How to choose a frame..a

Related:
Create New Tag

4/13/2014 10:58 PM

How do you guys choose a frame? I was wondering if soneone could explain like what a higher bb, standover, steeper head tube ect would do? I am trying to decide between a Fit Wifi, BSD WZA and a BSD Passanger and i cant really decide.. aldo if you ride one of these frames what are the pros and cons

|

Bang Bang bmx

4/14/2014 4:32 AM

Ok so, I dont know what are that specs for, but I know this guys love the Fit Wifi, don't know why...

|

4/14/2014 4:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2014 4:54 AM

Head tube affects front end tricks like hang fives and nose manuals. The steeper the headtube, the easier it is to get into one, but it can also make it easier to go over the bars or to drop the back end. A more relaxed head tube makes the bike more stable. So for example a 75-75.5 degree head tube would be better for street and park and a 74 or 74.5 would be better for trails.

Chain stay length generally affects manuals, stability, and hops. A longer chain stay is more stable and makes it easier to stay in a manual. A shorter chain stay makes the bike spin more quickly, get into manuals more quickly, and hop easier. It makes it easy to loop out on hops and manuals though, and it can be more unstable in the air. So for example for street chain stays are generally 12.8-13.75ish,and trails are generally 13.5+.

I'm not sure about the exact details (meaning numbers) but I know standover and bottom bracket height affect how tall your bike feels. For example my bike has a lower bottom bracket height so it feels lower to the ground, and my friends bike has a higher bottom bracket and it feels taller.

Tl;dr: the steeper the head tube and the shorter the back end the more responsive a frame is, and the mellower the head tube and the longer the back end the more relaxed the frame is. Keep in mind these aren't set in stone, for example I ride park on a bike with a 75.5 HT angle and a 13" slammed chain stay. I'd suggest riding friends bikes and seeing what frames feel best

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

4/14/2014 4:55 AM

Also what do you ride?

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

4/14/2014 5:08 AM

Steeper ht angle= more balance in front trick tricks. SHorter cs more responsive.
All those frames are street orientesd, the less responsive is the bsd, and the most the wza.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

4/14/2014 10:04 PM

bmxfromma wrote:

Also what do you ride?

An s&m atf right now

|

Bang Bang bmx

4/15/2014 1:19 AM

My frame has :
21″Top Tube
13.75″Chain Stay
Standover 9
9.25 Rise And 30 Width Bars
Sprocket : 25T , 9T Driver.

The Head Tube doesnt say sad How I know it?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/es/es/bicicleta-de-bmx-stereo-bikes-5-aniversario-ltd-edition-2014/rp-prod106682

|

4/15/2014 2:54 AM

Email stereo but following the rest of the geo, i bet its 74.5

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

4/15/2014 2:57 AM

So the specs are good for trails or street?

|

4/15/2014 3:47 AM

kokyandrei wrote:

So the specs are good for trails or street?

MOre park and trail oriented. I t also depends on the offset of the forks, lenght of cranks.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

4/15/2014 6:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2014 6:00 AM

Taller BB ALSO means you will need taller bars to not feel hunched over, lower BB means you will be less hunched with shorter bars (if that makes sense)

Shorter frames can feel twitchier than longer. But what was stated above covers it pretty well.

Ultimately you will get comfy on anything and used to it. But those details can aid in the frame that might fit your style best.

Longer=stable at speed and in air but harder to get into mannys and spins

Shorter = twitchy at speed and in air, spins and mannys are easier to initiate.

Steeper HT angle means easier nose trick starts, shallower means harder to start nose tricks.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/15/2014 10:45 AM

Write every frame on dans on a piece of paper throw them all in a hat shake it up and grab one out done > asking the vital forum what frame you should get

|

4/15/2014 11:37 AM

Higher BB means higher hops.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

4/15/2014 10:59 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Write every frame on dans on a piece of paper throw them all in a hat shake it up and grab one out done > asking the vital forum what frame you should get

Well.. maybe one of the frames has thin tubing for ghd hain dtays of something.. i hax 3 frames in mind and ii couldng chose so i asked vital..

|

Bang Bang bmx

4/16/2014 2:17 AM

eskimojay wrote:

LOL

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

4/16/2014 2:50 PM

T-rider wrote:

Steeper ht angle= more balance in front trick tricks. SHorter cs more responsive.
All those frames are street orientesd, the less responsive is the bsd, and the most the wza.

wrong. It makes it easier to get into front end tricks, but the balance point is basically the same.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

4/16/2014 2:50 PM

Shortdude wrote:

Higher BB means higher hops.

This, folks, is the current intelligence of the vital community...

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

4/16/2014 4:11 PM

Just get the Passenger

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/16/2014 5:18 PM

Don't listen to that^^^

Seriously pick one out of a hat live on the edge

|

4/16/2014 7:21 PM

Okay, think, what tricks do i want to do? What tricks do i struggle with? Do i need something light or in between or does weight actually not matter?

Ask yourself these few questions:

Bad at manuals?
If yes, then a short chainstay is ideal, otherwise, go for something 13.5 and up or close to what you already have.
Do i suck at nose manuals?
If Yes, then get something around 75-75.5
Street, Park, Or Dirt?
This is what you ride the most, so if you ride street the most (hard, light, or tech) Hard street would be nothing too responsive, if light, same thing. If tech, get a responsive frame.
Am i twitchy or smooth?
If you are twitchy, maybe you need something less responsive. If you are smooth, maybe stick to that geo.

When picking which brand to get, completely forget the riders and the names on the stickers, and the color for that matter. Look at the specs. For grinders, STRONG heat treated dropouts, preferably thick, is ideal. If you are of the crank grinding type, you may want to look into a more dent resistent frame. If you are one who beats their frame a lot, butted tubing isnt ideal. If you want a stiff frame, something that is fully heat treated is great.

Lastly, How tall are you? and how much room is necessary? If you are 5'9" and up, a 21" can be fine, if you are shorter than 5'9" 20.75 is ideal and if you are below 5'4" 20.5 and under accordingly.

Look at each frames reviews after you have your ideal geo set up, look at the manufacturer of it, the warranty, etc.

Good Luck

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

4/16/2014 9:15 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Okay, think, what tricks do i want to do? What tricks do i struggle with? Do i need something light or in between or does weight actually not matter?

Ask yourself these few questions:

Bad at manuals?
If yes, then a short chainstay is ideal, otherwise, go for something 13.5 and up or close to what you already have.
Do i suck at nose manuals?
If Yes, then get something around 75-75.5
Street, Park, Or Dirt?
This is what you ride the most, so if you ride street the most (hard, light, or tech) Hard street would be nothing too responsive, if light, same thing. If tech, get a responsive frame.
Am i twitchy or smooth?
If you are twitchy, maybe you need something less responsive. If you are smooth, maybe stick to that geo.

When picking which brand to get, completely forget the riders and the names on the stickers, and the color for that matter. Look at the specs. For grinders, STRONG heat treated dropouts, preferably thick, is ideal. If you are of the crank grinding type, you may want to look into a more dent resistent frame. If you are one who beats their frame a lot, butted tubing isnt ideal. If you want a stiff frame, something that is fully heat treated is great.

Lastly, How tall are you? and how much room is necessary? If you are 5'9" and up, a 21" can be fine, if you are shorter than 5'9" 20.75 is ideal and if you are below 5'4" 20.5 and under accordingly.

Look at each frames reviews after you have your ideal geo set up, look at the manufacturer of it, the warranty, etc.

Good Luck

What do you mean by twitchy rider?

|

Bang Bang bmx

4/16/2014 9:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2014 9:27 PM

Most frame geometries are simply Fads nowadays. My best advice is to go to some different skateparks and ask people If you can ride there bikes. Then based on what feels the most comfortable to you will help you with your decision. Here is what feels comfortable to ME. I dont mind having 75 degree Headtube I like the quick response and I dont ride much Trails. The standard headtube used to be 74. I also like A longer Chainstay because I dont like the feeling of looping out on everthing. I like to have a 9" standover because I like being able to use my seat for stability and to sit on while Im resting. I have a 21" top tube because I dont like to feel crowded on my bike. Im currenlty riding the new Haro Lineage and its a well rounded frame. Im also getting a Standard STA with about the same geometry. So just like my Reply, all of the above replies are just opinion based. No one geometry is going to effect a rider the same way. So, seriously the best thing you can do is get out there and test some bikes and decide what feels the best to you.

|