How to deal with people watching you practice tricks

Related:
Create New Tag

12/30/2019 1:25 PM

I don't have social anxiety or nothing it's just that I feel pressured when people watch me ride and it makes it harder to practice cuz I'm thinking about that instead of the trick. It doesnt help that none of my friends ride so I go solo and have no one to help me relax ya know? I'm a beginner by the way I started riding about 2 weeks ago my bike was an early Christmas gift

|

12/30/2019 2:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/30/2019 2:04 PM

I'm usually riding at 10-10:30 at night and I'm out in front of my own house. My neighbors might peek through their drapes if they hear me but I doubt it.

Now if you're around a lot of people, you just have to get used to it. Try to not think about the other people. I know, easier said than done. But I for sure would rather work on tricks I'm shaky on by myself.

Maybe just tell yourself no one really cares and if they care in the right way they're gonna be helpful. If they're judgy they're not worth a second thought. I know, still easier said than done.

|

12/30/2019 4:18 PM

If you see other bmx riders, go talk to them. Most are friendly and supportive, especially with someone new to the sport. I'm 36 and watch 20 year olds crush skateparks. They're all super supportive too. They'll cheer me on for simple tricks like a manual to a hop up to 180 out. Meanwhile, they're on the other side of the park throwing whips and bars. Bmxer's are cool.

|

12/30/2019 6:50 PM

Headphones in. Ignore.

Is it just random people walking around watching you? Or other riders at the park / street spot?

|

12/30/2019 7:01 PM

Put them out of your mind and think about the trick. Or use that anxiety to perform better, use that fear of looking bad to push yourself. Also who gives a damn what people think so who really cares. It also helps once you get better because you can show off.

|

12/30/2019 7:09 PM

tempocyclist wrote:

Headphones in. Ignore.

Is it just random people walking around watching you? Or other riders at the park / street spot?

My local skatepark is a hang out spot for lots of sketchy people that don't even ride or skate so they just sit around and watch, and when I ride street people watch me out of their cars n shit

|

12/30/2019 11:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/30/2019 11:50 PM

tempocyclist wrote:

Headphones in. Ignore.

Wes_Escobar wrote:

My local skatepark is a hang out spot for lots of sketchy people that don't even ride or skate so they just sit around and watch, and when I ride street people watch me out of their cars n shit

At skateparks especially if you are new just learning you have to understand that you aren't the first and only person out there trying to learn stuff. So all of these people have see it before. You just have to do your thing and have fun doing it. I'm 35 years old and quit riding daily back in 2003. I just recently started riding again so I'm kind of in the same boat but that feeling is going away pretty quick. And the other riders it will help to talk to some of them to get some inspiration and help. I remember being at Louisiville KY big skatepark one summer and just happened kink and odyssey was filming for the first Props megatour. I watched Ryan Sher do a super flat tabletop over a little box roller and at the time I was trying to get my tables flatter. I rode right up to him and asked him what the trick was. He told me some things I didn't know. As for street everyone is going to be watching you regardless. You got to get over that lol. Being seen in public is part of life really.

|

12/31/2019 5:58 AM

just don't worry about them. They're not judging you.

|

12/31/2019 10:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/31/2019 10:48 AM

Nobody cares

|

12/31/2019 12:22 PM

it never bothered me. I wear headphones when i ride. focus on you and the trick. But i also like to ride in shows/demos/contests so im used to people watching and rather enjoy it

|

12/31/2019 12:54 PM

I don't mind it if I'm drinking..lol I'll ride around the patio, fakie off the bar..lol.. For real, we had a contest, before I got my BMX, on a friend's MTB, who could ride into and out of a tiny enclosed patio, at the bar, without putting a foot down.. We obviously were customers long before (years) the bikes came into play.. But I sometimes let other people I know try it out. It seems if you can get them involved, they are no longer watching, they are part of it too.

On another note, I actually seem to ride better in front of people, the little bit of pressure can help sometimes, especially if you're trying to avoid running them over, like on a patio situation.

|

1/1/2020 2:04 PM

Funny story I was practicing tricks for in a dead end and a cop comes and parks and just watches me. Strange but I just put on my headphones and mind my own business so I’d say fuck the other and just worry about you

|

1/1/2020 3:57 PM

noobnoob wrote:

Nobody cares

LETTERKENNY!

Just try and ignore them and do your thing. Let them watch. At the end of the day nobody really cares and perhaps you've entertained them for a few minutes. It's all good.
|

1/1/2020 5:43 PM

noobnoob wrote:

Nobody cares

tempocyclist wrote: LETTERKENNY!

Just try and ignore them and do your thing. Let them watch. At the end of the day nobody really cares and perhaps you've entertained them for a few minutes. It's all good.

Hard yes. Only Canadians know. All the other 10-ply lurkers are missing out. Unfortunate.

|

1/1/2020 6:07 PM

They probably think you look rad. I was in Shanghai at SMPand had the park to myself. I was in the 20' foot tube thingy, not even close to airing it, and there was a tour group watching me. They took pictures. Doing anything on a bike looks cool to someone who can't do anything...

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

1/1/2020 10:04 PM

Wes_Escobar wrote:

I don't have social anxiety or nothing it's just that I feel pressured when people watch me ride and it makes it harder to practice cuz I'm thinking about that instead of the trick. It doesnt help that none of my friends ride so I go solo and have no one to help me relax ya know? I'm a beginner by the way I started riding about 2 weeks ago my bike was an early Christmas gift

Honestly best way try and make freinds with the people at your local park it’s the easiest way to get over them watching becouse you’ll know them be comfortable around them or go crack ass of dawn I when I started would ride 6-9 almost no one would show up

|

1/1/2020 11:29 PM

My way of getting around all the people at a skate park is going at the crack of dawn. It's actually nice having the whole park to yourself to do whatever. And to sulk in your own sadness when you can't do no footed can cans over the hip. You know.. ........ ... . .

|