Hub noise? Try This!

Related:
Create New Tag

7/26/2013 4:49 AM

This is taken DIRECTLY from the Ezra Facebook page, BUT it has great information for diagnosing and possibly fixing hub noise issues, and it does not just apply to Ezra/Eastern/Amber stuff. This can be used across the board. I figured posting this here will help a lot of you guys with your wheel noise, and maybe limit the number of "Hub noise question" threads before they are made. TRY THIS IF YOU HAVE ANY NOISES BEFORE RESORTING TO ASKING ON THE FORUMS, YOU WILL BE SURPRISED HOW MANY ISSUES GO AWAY WITH A GOOD CLEANING AND FRESH GREASE.

That being said, here we go.

Here is a Quick Maintenance Tip from the Customer Care.

This is for the EZRA, Amber, or Eastern Hubs. Sometimes after months of use these hubs will start making a loud noise or may stop making noise all together. Sometimes they act like they do not want to engage when pedaling. If you experience any of these problems it is important to fix the problem ASAP before any of the hub's internals are destroyed.

Step 1 - Get to a place with all the proper tools to do the job. You will need a Socket Wrench to remove the Rear Wheel, with wrenches to remove your cone nuts. Also will need a rag and some grease.

Step 2 - Remove the Rear Wheel, clean the Driver area.

Step 3 - Remove the cone nuts and slide the driver assembly out of the hub. Clean all of these pieces as you remove them.

Step 4 - Clean the internal's of the hub. Be sure to inspect the area where the paws engage into the hub. Make sure everything is clean of grime/dirt and old grease.

Step 5 - Add a little amount of grease into the engagement ring inside the hub. This will add life to your paws and make the metal to metal contact smoother in your hub.

Step 6 - Inspect the driver to be sure everything is working properly for engagement. Be sure there is no grime/dirt or old grease on this driver.

Step 7 - Add a little amount of grease on the inside of the driver, this is for your bearing races/bushing on your driver. The grease will help with these moving parts on long rides to keep everything running smoothly.

Step 8 - Install the driver, make sure it has set all the way into the hub.

Step 9 - Install the cone nuts and side the wheel back into the bike.

Step 10 - Install your axle nuts and tighten your rear wheel to where your chain is snug. Do not over tighten your chain, it will cause heavy pressure on your driver bearings.

Doing this to your hub is a common solution to funny noises coming from your rear hub area.

This likely would have a better home in the "HOW TO" section, but I wanted everyone to see it first, and I know a lot of you never pop into the how to area.

I think I may just start posting little tidbits like this for other diagnosis issues. What do you guys think?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/26/2013 6:38 AM

Good stuff right there

Sadly I did all of that to my primo remix and it actually started making more noise, maybe it's the 3 and one oil I used

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

7/26/2013 9:38 AM

i saw that on the fb page

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/26/2013 10:38 AM

Lol. I do this every time I clean my hub, which is pretty often since I ride dirt. It's just common sense kids.

|

7/26/2013 7:06 PM

OneEyeIlluminatiGuy wrote:

Good stuff right there

Sadly I did all of that to my primo remix and it actually started making more noise, maybe it's the 3 ...more

Only 3 in one will just make it spin forever but slip a lot easier. Take a plastic zip lock bag and take a spoonful of petroleum jelly, but it in the bottom of the corner and squirt a little 3 in 1 and seal the bag and suck the air out, then mush it around til it mixes a bit. Then poke a hole in the very corner. Kinda like an icing thing if you ever iced a cake to draw on it. Then twist it up and squirt it on the appropriate areas of the hub. Not too much, just a bit. It really works good for bushings. And for JCPCS or any bushing that is gonna take a beating, put a bit of black grease in it.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/28/2013 2:05 PM

I use "Wet" Chain lube from Finish Line, OR Ceramic Chain lube.

Both work great.

I used to mix the chain lube and a little grease.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura