Hub Guards

Related:
Create New Tag

1/4/2014 3:44 AM

Are Hub guards extremely important when using pegs or is it okay to not bother with them? Because I have a mate to has been running pegs without hub guards for years and hasn't done any damage

|

1/4/2014 3:55 AM

its like a condom. Its a good idea.

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

1/4/2014 5:11 AM

Modern frame geometry means that instead of a peg bolting to the sides of a drop out, with the drop outs providing a flange like barrier preventing a slide into your hubs, we have very streamlined lower profile drop outs. Busting off those pegs is a lot easier than it used to be.

|

1/4/2014 6:11 AM

It's not extremely important because...you know...you're going to ride exactly like your mate does...all the time, every time.

|

1/4/2014 7:47 AM

It all depends. I rode without guards for the longest time and never had problems but when i got my new hub i bought the guards to go with it . In the back i still dont run a guard but will when I buy my friends(tim) hub.

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

1/4/2014 7:52 AM

Chromoly or plastic hubguards are a great investment because you just slide way better on everything and you don't have to worry about breaking spokes and shit as well.

|

1/4/2014 8:05 AM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

It all depends. I rode without guards for the longest time and never had problems but when i got my new hub i bought the guards to go with it . In the back i still dont run a guard but will when I buy my friends(tim) hub.

Ye :D

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/4/2014 9:08 AM

i reccomend (for non drive side rear) the daily grind lt guard
20 bucks, bulletproof 4140 chromo, and it doesnt stretch your frame
i have one and love it
as for drive side, do your self a favor and get the daily grind drive side, as the primo dsg stretches frames and slips a fair bit

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

1/4/2014 9:12 AM

Hub Guards are awesome. Especially the S&M cymbal guards. Not only do they protect your hubs, they also make grinding easier as the shape of the guards themselves helps lock you in to your grinds. Also they are made from chromoly so they slide great and will last forever.

The rear hub guard is the most important one for most riders as that is where the majority of your weight is on the bike, so if you can only afford one, grab a rear guard first. If you're grinding on your drive side, you would be crazy not to buy a rear hub guard.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

1/4/2014 3:33 PM

hub guards basically protect ur spokes and hug when u grind, thats what ive been told although ur not gonna hit ur spokes all the time its still safer to have on protecting it incase u fuck up

|

1/4/2014 8:18 PM

Not a huge deal. My buddy has never ridden hub guards and has never even touched his spokes or hubs grinding.
I, on the other hand, HAVE to ride with hub guards, otherwise i smash my hub and snap spokes like nothing else. I still snap spokes with hub guards lol.
I know hub guards aren't spoke guards but still lol.
Basically, try riding without them. But regularly check your spokes and hub for damage. If there is damage, run some hub guards.
Also if you have expensive or high end hubs, definitely run them just for insurance. If they're shit and you might replace them soon, don't worry bout it.

|

Insta: @devicacy

1/5/2014 4:52 AM

I will be running them on the drive side and yeah I do ride like my friend. It seems like a really good idea but im not to sure what im buying exactly. Are hub guards universal? except of course for front and back but it seems you need to buy specific guards for specific hubs.

|

1/5/2014 6:19 AM

Jameso wrote:

I will be running them on the drive side and yeah I do ride like my friend. It seems like a really good idea but im not to sure what im buying exactly. Are hub guards universal? except of course for front and back but it seems you need to buy specific guards for specific hubs.

some hub guars can fit lots of hub, but its better to buy specific hub guards.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

1/5/2014 6:30 AM

I used to not have them, and I occasionally bent or trashed spokes.

I have them and now I don't have an issue like that.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/5/2014 3:36 PM

Jameso wrote:

Well, im running a drive side hub guard on my non drive side, and It seems i have to buy a specific Colony front guard as the others I tried did not fit my hub / axle set up.

|

1/5/2014 4:02 PM

Depends if you're sloppy at grinding.

|

1/11/2014 2:13 PM

Jameso wrote:

Underground wrote:

Well, im running a drive side hub guard on my non drive side, and It seems i have to buy a specific Colony front guard as the others I tried did not fit my hub / axle set up.

The S&M front cymbal guard is a great universal hub guard. You can also check out a GSPORT gland if you are on a tight budget!

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

1/11/2014 2:19 PM

Jameso wrote:

Underground wrote:

transition_chris wrote:

The S&M front cymbal guard is a great universal hub guard. You can also check out a GSPORT gland if you are on a tight budget!

Thanks man!
Good info (we seem to have limited info in stores over here)

|

6/21/2018 7:59 AM

Sorry to do this on an old topic, but I can't post anywhere else for some reason:

I recently started grinding and quickly realized I need hub guards. I purchased 4, 2 front a back and a drive side back. I was able to install the front ones no problem, but the back were giving me a hell of a time. I was able to get them to fit, however, the chain was "grinding" and slipping. It was making a sort of clicking sound (not the cassette sound, like it was having trouble sound). I removed the drive side hub guard and it seems to have solved the issue. I don't grind on the drive side, I just wanted to be protected there in case I try and royally screw it up.

What could be causing the issue with the drive side hub guard. Is it throwing the chain out of alignment? What can I do to remedy this problem? I'd like to fix it myself, with your help on here. But I'll take it to a bike shop if I need to.

Thanks!

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

6/21/2018 8:48 AM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Sorry to do this on an old topic, but I can't post anywhere else for some reason:

I recently started grinding and quickly realized I need hub guards. I purchased 4, 2 front a back and a drive side back. I was able to install the front ones no problem, but the back were giving me a hell of a time. I was able to get them to fit, however, the chain was "grinding" and slipping. It was making a sort of clicking sound (not the cassette sound, like it was having trouble sound). I removed the drive side hub guard and it seems to have solved the issue. I don't grind on the drive side, I just wanted to be protected there in case I try and royally screw it up.

What could be causing the issue with the drive side hub guard. Is it throwing the chain out of alignment? What can I do to remedy this problem? I'd like to fix it myself, with your help on here. But I'll take it to a bike shop if I need to.

Thanks!

Most bike shops won't have a clue. They very rarely employ bmxers, or even care about bmx. If your local shop does care about bmx, make sure to support them as much as you can.

My experience with hubguards is limited, but there's a few things to look for, like did the chain touch the hubguard? Did you have to remove a cone to fit it? What hub is it, and what guard? Not all are universal, apart from the ones that go outside the dropout

|

6/21/2018 9:14 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Most bike shops won't have a clue. They very rarely employ bmxers, or even care about bmx. If your local shop does care about bmx, make sure to support them as much as you can.

My experience with hubguards is limited, but there's a few things to look for, like did the chain touch the hubguard? Did you have to remove a cone to fit it? What hub is it, and what guard? Not all are universal, apart from the ones that go outside the dropout

I'm lucky, my local shop has a couple dedicated BMX mechanics.
Chain isn't rubbing on guard, I placed it between the hub and the drop out.
Mission Hub, Daily Grind Guard.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

6/21/2018 12:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/21/2018 12:14 PM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Thanks!

Is your hub a Mission React?

I run this hub, and to fit my S&M guard, I need a thin washer between the cone nut and guard or else it acts up and becomes noisy for whatever reason that I could never come to figure out. Maybe it's the same way for the drive side, not too sure.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/21/2018 12:37 PM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Thanks!

In the future, I recommend not messing with anything else but universal guards. Would you be ok with having a set of legs that only were compatible eith a single wheelset?

This is my thought process for stuff like this. I like compatibility, standardization, etc.

Its nice knowing most, if not all, parts will transfer over to a completely different bike when it comes down to it. wink

|

6/21/2018 12:53 PM

Jameso wrote:

Are Hub guards extremely important when using pegs or is it okay to not bother with them? Because I have a mate to has been running pegs without hub guards for years and hasn't done any damage

This is how you can tell for free, ok maybe cost you $2-4.00.

Cut the bottom of a Coke can off. Use a screwdriver to poke 4 holes top, bottom and each side in it. Take the wheel off and slide it on. Use zip ties in the 4 holes and zip it to your spokes. Put your wheel back on and go ride. If in a day or 2 the can is destroyed...probably a good idea. If not then you can always paint the can and just redo it when needed. I don’t use them due to this method. I land most of my grinds perfectly on my pegs. And if you look at my pegs the first say 3-4mm looks almost brand new and the rest is destroyed. So I use the can trick instead of paying for a guard. I just paint and clear coat them so they blend. The reason why I use the bottom of the can...it’s dome shaped. Makes it easier to get on the hub with no problem. You can even trim it down to what you want.

I remember back in the day a pro was using a cymbal as a guard.

|

6/21/2018 12:57 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

In the future, I recommend not messing with anything else but universal guards. Would you be ok with having a set of legs that only were compatible eith a single wheelset?

This is my thought process for stuff like this. I like compatibility, standardization, etc.

Its nice knowing most, if not all, parts will transfer over to a completely different bike when it comes down to it. wink

I thought I did buy universal ones. They said universal on the website.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

6/21/2018 4:13 PM

It really does sound like its rubbing somewhere. It's happened to me before. The chain might be running across the top or bottom lip right where the chain enters the guard.

Also, aint nothing wrong with 3 pegs. Thats how I rode before I went pegless.

|

6/25/2018 2:48 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

It really does sound like its rubbing somewhere. It's happened to me before. The chain might be running across the top or bottom lip right where the chain enters the guard.

My chain rubs my uniguards if I ride hard for a day and my chain gets a bit slack.

|

6/25/2018 2:54 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

My chain rubs my uniguards if I ride hard for a day and my chain gets a bit slack.

Is it on the outside of your dropout?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx