How to get your bars right every time.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/8/2017 2:53 PM

I hear a lot of riders obsessing about the bar position and getting it just right can sometimes be frustrating. Today I came across an idea that should help get them there every time.
Once your bars are in a position you love, just mark a line with a sharpie (or your fave color of nail polish) on the stem and bars where they meet (in an inconspicuous place preferably) and presto, you'll know where to put them every time. this may have been posted before so sorry if it's redundant but I thought it was useful.

|

3/8/2017 3:42 PM

5 lbs hammer & a small screwdriver works

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

3/8/2017 4:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/8/2017 4:02 PM

To get that perfect position I look my bike from the top to see the fork dropouts only and I adjust my bar postion using my stem bolts as repair by how the crossbar covers them.
Crossbar between bolts, covering certain bolts fully or partially, just check how it is when you like it and remember that setting.
I personnaly love when the crossbar covers half of the front bolts. Photo
(hard to take the pic to make it look real, it looks a tiny bit more forward than how it really is)

|

3/8/2017 4:10 PM

Sean_Goff wrote:

I hear a lot of riders obsessing about the bar position and getting it just right can sometimes be frustrating. Today I came ...more

Simple, yet effective.

My bars don't tend to slip, and I rarely take em out of the stem so it isn't something I come across, but I like it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/8/2017 4:33 PM

Am I the only one who still rides their bars parallel with their forks? I feel like that's not so common anymore, but that's what I do

|

3/8/2017 4:37 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Am I the only one who still rides their bars parallel with their forks? I feel like that's not so common anymore, but that's ...more

Nope, I'm still here with you. It's the only way I will comfortably ride. Dunno why, but it irritates me to see bars that aren't this way, but that's just me.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/8/2017 5:23 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Am I the only one who still rides their bars parallel with their forks? I feel like that's not so common anymore, but that's ...more

readybmxer wrote:

Nope, I'm still here with you. It's the only way I will comfortably ride. Dunno why, but it irritates me to see bars that ...more

Same. I do too. Too far forwards makes my bike feel too long and awkward, and too far back makes my bike just feel wrong. In line with the forks feels best.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

3/8/2017 11:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2017 1:15 AM

I used to ride my bar inline with the fork for years, then I started moving it a bit more and more forward to see how it felt.
And I like the added room (even if I ride a 21.4" frame now) it also help to do any front wheel manoeuver.
If I move it a touch forward from where it is now it feels like shit, the handling becomes twitchy and the bike tends to nosedive which is not cool.
About that nose diving feeling, the frame size matters alot, if I rode my bars the position it is now on my old small 21" frame I landed nose heavy everytime I sent a powerful hop 3, so no way to send a 3 down stairs with a nose diver bike (or say good bye to your wrists... and teeth eventually). So with a 21" frame I had two options, ride my bar a hair forward from the fork then feel cramped (and the classic lower back pain who goes with it) or ride it too far forward to earn room then die.
For anyone wondering, I'm 6'1 and I love roomy bikes.

|

3/8/2017 11:54 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

Nope, I'm still here with you. It's the only way I will comfortably ride. Dunno why, but it irritates me to see bars that ...more

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Same. I do too. Too far forwards makes my bike feel too long and awkward, and too far back makes my bike just feel wrong. In ...more

This as well . Rode them a bit forward but always have them come back to being inline . it's just "right" for me . I feel weird if it's not aligned

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/9/2017 1:31 PM

Generally, lined up with forks, since I'm on directors I have to line up with the headtube. No big deal, same difference.

|

3/9/2017 4:41 PM

Photo

This is where I feel comfy! A little bit forward. But I'm 6' 2" and on a 21" frame. I run 9in bars with a top load and a 29" width. Pic makes it seem more excessive than it is but I've always run my bars the same
|

3/11/2017 3:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2017 3:25 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I still do too. We're probably the only people here still stuck in 2009-11 haha.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.