How to tailwhip help

Related:
Create New Tag

2/6/2018 10:00 AM

Every time I try tailwhips, I can get the bike around but it always fly's forward and out from under me. Any tips?

|

2/6/2018 10:34 AM

Have you tried it laying on your back? From what I've watched it's an easy way to get used to using the bars to get the bike around.

I'm learning footjam whips (I used to be able to tailwhip when I was like 10 years old) and using the bars as sort of a lever to direct the rest of the bike works well. I've heard people suggest to try drawing an oval or a "D" with the bars to get the bike around.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/6/2018 11:23 AM

Lock your wrists and don't make too wide an oval with your arms. It doesn't take much to get it around.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/6/2018 11:24 AM

|

2/6/2018 11:26 AM

YES! I was literally going to link that same video lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/6/2018 12:20 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

YES! I was literally going to link that same video lol

Great minds....

|

2/6/2018 12:24 PM

I've been told I'm wrong for this piece of advice, but it is undoubtedly what helped me land whips and learn how to keep the bike under me;

Lean forward over the bars like a nosemanual or even similar to a frontflip.

It's a super uncomfortable feeling especially if you have to bail, but I found that whenever I did that, the frame ended up inbetween my legs every try. Then it was a matter of finding the pedals from there.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/6/2018 3:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2018 3:16 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I've been told I'm wrong for this piece of advice, but it is undoubtedly what helped me land whips and learn how to keep the bike under me;

It's a super uncomfortable feeling especially if you have to bail, but I found that whenever I did that, the frame ended up inbetween my legs every try. Then it was a matter of finding the pedals from there.

I'd agree with that. I wouldn't say quite like a nose-manual but very close.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/6/2018 3:24 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I'd agree with that. I wouldn't say quite like a nose-manual but very close.

Well I can't nose manual so what do I know? Haha.

I just put it that way because before I had done that, I would try to keep the bike under me by muscling it down with my arms, unsuccessfully. (Everyone always told me to keep the bike under me, but never had a good explanation of how.]

It wasn't until I learned to throw my torso over the bars, in that super uncomfortable, might-get-sent-OTB position, that the bike started staying beneath me and literally falling between my legs.

So my advice to someone who needs to keep the bike under them is to position yourself like a nose-manual and make adjustments to your positioning from there, as you get comfortable whipping the frame around in that weird nose-heavy position.

It's all trial and error at the end of the day, so starting out with treating it like a nose manual is a good place to start imo.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/6/2018 4:07 PM

My regular tailwhips are switch sad

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/6/2018 6:43 PM

post a video of your best attempt. it'll be easier to tell what you're doing wrong/need to do, rather than give tips when we know nothing of your whips

|