How will a trails specific frame ride?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/24/2021 4:11 PM

Hello, I am looking to swap my frame on my bike. I have fell in love with trails riding and I would like to setup my bike to be better for trails, but I still have a skatepark I ride somewhat regularly. (I still go pretty fast) I have been looking at the ccr, black magic, credence mod, atf, standard trailboss, and the fit heartbreaker. I am not sure how a frame like the ccr or black magic will handle if I’m flicking it around at the skatepark, but i would definitely prefer stability for trails. So if you ride a long trails frame I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me about it, or if I should go to a more street frame like the ATF.

And note that I am a downhill mtb rider so I do ride a huge bike regularly.

|

11/24/2021 5:07 PM

Like a russet potato

|

11/24/2021 5:17 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Like a russet potato

Yes, It’s a pretty trash username.

|

11/24/2021 6:09 PM

I have a very trailsy frame for sale for cheap if you’d like to try something without breaking the bank! It’s the MacNeil BiBi on www.capitalbmxbrand.com/timspreownedbmx

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/24/2021 6:45 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Like a russet potato

Bikes&Russets wrote:

Yes, It’s a pretty trash username.

Russet potato’s are great , love making fries and chips with them

|

11/24/2021 6:46 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I have a very trailsy frame for sale for cheap if you’d like to try something without breaking the bank! It’s the MacNeil BiBi ...more

A buddy of mine has been wanting to sell me his bibi complete for years , a 73 ht angle , wild I might pull the trigger on it soon it is loaded with profile titanium stuff

|

11/24/2021 7:29 PM

Cool frame, but I’m looking to buy new.

|

11/24/2021 7:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2021 7:43 PM

Honestly, you get used to it. Unless you're doing double whips, 720s, and 540 hops regularly you won't even notice your frame feeling longer after a few weeks. Low bottom brackets, longer CS length, and mellower headtubes were the norm 20 years ago so for some of us older guys, today's "trails frames" are just regular frames with average midschool geometry. Even if you didn't ride trails, that was the geo you were stuck with. I don't really know any different since I've stuck to riding frames that have that geometry forever. It's give and take. Spinning tricks, whips, and super tech lip tricks will obviously require more effort, but your ability to pump a transition harder and keep your speed is a lot easier with a longer chainstay.

With an ATF or Credence MOD you'll still have some room to move the rear wheel back if you need more stability at the trails. All of the other frames you cited are 13.75+ at the chainstay so you're stuck with a pretty long wheelbase. There are a few other offerings out there that might be up your alley. United makes a few trail oriented frames, WTP Patrol, BSD Sureshot, Colony Blaster, Cult Walsh, Hoffman Wade, Verde Fides, Kink Backwoods, GT Fueler......probably a few more out there. But I noticed your list was made of US made frames which is awesome but just know there are other options out there if you're having a problem sourcing something made here.

Might wanna consider a custom from Work, Laird, Dutch, or Pedal Driven if you really want something specific to your taste as well as US made.

|

11/24/2021 10:34 PM

It depends how much it differs from what you already have. The atf is a perfect all rounder imo, with the mod being slightly more trails focused. The CCR isn't too out there either. Iirc the heartbreaker has a really low BB, which would make it stable af while going fast, but quite sluggish for any kind of street. If you've got a responsive frame now, a few small changes could make a world of difference

|

11/25/2021 12:19 PM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Honestly, you get used to it. Unless you're doing double whips, 720s, and 540 hops regularly you won't even notice your frame ...more

Good to know.

|

11/25/2021 12:23 PM

.pegless. wrote:

It depends how much it differs from what you already have. The atf is a perfect all rounder imo, with the mod being slightly ...more

I like the CCRs geo but it only has 3/8 dropouts, I ride profile hubs so it won’t be hard to convert. But do you think that will be an issue? and I currently have a crappy stock fit street frame that I hate, it’s super short and it kills me at trails when I am hitting fast stuff.

|

11/25/2021 12:51 PM

.pegless. wrote:

It depends how much it differs from what you already have. The atf is a perfect all rounder imo, with the mod being slightly ...more

Bikes&Russets wrote:

I like the CCRs geo but it only has 3/8 dropouts, I ride profile hubs so it won’t be hard to convert. But do you think that ...more

3/8ths is fine if you're not using pegs. I've had a few pairs of profile hubs with 3/8ths with no issues. I'd recommend the hex head bolts over the volcano washers though

|

11/25/2021 2:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/25/2021 2:20 PM

Bikes&Russets wrote:

I like the CCRs geo but it only has 3/8 dropouts, I ride profile hubs so it won’t be hard to convert. But do you think that ...more

I run 3/8s female hubs front and rear with pegs. I'm pretty much just doing peg chings and stalls at skateparks though so I'm not grinding rough, shitty ledges or taking big drops onto rails. Just depends on your riding style.

|

11/27/2021 10:39 AM

You’ll be fine. My main bike is built off what’s basically a flatland frame with a 19.69” toptube and 13” rear. Even though I seldom run my other 20.5” toptube, 13.8” rear DK frame, it only takes a couple runs to adapt to the change in geometry.

I believe it all comes down to muscle memory. If I’m riding my tiny frame, I know how to position my body to find balance points. Then when I swap over to the longer frame, I’ll have the mindset of riding a longer frame, and ride accordingly.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

11/30/2021 5:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2021 5:20 PM

slightly mellower head tube angle and a longer cs length help. maybe go up 1/4 on your top tube. those changes should leave your bike still comfortable enough to ride street and skatepark with!

steep headtubes feel sketchy. i have a 75.5 on my street bike and it just feels too twitchy to comfortably ride trails on, my main bike has a 74.5ht and my trails bike is a macniel bibi with a 73.5 ht

|

wallride a bus everyday

12/2/2021 4:22 AM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Honestly, you get used to it. Unless you're doing double whips, 720s, and 540 hops regularly you won't even notice your frame ...more

STandard also does custom work, you would need to contact them for pricing.

Laird's stuff (chromoly) is basically on par with cookie cutter overseas stuff these days. I could see him getting really busy soon enough.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura