Hubs for new bike

Related:
Create New Tag

4/10/2017 12:16 PM

So I mentioned this in a previous topic but I figure I should just make a new thread. Building a new bike and I'm trying to figure out what hubs would be best. I don't really do anything too technical and tbh I still suck but I just like grinding a lot and doing big jumps. Or at least hats what I want to do one day haha. I've been looking at profile minis just bc everyone loves profile but I'm looking at animal javelins and odyssey antigrams too. I'm really open to whatever and the hubs don't even have to match. Just want something really good and won't bust on me when I bust my ass and smash everything. I know it's vague but i want to get something nice and hubs are the only part of bikes that I'm ignorant about

|

4/10/2017 12:24 PM

Don't go for Profile just yet. Although very high quality hubs (Mini, Elite, Z-Coaster), they aren't necessary for beginning. Plus, I think hubs like the Elite aren't optimized for grinds at all, more for racing. Heh, go figure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, I hear good things about the Odyssey and I know a guy who's been running one for a while now and they're holding up well to four-pegged tricks and chinks and all that. Paired with a good rim and I'd say you're set. Keep in mind that a strong rim is equally as important as a strong hub.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/10/2017 1:30 PM

^^ as above really. I'm a fan of minis but I'm. The front hub comes stock with an alloy female axle which isn't ideal for pegs. The animal hubs would stand up to plenty of peg use, so should odyssey. Bsd are good for pegs too.

Elites are horrible. The noise is too much. To the point a friend of mine swapped a brand new pair of elites for some used minis

|

4/10/2017 2:21 PM

Yeah heard the same about the profiles which is why I'm questioning that as well. So pretty much bsd odyssey or animals should be fine? Btw I wanted to pair it with some ribcages

|

4/10/2017 3:43 PM

I really like my Gsport Roloway, they appear to have revamped the Monkey hub. So far it is AWESOME.

For the rear I have a Demolition Rotator and a Demolition Rogue I will lace as soon as I have a rim for it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/10/2017 4:02 PM

Anyone heard anything about the Merritt non stop hubs? Never used anything by them. Looking at the animals and odysseys a lot right now. Trying to find a hub guard for rear drive side that would fit those

|

4/10/2017 4:09 PM

Tree makes nice hubs too

|

4/10/2017 8:36 PM

LikeRats wrote:

Yeah heard the same about the profiles which is why I'm questioning that as well. So pretty much bsd odyssey or animals should ...more

If interested, Im selling red bsd hubs, lsd to gsport birdcages.. all looks mint except the guards which are also in great condition. Decided to sell since Im moving and really haven't felt like not riding a coaster

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

4/10/2017 9:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2017 10:07 PM

I have a fiend process front hub and i really didnt want fiend parts on my bike back then cause i didnt hear good things about them but im really happy that i got it i ride 4 pegs it hold on great spin really great and the hubguards for it are really cheap and suprisingly good. For a rear hub i have a salt plus trapez freecoaster/cassette wich is also really nice in both mod. If i have to choose a new cassette i would go the antigram or shadow probably and if you also looking for freecoasters get the odyssey clutch v2

|

4/10/2017 9:48 PM

Think about a company you would like to support based on their riders, owner, and overall image. You may decide that you want to support a smaller company like Merritt or maybe a company who has helped many riders out with warranty like Odyssey. Animal is a solid rider owned co as well. Can't go wrong with any of those. Oh yeah and gsport make the best front hubs

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

4/10/2017 9:48 PM

Most any hub with a female chromoly axle for the front will do just fine.

For the rear, you can stick with the traditional 14mm male, but if you choose to go female, go with 14mm female and not 3/8" because it's overall the strongest. 14mm male will hold up just fine though.

Personally I ride a Shadow Raptor front/Cult Match v1 rear and the rear has given me no problems in the 4 years I've had it. The front holds up great too, a year old but I did just replace the bearings but I'm also rough on the front when I grind. That should say something cause for awhile I was killing front hubs haha

|

4/10/2017 10:30 PM

Front wheel is a gsport simian to ribcage, but my back wheel is irrelevant to this conversation. I swear by my front wheel. I also have a spare back wheel that I refuse to sell...Antigram to Ribcage with DT swiss spokes. Ive only riden it for a month but its still true and tight. That antigram hub is amazing. Regardless of the spokes though, I highly doubt you can go wrong with the antigram to ribcage rear wheel.

|

4/10/2017 11:38 PM

Metalbmxer wrote:

Think about a company you would like to support based on their riders, owner, and overall image. You may decide that you want ...more

Thats actually a really good point. Guess since im ignorant when it comes to hubs ive just been trying to get best thing out there whereas Id rather get something really good and also support a brand I like a lot (animal, merritt). Thanks man.

|

4/11/2017 12:12 AM

Metalbmxer wrote:

Think about a company you would like to support based on their riders, owner, and overall image. You may decide that you want ...more

LikeRats wrote:

Thats actually a really good point. Guess since im ignorant when it comes to hubs ive just been trying to get best thing out ...more

very welcome, hope that helps you out some!

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

4/11/2017 7:02 PM

I will always recommend g-sport hubs, never had an issue with the fronts and when i split my rear shell i had a new one and fresh bearings too within two days.

Also to let you know what kind of people they are, i asked George French (owner of g-sport) if he had any 48 hole shells left, he said no but would keep me in mind, about a year later he sees one, messages me and the guys that had it that i really want it, the next week its in my hands. Can't rate them highly enough.

|

4/11/2017 7:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/11/2017 7:14 PM

I would look for quality/durability over the image of the company honestly. Same with riders. Tons of insane riders run cheaper/catalogue parts (usually due to sponsorships) that are nothing special.

Run what you want, but I would aim for strength over all.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/11/2017 8:44 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

I will always recommend g-sport hubs, never had an issue with the fronts and when i split my rear shell i had a new one and ...more

damn man thats crazy. Tbh i was just looking at hubs and i was thinking about putting the simian hub in the front and putting something else for the rear. Still looking at animal, odyssey, and merritt and I cant really decide. Ive always liked gsport though. Getting some ribcages and I have a few of their stuff right now.

|

4/11/2017 8:46 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I would look for quality/durability over the image of the company honestly. Same with riders. Tons of insane riders run ...more

Yeah thats true. I know pros only ride the stuff that they get paid to ride, but its hard to figure out whats always good and stuff bc of that. I havent been in bmx too long and only people i ride with are friends who skate who use my bike to mess around with so I dont really have that knowledge base so im relying on you guys lol

|

4/12/2017 8:30 AM

Ok so heres the plan so far. Gsport simian front hub laced to gsport birdcage. Merritt nonstop hub laced to gsport ribcage in back. Think it sounds pretty good so far. Know bridcages arent as strong as ribcages but i dont do anything too insane and im a small guy so not putting too much weight on it

|

4/12/2017 12:04 PM

LikeRats wrote:

Ok so heres the plan so far. Gsport simian front hub laced to gsport birdcage. Merritt nonstop hub laced to gsport ribcage in ...more

Sounds like a plan! Pretty much anything under G-Sport will hold up well, anyways.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/12/2017 12:27 PM

Protect your new hubs with some sort of guard

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

4/12/2017 2:19 PM

Slaytanic Wehrmacht 666 wrote:

Protect your new hubs with some sort of guard

Yeah I found some Merritt and gsport hubguards im gonna get

|

4/13/2017 11:30 AM

LikeRats wrote:

Ok so heres the plan so far. Gsport simian front hub laced to gsport birdcage. Merritt nonstop hub laced to gsport ribcage in ...more

Nice setup! No freecoaster on the back? I have the merritt freecoaster and it's pretty solid.

If money is tight, the sun rims are a worthy runner up to the gsport. Big-baller on back with a rhynolite XL up front would be solid. I'm running sun rims now after ditching the sport birdcage rims.

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

4/15/2017 1:35 PM

LikeRats wrote:

So I mentioned this in a previous topic but I figure I should just make a new thread. Building a new bike and I'm trying to ...more

I think those are all great choices. I've had Javelins and I loved them. I've rode Odyssey most of my life. I'm using Shadow Cymbals now because I wanted the Ignite colorway. If you like Freecoaster I'm running a Clutch right now and it's great.

|