Hub guards

Related:
Create New Tag

7/27/2015 12:39 PM

Will my hub demage if i grind and dont use hub guards? my hubs are salt pro if dat means anything...

|

7/27/2015 1:03 PM

Yes, that's why you see people who grind without them have varying levels of damage, from some minor scratches to a crapload ton of spokes missing, and/or the hub shell deformed. Unless you're REALLY on budget, if you plan to run pegs seriously, investing in hubguards should be a priority. Nobody is God, so riding a bike can never be 100%, and one slip up could destroy your entire wheel.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

7/27/2015 1:15 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Yes, that's why you see people who grind without them have varying levels of damage, from some minor scratches to a crapload ...more

This

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

7/27/2015 3:39 PM

I recommend getting hub specific guards as long as they aren't fully aluminum thread on one's because hub specific guards won't make your wheel wider and harder to fit into your frame . My favorite are the primo remix and Freemix guards, as they have a cone nut and a plastic sleeve that goes over it so your frame won't have to stretch to fit your wheel.

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

7/27/2015 7:38 PM

Hub guards drastically increase the life of your hub. Grinding without one can damage bearings since every time you hit the hub instead of the guard or your peg, you're smashing the hub where the bearing sits. It also can crack your flanges if they're a high flanged hub. It will also eventually deform the hub shell and cone nut to the point where they grind against each other and cause drag in the hub. There's a few more things but those are the major ones that come to mind.

Grinding with one eliminates all of those problems and also makes your grinds feel 10x smoother, especially if they're chromoly. I'd stay away from any kind of press on or thread on aluminum guard because they can easily seize onto your axle and be a pain in the ass to take off. Ones that slide on usually come with a steel insert though, if not, they don't typically deform as bad so you can still slide them on and off easier.

In my opinion, chromoly guards are the way to go. I've ridden aluminum, pc, and chromoly... And chromoly just slides and feels much better, not to mention lasts forever. I've had my rear one for 3 years now and I grind A LOT, but it looks like it could last several years yet.

|