Hub, fork, peg fit question

Related:
Create New Tag

2/26/2010 8:55 AM

Ok,

so I am looking at starting to buy the pieces to build a custom front wheel. Really, just trying to get some ideas since I am looking to end up with a blue hub and black rim combo. In any case, lets say for example I am looking at a female style hub. I mean one that uses bolts into the hub vs nuts that go on an axle if you will. My fork has 14mm drop outs. Do they make the adapters to go from 3/8ths to 14mm for axle bolts just as they do for standard axles? I could then just use a 3/8ths peg when going that route correct? (pretty sure of the last part but not sure if the adapters are available.

|

Proverbs 3:5-6

2/26/2010 8:58 AM

im not sure what you are asking. but if you buy a 3/8ths back hub, there are adapters.

most female back hubs are actually 14mm. some might use 3/8ths pegs though.

|

Vital's Official New Mod!

FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

2/26/2010 9:05 AM

This would be for the front. Ok, I will make and example:

Shadow Rapter hub: Female style 3/8ths
Hoffman Fat Free fork: 14mm

Trying to see if they make a 3/8ths to 14mm adapter that will allow you to run this hub on a 14mm fork.

As for pegs, current pegs are j-pegs (14mm) so I can easily swap them out for something that has a 3/8ths (lil ones)

Once again, this is for the front. Rear is simple since most are 14mm as you stated.

|

2/26/2010 9:07 AM

Drnwagn wrote:

Trying to see if they make a 3/8ths to 14mm adapter that will allow you to run this hub on a 14mm fork.

As for pegs, current pegs are j-pegs (14mm) so I can easily swap them out for something that has a 3/8ths (lil ones)

Once again, this is for the front. Rear is simple since most are 14mm as you stated.

i think profile makes an adapter for 3/8ths female axles

|

refs: justridebmx, four, kingpin, Alex_DeWitt, Michael_Howard, bmxrider000, TokenBMX(x2)
member of the week 2/22/10 - 2/28/10

2/26/2010 9:39 AM

Drnwagn wrote:

yes they sell adapters.

http://www.albes.com/albesaxleadaptors38to14mm.aspx

and if you have a regular axle, you can just buy bolts that have adapters on them.

http://www.albes.com/easternaxlesnutswlip38to14mm.aspx

http://www.albes.com/primosandysnutsaxleadapters.aspx

|

FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

2/26/2010 9:43 AM

Thanks Abod. I knew about the bolts with adapters on them but hadn't really seen anything for the female style set up. Good to know.

Still not sure what hub I am going to go with or whether or not I will just stick with an all black front wheel. The current bike set up looks fine with all black. I would definitely be cheaper to buy a stock front wheel and save the money to put towards a custom rear. Who knows, I am just hiding money from the wife right now for this anyway. Got pleanty of time to figure it out.

|

2/26/2010 9:52 AM

Drnwagn wrote:

Thanks Abod. I knew about the bolts with adapters on them but hadn't really seen anything for the female style set up. Good to know.

Still not sure what hub I am going to go with or whether or not I will just stick with an all black front wheel. The current bike set up looks fine with all black. I would definitely be cheaper to buy a stock front wheel and save the money to put towards a custom rear. Who knows, I am just hiding money from the wife right now for this anyway. Got pleanty of time to figure it out.

i know a pretty good front wheel for just under 100 if you are interested in my telling you.

|

FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

2/26/2010 9:55 AM

Drnwagn wrote:

abod wrote:

i know a pretty good front wheel for just under 100 if you are interested in my telling you.

what wheel

|

refs: justridebmx, four, kingpin, Alex_DeWitt, Michael_Howard, bmxrider000, TokenBMX(x2)

2/26/2010 9:57 AM

Drnwagn wrote:

abod wrote:

alexnjbmx wrote:

what wheel

demo bulimia.
double butted spokes.
alloy nipples.
alienation deviant.

under 100 if you get a code from dans. its what i have on my sunday and its pretty sweet.

|

FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

2/26/2010 9:59 AM

That's pretty much a custom set up right?

|

2/26/2010 10:01 AM

Drnwagn wrote:

That's pretty much a custom set up right?

yup

|

2/26/2010 10:03 AM

Yeh, I figure I can get a good front wheel for somewhere right around 1-120 but the rear is going to cost me a bit more for sure! But I will ride the stupid dbl shot until it breaks while I save but the front Poverty wheel just scares me at this point.

Unfortunately, I had been out of the game for a while and was just trying to get something together so I could ride. Never heard too much about them so I figured why not. So far, I can't complain but I don't really want to find out either!

|

2/26/2010 10:46 AM

Holy crap Abod, that wheel has to be super frickn light! The rim is like 10 oz!!! The hub is only about 7.6 oz I think! Right now it looks like Dan's doesn't have black in stock and I refuse to put a blue or silver rim on the front of my bike.

|

2/26/2010 11:11 AM

Abod, what is your rear wheel set up? eventually, I would want something that is fairly light but strong as I weigh about 190 lbs. Just trying to get some ideas. I like the front wheel described above so just wanna see what you come up with for a rear. Figure around $300 or so for a rear when the time comes. Lemme know.

|

2/26/2010 11:18 AM

Drnwagn wrote:

Abod, what is your rear wheel set up? eventually, I would want something that is fairly light but strong as I weigh about 190 lbs. Just trying to get some ideas. I like the front wheel described above so just wanna see what you come up with for a rear. Figure around $300 or so for a rear when the time comes. Lemme know.

on his one bike he has a profile with ti everything laced to a primo 7005.
on his other bike, he has a khe geisha light laced to a deviant i think.

|

2/26/2010 11:26 AM

Man, I gotta come with some duckets to build a wheel like the one with the Profile! Good Lord! I don't think I would want ti spokes at all though. Strength to weight just isn't worth it to me.

|

2/26/2010 11:30 AM

Drnwagn wrote:

Man, I gotta come with some duckets to build a wheel like the one with the Profile! Good Lord! I don't think I would want ti spokes at all though. Strength to weight just isn't worth it to me.

yeah. he hates his ti spokes.

|

2/26/2010 11:35 AM

yeah. if i were to build a SOLID wheel. profile with a ti driver (maybe hollow ti axle if you are pretty smooth and have the money). double butted spokes. alloy nipples. odyssey 7ka rim. i bend my wheel ALLL the time.

|

FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

2/26/2010 11:36 AM

abod wrote:

yeah. if i were to build a SOLID wheel. profile with a ti driver (maybe hollow ti axle if you are pretty smooth and have the money). double butted spokes. alloy nipples. odyssey 7ka rim. i bend my wheel ALLL the time.

or a primo 7005.

|

2/26/2010 11:37 AM

profile adaptors strip out or fuck up

my bud that has a cameron wood frame and a a 14mm hub.
use them and they fucked up his profile

|

i love fat chicks <3

2/26/2010 11:42 AM

abod wrote:

alexnjbmx wrote:

or a primo 7005.

do you think if i had double butted spokes instead of ti, my primo rim wouldnt bend so much? cause im not even hard on my wheels and my back one bends all the time.

|

FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

2/26/2010 11:44 AM

Devyn, are you saying that the adapter itself strips out? How did is fuck up his hub? Did it screw up any of the threads or what?

I'm not really looking at a Profile for the front mind you but if I ended up with a female style hub, I would need to run an adapter to covert it from 3/8ths to 14mm. More than likely I will just go with a standard style axle set up and just run the traditional adapters if you will.

|

2/26/2010 11:44 AM

abod wrote:

alexnjbmx wrote:

or a primo 7005.

abod wrote:

do you think if i had double butted spokes instead of ti, my primo rim wouldnt bend so much? cause im not even hard on my wheels and my back one bends all the time.

maybe. i have a 7005, and it never bends.
but i think you should get regular spokes instead of ti ones anyway

|

2/26/2010 11:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2010 11:47 AM

go here for a front wheel.... alienation deviant laced to shadow raptor front for $80...

oops... forgot link...
http://www.kovachiwheels.com/custom-wheelsets/bmx/freestyle/freestyle-park-dirt-custom-front-wheel

|

R.I.P. COMPTON
E-mail:chrisschmall@yahoo.com
Refs:chadr, spikez5, umpgotti, brenden1207

First MOTM 12/2010

2/26/2010 11:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2010 11:48 AM

cschmall wrote:

go here for a front wheel.... alienation deviant laced to shadow raptor front for $80...

oops... forgot link...
http://www.kovachiwheels.com/custom-wheelsets/bmx/freestyle/freestyle-park-dirt-custom-front-wheel

why is the hub free?

|

2/26/2010 11:48 AM

Where? There is no link!

|

2/26/2010 11:48 AM

Damn, you beat me!

|

2/26/2010 11:51 AM

cschmall wrote:

oops... forgot link...

alexnjbmx wrote:

why is the hub free?

I don't know a guy posted the place in another thread and I checked the place out and found that...

|

R.I.P. COMPTON
E-mail:chrisschmall@yahoo.com
Refs:chadr, spikez5, umpgotti, brenden1207

First MOTM 12/2010

2/26/2010 11:52 AM

cschmall wrote:

oops... forgot link...

alexnjbmx wrote:

why is the hub free?

cschmall wrote:

I don't know a guy posted the place in another thread and I checked the place out and found that...

hmm. seems sketchy

|

2/26/2010 11:53 AM

alienation in general seems sketchy

|