How to build "poppier" lips on dirt?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/24/2013 5:00 PM

My lips are okay but not great, just give me like 1.5 feet of air. How do i build lips with more pop? Should it have vert?

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

8/24/2013 5:09 PM

Lol make the lip bigger and steeper...

|

Why be the same when you can be different?
Official Vital Buddy: Chrisaustin

8/24/2013 5:12 PM

LDewey wrote:

Lol make the lip bigger and steeper...

One is like 5 feet but it is extremely hard to air out. Like you get no air

|

I ride for my papou.

8/24/2013 5:55 PM

Hmm. I make a lot of jumps, ask Stocksy. You really gotta know what you want and consider the angle. You gotta really just take the shovel, and the first shovel you dig at the top of where the jump will be, you gotta dig into it right. If you want it to shoot you high, but not far, just dig it more straight up. If you want to have it so it shoots you outwards, dig it a bit different. I grew up thinking of ways to dig jumps out of stuff. I have a few that i have done, i dont really have a good shovel. I only have a spade, no flat one, but it still does it alright! you just gotta know what you want. The lip is at the top, and what makes the angle of the lip work well is the bit going to it, it has to be right, like a gently swerve up will send you easier, but if you want it to really throw you, dig in more and have the jump more straight up and less of a swerve up to the lip. If you have any questions about it, ask.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/24/2013 9:22 PM

If you want "poppier" lips you should tighten the transition. So take the lip that you want to make poppy and keep the angle at the top of the lip but make the length of the lip shorter. I wouldn't recommend this though b/c it really feels like shit to ride. What you should do is just make whatever the run in to that jump make you go faster.

Another thing you could do is mellow out the transition if it's super steep. I think that this is probably quite a good idea since you're new to dirt and mellow landings/lips are a ton easier to ride than steep ones.

Oh and you definitely don't want to have a vert lip

|

My Old* Steed

Click here and follow me :D
Twitterrr

8/24/2013 9:28 PM

Make them steeper or go faster

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

8/24/2013 9:34 PM

jacobf wrote:

If you want "poppier" lips you should tighten the transition. So take the lip that you want to make poppy and keep the angle at the top of the lip but make the length of the lip shorter. I wouldn't recommend this though b/c it really feels like shit to ride. What you should do is just make whatever the run in to that jump make you go faster.

Another thing you could do is mellow out the transition if it's super steep. I think that this is probably quite a good idea since you're new to dirt and mellow landings/lips are a ton easier to ride than steep ones.

Oh and you definitely don't want to have a vert lip

This is amazing thank you so much

|

I ride for my papou.

8/25/2013 6:23 PM

Steeper angle = higher but shorter distance.

Mellow angle = lower but farther distance.

Find the happy medium and you have the most fun. Trails with multiple types of jumps are the best.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura