Hubs and Brakes help!

Related:
Create New Tag

9/22/2013 10:40 AM

I was thinking about Double Springing my Primo remix cause some people said it will make it feel a little better. and also my brakes, i set them up and used 3 different brake pads and they grips for a few hours then they just stop working.. help?! (pads are black and clear odyssey ghost pads and black odyssey ghost pads and odyssey evo 2 with a fly pirimade 21 rim)

|

BIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKES

9/22/2013 10:48 AM

dont double spring... and dont use ghost pads if you want good stopping power. use a normal size cler pad... like the eclat one. toe it in and enjoy

|

9/22/2013 11:10 AM

greenbastard wrote:

dont double spring... and dont use ghost pads if you want good stopping power. use a normal size cler pad... like the eclat one. toe it in and enjoy

i am using odyssey slim by four pads so those are regular sized and still no stopping power.
and i need new paws cause hub matinance so i think i am just gonna double spring

|

9/22/2013 11:12 AM

Clean your rim

|

fack off

9/22/2013 11:27 AM

Clean the rim, clean the pads, toe them in. My clear Odysseys are 2 years old and still lock like no other ona Diatech brake on an ano rim.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/22/2013 11:37 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Clean the rim, clean the pads, toe them in. My clear Odysseys are 2 years old and still lock like no other ona Diatech brake on an ano rim.

rims clean, even put coke one it and let it dry for extra stick (tried with coke and without not much diffrence) the pads are clean and sand papered a little bit AND toed in perfect.

|

9/22/2013 12:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2013 12:47 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

tannerbaker wrote:

rims clean, even put coke one it and let it dry for extra stick (tried with coke and without not much diffrence) the pads are clean and sand papered a little bit AND toed in perfect.

Well that's odd. Mine never crap out like that.

Do you ride em constantly, as in they are almost always on? My guess is your pads get super hot and kinda glaze over, rendering the braking power terrible.

IF that is the case, best thing to do is use the brakes a little less often, like if you do nothing but fufanus and brake checks, try doing other things, to let them cool a bit.

Otherwise a different rim might be in order down the line.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/22/2013 1:14 PM

What is "toeing" the brakes and how do I do so? Just curious. Mine don't lock up how I like em to, probably don't set em up right.

And I just moved to a town with all gravel roads.. thinking about going brakeless, they stop working after a while due to getting caked in powdery goodness. It blows.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/22/2013 2:19 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

What is "toeing" the brakes and how do I do so? Just curious. Mine don't lock up how I like em to, probably don't set em up right.

And I just moved to a town with all gravel roads.. thinking about going brakeless, they stop working after a while due to getting caked in powdery goodness. It blows.

toeing the pads in helps to stop better meaning the rear of the pad barley touches before the front.

|

9/22/2013 2:19 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

tannerbaker wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Well that's odd. Mine never crap out like that.

Do you ride em constantly, as in they are almost always on? My guess is your pads get super hot and kinda glaze over, rendering the braking power terrible.

IF that is the case, best thing to do is use the brakes a little less often, like if you do nothing but fufanus and brake checks, try doing other things, to let them cool a bit.

Otherwise a different rim might be in order down the line.

could be. i pull my brakes every time im in the air other than flat hopping. ill try to lay off.

|

9/22/2013 4:55 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

tannerbaker wrote:

toeing the pads in helps to stop better meaning the rear of the pad barley touches before the front.

I do the front before the back, kills some vibration, minimizes squeal.

Seems to be stronger too (from my experience)

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/22/2013 4:59 PM

Do not double spring. Its the bad news.! I helpped a freind do it to his remix and it was really load and descent feeling but after a month he started skipping almost everypedal. Looked inside and shit was bad.

|

9/22/2013 5:31 PM

Boil your brake pads maybe? Sounds like somethig is wrong with your setup.

I would also suggest to stop riding with a finger always on the lever, learn to be comfortable without that. No use in always pulling the brakes.

|

9/22/2013 6:31 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

this.. i actually have this exact setup and it locks the wheel up

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

9/22/2013 7:22 PM

Make sure you wheel is centered and your brake pads hit it at the same time.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

9/23/2013 3:04 PM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

They do.. I know how to setup brakes just can't comprehend why the pads don't grip right

|

9/23/2013 4:17 PM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

tannerbaker wrote:

They do.. I know how to setup brakes just can't comprehend why the pads don't grip right

Might be the finish on the rim?

A buddy ran a fly rear and his brakes were never dialed for long. That is the only thought that comes to mind.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/23/2013 9:22 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

A buddy ran a fly rear and his brakes were never dialed for long. That is the only thought that comes to mind.

Might be I know with my anodized G-Sport my brakes never stay dialed for more than maybe 3 days at best. My girlfriends bike on the other hand has painted rims with the same brake pads, and stock calipers and stops amazing all the time. And you might already know this but when you clean your rim use rubbing alcohol, it cleans better than water and drys in like 2 seconds on its own.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

9/23/2013 10:19 PM

It does wear out the ratchet teeth quicker but not noticeably.

|

9/23/2013 10:21 PM

BRANDON_90 wrote:

Do not double spring. Its the bad news.! I helpped a freind do it to his remix and it was really load and descent feeling but after a month he started skipping almost everypedal. Looked inside and shit was bad.

What'd it look like inside?

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

9/23/2013 10:26 PM

Plus its not going to help the driver engage any better all its going to do it spring back harder. That's all.

|

9/24/2013 12:11 PM

tannerbaker wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

fitbikerider14 wrote:

Might be I know with my anodized G-Sport my brakes never stay dialed for more than maybe 3 days at best. My girlfriends bike on the other hand has painted rims with the same brake pads, and stock calipers and stops amazing all the time. And you might already know this but when you clean your rim use rubbing alcohol, it cleans better than water and drys in like 2 seconds on its own.

Absolutely. I use rubbing alcohol to clean my chrome too tongue

Takes all impurities and oils off the wheels.

I used to use simple green haha

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/24/2013 12:17 PM

BRANDON_90 wrote:

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

What'd it look like inside?

The pawls looked really bad and it have like little shaving and shit inside.

|