2:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2018 2:29 PM

It's good to see some Vital users over on the /r/BMX sub-reddit!

|

5/5/2018 4:14 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Never take a hammer to your bike again. 3/4" bolt will fit 19mm and up spindle sizes, while large cut washers can install Spanish BB's all the way to American. If your center spacer is tight (as it should be), you can use this to move it so a spindle may go through. Measuring out the correct amount of spacers can be done on this too.

As an added bonus, I installed the standard headset on my KIZZ using this tool.

Photo

x1
Photo
x1
Photo
x2
Photo

This is an old trick... but it works amazing!

I use 2 washers on each side just to be safe. One I made years ago was always tossed around the garage and one washer got kinda bent. Went to press in the BB and one bearing was not flush so I had to resort to a rubber mallet. And it was an just such an angle that it took about 10min to get it flush.

|

5/5/2018 4:15 PM

I've been using my home made press for years, it is an old 14mm bmx wheel axle with some big washers on it. I use 19mm axle nuts with a 19mm wrench and an adjustable wrench for the other side.. but over the years I sanded my bb shell on my frame a few different times so the bearings slide in easier, which now I don't even use my bearing press because a rubber mallet easily does the trick with some grease.

|

5/5/2018 8:06 PM

|

5/6/2018 7:17 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

that's essentially what a BB press is anyway haha I theorized you could make one of those for super cheap awhile back on here, good to see it confirmed.

Photo

I got one of these off ebay a couple years ago for $15 shipped... Works awesome!

I tried the DIY, but the nut started going through the (2) washers on each side. lol

|

5/6/2018 8:56 PM

I used my moms cutting board and a mallet . Hadn’t given me issues it , besides a bit of dough in my B.B.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/6/2018 9:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/6/2018 9:04 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I used my moms cutting board and a mallet . Hadn’t given me issues it , besides a bit of dough in my B.B.

... and your mum beating you with it when she finds a dirty, greasy, bearing shaped indent in it... laughing

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

5/6/2018 9:34 PM

Excellent thread. A little bit of trivia: '19mm' spindles are actually 3/4"

|

5/6/2018 10:43 PM

jawn wrote:

Excellent thread. A little bit of trivia: '19mm' spindles are actually 3/4"

So that's 19mm plus a spec of dust.

|

5/7/2018 4:13 AM

That's real deep man

|