How to Pull Out of a Fakie???

Related:
Create New Tag

8/30/2018 6:49 PM

Every single time I try to pull out fakie from doing a 180 or coming down from my small dirt ramp, I can't ever do one. I don't rip the pedals, trying to pedal backwards as fast as I can. I slowly and carefully pedal backwards and have great balance most of the time. When I lean to my left and turn my bars toward that way as well, nothing happens or I just choke up. I don't know if it's practice or I'm just doing something comepletely wrong, but I would appreciate some advice. Thanks

|

Gone Fishing

8/30/2018 7:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/30/2018 7:07 PM

Don't give up. It took me a looooong time to learn this and I'm still not even that great, but I know exactly how you feel.

It's definitely practice, because anyone can give you any amount of advice, that doesn't mean it'll click. What worked for me is using a smooth quarter and getting comfortable enough in the fakie where I could set up this sequence:

-Get balance rolling fakie

-Get your feet to where you're comfortable hopping naturally (LFF/RFF)

-Turn your bars ever so slightly in the opposite direction of your spin (I'm LFF and spin clockwise so I turn the bars to the left) This is just to start getting you to rotate. If you can fakie for a bit, try just doing it in a circle to get the feel for how this motion sets you up

-Yank the bars up and sideways

-Right after you yank up the bars (like half a second, if that), put some pedal pressure down and use the engagement to help you pivot on the back wheel. (I've been told that eventually this is seen as a bad habit, but I'm finding the more I get comfortable doing the rollout the less I need pedal pressure to help me)

- Complete the rotation with your hips and body weight. This is the hardest thing to impart over text. Its a feeling that'll come with practice.

All I can say is, don't give up and don't count yourself out. I never thought I'd be able to pull it off in a million years but it clicked one night, and that feeling is half the reason I ride.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

8/30/2018 7:08 PM

Literally just practice. It'll most likely take a while but you'll get theresmile

Just practice, practice, practice!smile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/30/2018 7:08 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Don't give up. It took me a looooong time to learn this and I'm still not even that great, but I know exactly how you feel.

...more

Great advice, thanks man

|

Gone Fishing

8/30/2018 11:05 PM

Easiest way to learn getting out of a fake is by intentionally over rotating a 180. I went quite in depth about it in the how to section ages ago

|

8/31/2018 12:46 AM

Turn your head and shoulders. This is the answer to every single "I can't do X" question where X is a trick that involves rotations. You can roll out of a fakie without needing to turn your bars or pressing your pedals (although it's much easier), the main thing is to lift your front wheel and turn your head to where you want to go.

Don't give up, once you land a few, you will very quickly become consistent at it.

|

8/31/2018 8:58 AM

I've been working on fakies for 3 months now and I finally got a roll out the other day. Now, I have to KEEP working on them so I can finally do a 180, fakie, roll out and finally have an actual trick I can do.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm9jP0SgC_Y/?taken-by=shoelessjoek

I was so stoked to do this. I'm so lame.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

8/31/2018 12:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2018 12:44 PM

One thing I've noticed with my fakies is that you need to lean into the opposite side a lot more than feels comfortable at first. So if you roll fakie and want to turn back to regular towards your left shoulder, you'll lean to the right. It gives a nice boost to the turn and also compensates some of the momentum that tries to make your bike tip over to the left side. When you try to stay completely on top of the frame it can be hard to get the front wheel up and get the motion going.

|

8/31/2018 12:44 PM

Oh also, going faster helps. Normally people try to go slow and tip over. Just go fast at the quarter pipe/bank and youll have more speed going backwards when you start to come down the ramp and then you will have more balance and youll get it dudesmile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/16/2021 3:25 PM

Fatalize wrote:

Turn your head and shoulders. This is the answer to every single "I can't do X" question where X is a trick that involves ...more

This is what did it for me. Made an account on Vital just to say thanks for helping finally dial this trick.

|