How to stop brakes squeaking ???

Related:
Create New Tag

4/3/2010 6:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2016 1:49 AM

My brakes make a really high pitched squeak every time i brake. I dont really care if they squeak a bit, but at the moment it is SOOO loud lol.

Does anyone know how to stop it from doing that ?

|

BMX 4 LIFE,20 inches of pure freedom

4/3/2010 6:28 AM

are they new?

|

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000120996960

""""\___/""""

does this make my signature look fat?

4/3/2010 6:29 AM

squash96 wrote:

are they new?

Yeah, pretty well. They have been on for about a month now

|

4/3/2010 6:32 AM

squash96 wrote:

are they new?

BMX LIFE wrote:

Yeah, pretty well. They have been on for about a month now

o well i meant like u just got em like a day ago. hm...... idk why they squeakin. oh well. i tried. lol

|

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000120996960

""""\___/""""

does this make my signature look fat?

4/3/2010 6:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/3/2010 6:55 AM

adjust the pads so they tow in a little. You want the tips of the pads to hit the rim first. Are your brake mounts on the chainstay or seatstay?

|

4/3/2010 6:54 AM

chrome rim?, wipe down the rim and clean the peds with nothing but water. sometimes sweat or other stuff gets on the wheel without you realizing. let the natural dust take over after you clean it with water, it's gonna squeak soon after but let it settle in.

|

visualize the action then actualize the vision.

REFS on my Profile.

IG: PictureMikeyRollin

BIKE CHECK

4/3/2010 6:56 AM

bmx214 wrote:

adjust the pads so they tow in a little. You want the tips of the pads to hit the rim first. Are your brake mounts on the ...more

Yeah they are like tht

|

4/3/2010 6:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2016 1:49 AM

Mike - E wrote:

chrome rim?, wipe down the rim and clean the peds with nothing but water. sometimes sweat or other stuff gets on the wheel ...more

Na, Its a painted rim with clear pads.

Ok, ill try tht

|

4/3/2010 7:01 AM

I cant remember which way you want to tow the pads, lol... but mine did the same thing (painted rims, clear pads) and towing the pads took it away. If towing them a bit one way doesn't take it away, try towing them the other way. It's all in the way the pads are adjusted.... just keep messing with them until it goes away.

|

4/3/2010 7:03 AM

bmx214 wrote:

I cant remember which way you want to tow the pads, lol... but mine did the same thing (painted rims, clear pads) and towing ...more

Alright, sweet. thanks

|

4/3/2010 7:57 AM

what i did is took some rough sandpaper and just roughened up the brake pad and it worked great. and it gripped better

|

4/3/2010 8:22 AM

clear pads squeak you silly!

|

.Trinity Bikes Freestyle team.
.Ride for fun, its what matters.
4 years in this shit SWAGGGGG$$$$$$##

"I'd punch a little kid dead in the face if he came at me with a knife, I don't care how old you are, don't fuck with me. "

4/3/2010 8:33 AM

funtington wrote:

clear pads squeak you silly!

yeh, but mine are so much louder then most peoples.

Its a fun way to scare the shit out of people on the streets lol

|

4/3/2010 8:47 AM

Windex rim
Sand pads

|

Sigs are for Pigs

4/3/2010 9:49 AM

squeaking means they work goooooood

|

refs: Spikez5, cokacola, dacumup213 (x2), josh estey, Blake El Gingero, naters14, Harry95, pcoco, hattrckhcky, bstick, kevinl, Sunday.bmx21, dgisback, iridebmxeveryday, I RIDE

4/3/2010 9:53 AM

take them off?

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

4/3/2010 9:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/3/2010 10:03 AM

put somthing sticky (like simple green)(i think)on the rim, it dosent rub and your breaks stick right away

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

Subscribe to me on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/senika5634?feature=mhee

4/3/2010 4:32 PM

Verde. wrote:

take them off?

I was brakeless you retard, but i went back tongue

|

4/3/2010 4:35 PM

mine squeak so much

if you have a chrome rim they squeak louder

i spray simplegreen/powerpurple on my rim.

that makes the pads stick better but it makes it louder

|

i love fat chicks <3

4/3/2010 6:06 PM

gstring02 wrote:

squeaking means they work goooooood

12345 and clear pads squeak like a horn.

|

m.o.e.

4/4/2010 4:03 PM

The back of the pad should touch the rim first... place a dime about half way under the front of the pad and squeez the brake.
[LINK TO IMAGE]
Tighten the pad and do the same for the other side. Doing this and sanding the pad / cleaning the rim should take away almost all of the squeeling.

|

4/5/2010 8:58 AM

bmx214 wrote:

The back of the pad should touch the rim first... place a dime about half way under the front of the pad and squeez the brake. ...more

Shit! My bad! I was in a hurry when I took this pic... the dime should be on the opposite end of the pad! So the part of the pad where the dime is now is hitting the rim first... OOPS, sorry!

|

6/12/2016 8:21 AM

I have green chrome rims and i cant figure out how to stop them from squeaking. Im not sure if i should replace the pads because they are new! Please help

|

6/12/2016 9:14 AM

k_1bikelyf wrote:

I have green chrome rims and i cant figure out how to stop them from squeaking. Im not sure if i should replace the pads ...more

6 year old thread? If you read the thread you'd have your answers. Rough the pads up with a file or rough sandpaper, toe the brakes outward (so the back of the pad touches before the front of the pad). Make sure all the brake hardware is greased and tight.

|

6/12/2016 9:28 AM

k_1bikelyf wrote:

I have green chrome rims and i cant figure out how to stop them from squeaking. Im not sure if i should replace the pads ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

6 year old thread? If you read the thread you'd have your answers. Rough the pads up with a file or rough sandpaper, toe the ...more

Thanks will try

|

7/2/2017 2:42 PM

I came from mountainbiking and sqeaky pads where down to a few things. The pad hasnt softned up yet because its new, hard compound pad, cpntamination or its freezong cold, it also happens when there wet. But assuming there new its probs because they havmt bedded in nicely and also may have cpntamination from factory like mouldong agents e.t.c

|

7/2/2017 6:34 PM

BMX LIFE wrote:

My brakes make a really high pitched squeak every time i brake. I dont really care if they squeak a bit, but at the moment it ...more

Search the forum for my posts. I wrote a long post about fixing it or making them quieter.

|