How to make a homemade crank installer-remover

Related:
Create New Tag

3/27/2020 1:22 PM

Hi vital I am just wondering how to make a homemade crank installer-remover as I just got my first pair of 48 spline cranks and want to have one for easy service but none of my lbs have one and I don't want to spend 20$ just for a tool i could make for probably 5$ all replies are greatly appreciated.

|

3/27/2020 2:03 PM

Honestly I’ve never had 48’s before but I’m sure you could use a bearing puller or something like that.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

3/27/2020 2:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2020 2:04 PM

Assuming they're a pretty normal set of 19mm cranks, a 3/8"x24TPI bolt and some washers larger than the spindle boss should make a pretty good install tool. The bolt would need to have a good number of threads engaged so when it starts pulling the crank on, it doesn't damage the threads in the spindle.

For removal, you could just put that same bolt into the spindle and hammer on it, again, ensuring that enough threads are engaged to avoid damaging the spindle threads.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/27/2020 2:29 PM

a vice
a C clamp
A hammer / piece of wood
A bolt / washers as suggested above

don't forget to put grease in the frame where the bearings are going.

|

3/27/2020 2:31 PM

pnj wrote:

a vice
a C clamp
A hammer / piece of wood
A bolt / washers as suggested above

don't forget to put grease in the frame where the bearings are going.

... and on the spindle.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/27/2020 2:38 PM

Ok thanks for your response I will probably go to lowes later today thank you all.

|

3/27/2020 6:34 PM

You mean a hammer?

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

3/27/2020 6:59 PM

BmxInTheUsa wrote:

Ok thanks for your response I will probably go to lowes later today thank you all.

probably should stay home so this fucking virus can die out......

|

3/27/2020 9:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2020 9:02 PM

There has only been one case near me but yes i will probably wait its just so annoying thanks to the virus I have been waiting for a new antigram driver for 2 weeks basically odyssey was going to get a new shipment but then this whole corona thing has slowed it down apparently,ug this is so dumb.

|

3/27/2020 9:16 PM

You might not need that tool, my profiles do, but my Kink ones don't need it. Just make sure you grease everything either way.

|

3/28/2020 7:01 AM

BmxInTheUsa wrote:

Hi vital I am just wondering how to make a homemade crank installer-remover as I just got my first pair of 48 spline cranks and want to have one for easy service but none of my lbs have one and I don't want to spend 20$ just for a tool i could make for probably 5$ all replies are greatly appreciated.

Whenever I’m having a hard time removing cranks I’ll loosen it completely and just ride for a few pedals till I feel it wobble then it usually slides right off. Idk if that’s right or not but I’ve been doing it like that for a long time with no real issue or damage caused... the same idea can be used for stubborn car tires. When all else fails loosen the lugs and drive the car forward and reverse a few feet and she will come free.

|

3/28/2020 8:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2020 8:06 AM

Ok thank you for your responses I really appreciate them.

|

3/28/2020 8:55 AM

rainescustoms99 wrote:

Whenever I’m having a hard time removing cranks I’ll loosen it completely and just ride for a few pedals till I feel it wobble then it usually slides right off. Idk if that’s right or not but I’ve been doing it like that for a long time with no real issue or damage caused... the same idea can be used for stubborn car tires. When all else fails loosen the lugs and drive the car forward and reverse a few feet and she will come free.

That will cause excessive wear on the splines over time. The 48 spline interface is supposed to be a precision fit; any wobble, whether the bolts are loose or not, would be indicative of wear/damage on the splines.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/28/2020 9:10 AM

BmxInTheUsa wrote:

rainescustoms99 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

That will cause excessive wear on the splines over time. The 48 spline interface is supposed to be a precision fit; any wobble, whether the bolts are loose or not, would be indicative of wear/damage on the splines.

I’ve never run that many spline so I wouldn’t know. Nine spline spindals are all I’ve ever known and I know those have a little play. Something to keep in mind though guess I won’t be doing that anymore lol. Plus I’ve only ever had three piece cranks so removal was never an issue. Besides on my unicycle and an older rusted bike. Still not a bad trick when your in a pinch.

|

3/30/2020 5:36 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

You might not need that tool, my profiles do, but my Kink ones don't need it. Just make sure you grease everything either way.

Yea new profiles need it for sure.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

3/30/2020 5:54 PM

threesomemist wrote:

Yea new profiles need it for sure.

On that note, if anyone wants to make a crank tool for 19mm Profiles, the GDH spindle has a different bolt size to the solid spindle:

GDH: M12x1.25
Solid: 3/8"x24TPI

For the Columns, the thread size is M17x1.25.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/30/2020 8:08 PM

governor of washington just officially quarantined us i'm fucking pissed now who knows when i can shitting ride again.

|

3/30/2020 9:19 PM

lol

|

3/30/2020 9:32 PM

pnj wrote:

lol

Yeal lol

|

3/30/2020 9:39 PM

pnj wrote:

lol

BmxInTheUsa wrote:

Yeal lol

You're not allowed outside of your house?

Or what?

We are allowed to ride bikes, fish, hunt, hike, stroll, loiter solo.. Just don't try to get a haircut in Michigan..

|

3/30/2020 10:43 PM

i cut my own hair.. and it shows.

people are out and about. I went to the store like 2 days ago and it was PACKED with humans. but not toilet paper.

the weed stores ARE OPEN though. so....

|

3/31/2020 6:40 AM

pnj wrote:

lol

BmxInTheUsa wrote:

Yeal lol

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

You're not allowed outside of your house?

Or what?

We are allowed to ride bikes, fish, hunt, hike, stroll, loiter solo.. Just don't try to get a haircut in Michigan..

we can really only leave our houses if we need to other than that they are starting to crackdown even more this is what Gov Jay Inslee said yesterday.

|