How to take off press-fit axle hardware?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/20/2014 8:22 PM

I have a BSD Front Street hub and it uses press-fit cones on the hub and I can't seem to find any other way of taking off the cone, besides hammering the whole axle and bearings out and putting them back together, leaving out one of the cones. People have used screwdrivers and stuff but I obviously don't wanna ruin my hub, so I was wondering if there was a better way. I plan on a getting a hub guard asap.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

2/20/2014 8:23 PM

only way I've managed to get them off is by tapping the axle out like you said. I fucking despise press fit hardware so much, luckily for me I have 2 chromoly Daily Grind guards that slide on & off no problem. Fuck aluminum.

|

2/20/2014 8:39 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

only way I've managed to get them off is by tapping the axle out like you said. I fucking despise press fit hardware so much, ...more

I always hate hammering on hub bearings, it makes them weird. And if you hammer them wrong, you wreck your bearings.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

2/20/2014 8:51 PM

can't you just heat them a bit?

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

2/20/2014 8:56 PM

one try kid wrote:

can't you just heat them a bit?

not everyone has access to something that can heat them up

just stick the axle bolt in at least 1/3 of the way & lightly tap it until the axle comes out, the hardware will pop off & you can just tap the axle back in the other way the same way you tapped the axle out, except this time screw the bolt all the way in & it won't tap the other bearing out when tapping it in the whole way.

getting the hardware back on is a challenge though, usually I just tighten the side with the hardware still on it in the outside of the fork dropout, press the other hardware on the axle as much as it'll go by hand, then carefully tighten that side's axle bolt until it's on the whole way

|

2/20/2014 9:27 PM

both my shadow raptor front and my madera rear hubs' cones can be taken off with just a tight grip and a yank with my fingers lol

try to pry them off with a thin piece of plastic maybe? better than using a screwdriver

|

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike
Summer riding

2/20/2014 10:06 PM

Ugh, so much damn work.. This is why companies need to go back to threaded hardware.. I hate how the internal spacer comes out and messes you up when hammering back in the axle, and it makes the other bearing pop out.. Might just go get another freakin Gsport Gland guard....

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

2/20/2014 10:42 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Ugh, so much damn work.. This is why companies need to go back to threaded hardware.. I hate how the internal spacer comes out ...more

Agreed, if a company I actually liked made a threaded hardware female hub again, AND thread on chromoly guards then I'd likely get it even though I just recently got my BSD. I considered the Cult front with S&M guards, but I'm not trying to spend $80 on hub guards, $40ish with discounts. Plus I don't want to have to have trouble getting my front wheel in the fork since there's 2 guards & it MIGHT cause uneven pressure on the bearings. I just want threaded chromoly guards on a female front hub, with threaded hardware in case the hub gets sluggish & needs loosened, or needs tightened. BMX companies lurking vital hear my plea haha.

But internal spacer coming out? That shouldn't be a problem with the BSD hub, it doesn't have one, it's built into the center itself.

|

2/20/2014 10:53 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Agreed, if a company I actually liked made a threaded hardware female hub again, AND thread on chromoly guards then I'd likely ...more

I'm too scared to mess with it. The Kink Viridian hub was the WORST POS like literally EVER. I rode a Walmart hub for over a month and I was so amazed at how much smoother and everything was! If you ever take apart your BSD Front Street, get some pictures to show me.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

2/20/2014 11:04 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I'm too scared to mess with it. The Kink Viridian hub was the WORST POS like literally EVER. I rode a Walmart hub for over a ...more

It's been apart several times, NOTHING like the Kink hub as I've had both & had both apart

the BSD uses a regular chromoly center axle with shoulders in the middle that rest against the bearings acting as the internal spacer, the Kink uses a floating axle design which is supposed to be able to be pulled right out of the hub altogether, with the internal spacer being a whole different part & not connected to the center axle (meaning you pull the axle out & none of the bearings go with it)

The BSD also uses 2 removable press fit cones, the Kink used 1 removable & 1 fixed onto the axle (not removable)

It's a Profile, but the diagram is the same for what the BSD is
[LINK TO IMAGE]

D is the center axle, no internal spacer. to get that out, you gotta tap it through & take a bearing out with it

Now onto the Kink, you'll notice the internal spacer still in the hub, but the center axle is out (the black one) which is a different system than the BSD uses, you don't need to take the bearing out to get the axles out. Both have their advantages & disadvantages depending how you look at things.
Photo

|

2/20/2014 11:23 PM

For my Kink Viridian 2 hub, I hammered out the axle and the bearing always came out with it. And I accidentally hammered the internal spacer back onto the axle the wrong direction or something cause I could never get it off again and that meant that the bearing had to always come out if I ever tapped out the axle. Needless to say, that hub is strictly for dirt riders or super flowly pegless park riders. Once pegs come into use or a lot of tightening to the hub, the bearings are pretty much done for. I ran 2 pegs to 4 pegs on this and I had to get new bearings every 2-4 months, and it'd go weird after the first month and completely almost blown out by the third month with some or a lot of noise.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

2/20/2014 11:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/20/2014 11:30 PM

the way the internal spacer goes in doesn't matter, your bearings probably only came out with it because of the shitty aluminum deforming ever-so-slightly and catching it on the way out.

but yeah when I called up Kink to see if they could do anything for me when mine started going bad, they said it's a dirt only hub for flowy riders like KC Badger. Didn't want to be a dick and be like "Soo.. then why do they make a hub guard for grinding, when you don't grind on dirt?" haha.

I found a trick was to have your peg on the side of the hub with the fixed hardware, you could tighten that side more & it wouldn't crush your bearing like the other side would.. still, after barely a week of riding it a good spin made the wheel sound like an unsealed wheel on its last leg of life

|