How to ride bowls?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/9/2019 12:47 PM

So, in my area, it's rare to see a skate park with a bowl or that is concrete. However, when I do get the chance of coming to one that has a bowl, it's really cool and new to me. I know how to drop in, fly out, or air out, I don't need tips on those. I remember that someone told me that when riding a bowl, there is a pattern you ride. Something like steep transitions to lower transitions? I don't really know, I was a beginner at the time. If anyone can make sense what I'm trying to say and tell me how this works I'd appreciate it.

|

sponsor me

8/9/2019 7:48 PM

Just go fast and carve

|

8/9/2019 10:39 PM

Do you know how to pump? That's really the "trick" to riding bowls. You shouldnt really have to pedal. If you don't know how, find a pump track and spend some time there.

|

8/9/2019 11:38 PM

Da Biker Boy wrote:

Do you know how to pump? That's really the "trick" to riding bowls. You shouldnt really have to pedal. If you don't know how, find a pump track and spend some time there.

I agree with this.

It doesn't matter what kind of transition you're leading into, if you can adjust your body and properly pump the rhythm, you'll be able to keep your speed and ride the bowl.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: Reyn Honbo - RH MEDIA

8/10/2019 2:28 AM

Just pump and try to find a good line ... start to ride an 8 and then think about other lines.

|

8/10/2019 9:26 AM

If you want to air high the key is going straight up the transition with no carving

|

8/11/2019 11:17 AM

Da Biker Boy wrote:

Do you know how to pump? That's really the "trick" to riding bowls. You shouldnt really have to pedal. If you don't know how, find a pump track and spend some time there.

Well, yes I do.. Maybe not the best though. So, I'm gonna need some practice then.

|

sponsor me

8/11/2019 11:04 PM

secret to riding a bowl is written on the bottom of an ice cold pbr 24oz

|

13 years old

8/12/2019 8:42 AM

SlavBMX wrote:

So, in my area, it's rare to see a skate park with a bowl or that is concrete. However, when I do get the chance of coming to one that has a bowl, it's really cool and new to me. I know how to drop in, fly out, or air out, I don't need tips on those. I remember that someone told me that when riding a bowl, there is a pattern you ride. Something like steep transitions to lower transitions? I don't really know, I was a beginner at the time. If anyone can make sense what I'm trying to say and tell me how this works I'd appreciate it.

Bowls are basically continuous berms. Pump them same you would a berm. Drop in with some speed and you shouldn't have to pedal once you get pumping down. Enter high, pump in the apex of the turn, exit high and drop back in. When you air out, don't forget to pump the re-entry as well. The harder you pump the more speed you'll get. Have fun figuring out the park and creating lines!

|

8/13/2019 4:24 AM

Everyone has covered almost all bases, but the best advice I have is to roll in and see where you end up. Drop in at different locations, with different speeds, carve different points of the bowl and don't be afraid to experiment. Some of my favourite lines in my favourite bowls started out as accidents.

|

8/13/2019 5:03 AM

I’m stealing the tread for a related question; does anyone have tips on how to air with a pool coping? That thing always sends me to flat when I bump the tires into it!
Do you pick up the front wheel before it hits the coping or let both wheel hit it, like a normal qp?

|

8/13/2019 5:09 AM

MH wrote:

I’m stealing the tread for a related question; does anyone have tips on how to air with a pool coping? That thing always sends me to flat when I bump the tires into it!
Do you pick up the front wheel before it hits the coping or let both wheel hit it, like a normal qp?

If it's a bigger quarter, I've found you've gotta push through like a vert rider would. Let both wheels hit, but pump up instead of out, and extend over the deck. It's kinda hard to explain, but watch a vert rider air and you'll see what I mean

|

8/13/2019 6:52 AM

SlavBMX wrote:

So, in my area, it's rare to see a skate park with a bowl or that is concrete. However, when I do get the chance of coming to one that has a bowl, it's really cool and new to me. I know how to drop in, fly out, or air out, I don't need tips on those. I remember that someone told me that when riding a bowl, there is a pattern you ride. Something like steep transitions to lower transitions? I don't really know, I was a beginner at the time. If anyone can make sense what I'm trying to say and tell me how this works I'd appreciate it.

mikebo wrote:

Bowls are basically continuous berms. Pump them same you would a berm. Drop in with some speed and you shouldn't have to pedal once you get pumping down. Enter high, pump in the apex of the turn, exit high and drop back in. When you air out, don't forget to pump the re-entry as well. The harder you pump the more speed you'll get. Have fun figuring out the park and creating lines!

Haha funny you say berms, because yesterday I was invited to go out riding on a mtb park and I just crushed the trails and berms better than I would ever imagine. I think all that berm riding definitely will help me out in a bowl now. Btw, when riding berms typically you would drop your crank towards the direction your riding on the berm. Is this the same for bowls? or should I just level out my cranks.

|

sponsor me

8/13/2019 6:58 AM

SlavBMX wrote:

So, in my area, it's rare to see a skate park with a bowl or that is concrete. However, when I do get the chance of coming to one that has a bowl, it's really cool and new to me. I know how to drop in, fly out, or air out, I don't need tips on those. I remember that someone told me that when riding a bowl, there is a pattern you ride. Something like steep transitions to lower transitions? I don't really know, I was a beginner at the time. If anyone can make sense what I'm trying to say and tell me how this works I'd appreciate it.

mikebo wrote:

Bowls are basically continuous berms. Pump them same you would a berm. Drop in with some speed and you shouldn't have to pedal once you get pumping down. Enter high, pump in the apex of the turn, exit high and drop back in. When you air out, don't forget to pump the re-entry as well. The harder you pump the more speed you'll get. Have fun figuring out the park and creating lines!

SlavBMX wrote:

Haha funny you say berms, because yesterday I was invited to go out riding on a mtb park and I just crushed the trails and berms better than I would ever imagine. I think all that berm riding definitely will help me out in a bowl now. Btw, when riding berms typically you would drop your crank towards the direction your riding on the berm. Is this the same for bowls? or should I just level out my cranks.

I was about to say if you’ve ride trails before it would definitely help your bowl experience, im not much of a part and bowl rider but because of my experience in trails before i got into street i am able to spot lines and feel out the bowl

|

Testimony and apologies





I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.






instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

8/13/2019 7:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2019 7:09 AM

SlavBMX wrote:

So, in my area, it's rare to see a skate park with a bowl or that is concrete. However, when I do get the chance of coming to one that has a bowl, it's really cool and new to me. I know how to drop in, fly out, or air out, I don't need tips on those. I remember that someone told me that when riding a bowl, there is a pattern you ride. Something like steep transitions to lower transitions? I don't really know, I was a beginner at the time. If anyone can make sense what I'm trying to say and tell me how this works I'd appreciate it.

mikebo wrote:

Bowls are basically continuous berms. Pump them same you would a berm. Drop in with some speed and you shouldn't have to pedal once you get pumping down. Enter high, pump in the apex of the turn, exit high and drop back in. When you air out, don't forget to pump the re-entry as well. The harder you pump the more speed you'll get. Have fun figuring out the park and creating lines!

SlavBMX wrote:

Haha funny you say berms, because yesterday I was invited to go out riding on a mtb park and I just crushed the trails and berms better than I would ever imagine. I think all that berm riding definitely will help me out in a bowl now. Btw, when riding berms typically you would drop your crank towards the direction your riding on the berm. Is this the same for bowls? or should I just level out my cranks.

Level cranks keep your body in the optimal “ready” position. It may feel odd railing berms at first with cranks level but you will get more comfortable with more practice. 👍

|

8/13/2019 7:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2019 7:14 AM

Forgot to mention, there’s ways you can combat the urge to dip one pedal through berms. For instance, enter the berm high and early, at the apex if the berm dip your lower core into the berm through your knees and pedals, do the same with your elbows through your handlebars. This will sink you into the berm and give you a good pump, creating more speed as you exit.

|

8/13/2019 11:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2019 11:11 AM

mikebo wrote:

Forgot to mention, there’s ways you can combat the urge to dip one pedal through berms. For instance, enter the berm high and early, at the apex if the berm dip your lower core into the berm through your knees and pedals, do the same with your elbows through your handlebars. This will sink you into the berm and give you a good pump, creating more speed as you exit.

Oh, that was my first thought for riding berms, but I was told that dipping your pedals into the berm would cause you to lean more into to it so you can clear it really fast.

|

sponsor me