Hubs with quick engagement

Related:
Create New Tag

8/21/2014 8:51 PM

I currently have a Primo Remix, looking to upgrade to a hub that has much quicker engagement. How do the Profile Minis compare to the Primo Remix? any other good hubs with faster engagement?

|

8/21/2014 8:59 PM

Premium Stinger and the recent Colony Wasp. If anything out of these 2 I just mentioned, go for the trustier Colony hub. The Stinger hub has had multiple random and sudden problems.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

8/21/2014 9:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2014 9:03 PM

Why do you want faster engagement? Do you race, or are you just subtlely trying to find a loud hub without getting shit on?

|

8/21/2014 9:01 PM

Premium stinger,colony wasp, profile elite. As for Your question the remix uses the same internals as the mix and profile uses the same internals on the mini as they do on the madera. That said I've owned both a mix and a madera cassette. They felt identical to be honest

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/21/2014 9:02 PM

tomdon wrote:

Premium stinger,colony wasp, profile elite. As for Your question the remix uses the same internals as the mix and profile uses ...more

Might as well get a Cult Match hub then, lol. The Match V2 sounds nice. Do you know what upgrades it has, Tom?

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

8/21/2014 9:03 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Why do you want faster engagement? Do you race, or are you just subtlely trying to find a loud hub without getting shit on?

Hopefully not because you think you're fakie master till you touch one of these things and you'll wish so badly to have any bit of slack possible back.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

8/21/2014 9:07 PM

gsport george wrote a nice article up on gsport website aboput how he made a hub with instant engagement and everytime he tried to go into fakie he would get thrown off the bike
faster engagement really isnt a benefit outside of racing of course

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/21/2014 9:07 PM

tomdon wrote:

Premium stinger,colony wasp, profile elite. As for Your question the remix uses the same internals as the mix and profile uses ...more

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Might as well get a Cult Match hub then, lol. The Match V2 sounds nice. Do you know what upgrades it has, Tom?

Match is nothing more than a mix with a different shell. The v2 is once again a different shell(smaller non drive flange) and the option of a female axle.

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/21/2014 9:10 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

gsport george wrote a nice article up on gsport website aboput how he made a hub with instant engagement and everytime he ...more

I remember that article

http://www.gsportbmx.com/2005/01/click-click-click/

For the lazy

"On the same subject; have you ever noticed how cassettes and freewheels are often advertised as having many more pawls or teeth for; “faster engagement” ? Who asked for this? Why is it a GOOD thing?

The truth is that faster engagement can be a real pain in the arse… literally.

A few years ago, as an experiment, I made a prototype hub that used a ‘one way roller bearing’. One way roller bearings are a type of very expensive needle roller bearing where each roller sits on a little ramp held against it and the outer shell by a tiny spring. In one direction it sort of rolls and in the other it jams up INSTANTLY. The hub has literally “zero slack”. It felt amazing.

Going forward it made no clicks, was absolutely silent and smooth as hell.

Going backward, even a little bit, it just threw you off the bike.

It may seem hard to believe, but with an ordinary freewheel or cassette hub you get a fraction of a second to absorb any backward landing, before it asks you to back-pedal.

With the roller hub the very moment that the back tyre touches down it forces the front pedal up at you super hard. But at the moment of landing you also have to be coping with the forces of your landing.

In other words, with a normal set-up you land, on both pedals and then start pedaling back. With the roller hub you land on two pedals where the front pedal is coming up at you twice as hard as the back pedal which is trying to retreat from under your foot. The result of all this is that it blows you straight off the bike and onto your arse…

The experience of the roller-bearing hub taught me that some slack in the drive-train is essential, so why are companies bragging about having reduced it nearly to zero?!?!

Obviously too much slack can be a pain too but there is definitely a “right amount”. Don’t be impressed by claims of near instant or instant engagement; at the starting gate it may be a help, but on street it’s totally counter-productive."

|

8/21/2014 9:22 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I just think the bike feels a lot snappier and quick when there isn't any slack. which hub do you think would be kind of balanced, where it would have pretty good engagement but i would still be able to fakie easily?

|

8/21/2014 9:25 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

foraben wrote:

I just think the bike feels a lot snappier and quick when there isn't any slack. which hub do you think would be kind of ...more

i really dont get that big of a difference from my friends stinger compared to his old joytech, if you your cranks are greased and your pedals are tight and dont creak and are greased, your engagement will be the same as a stinger/elite

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/21/2014 10:07 PM

I got a wheelset with profile mini's love em

|

8/22/2014 5:27 PM

The cult match is the exact same as primo mix and the match v2 is the exact same as remix. Made by the same company, only difference is the brand painted on the shell.

|

8/22/2014 5:50 PM

WoahD wrote:

The cult match is the exact same as primo mix and the match v2 is the exact same as remix. Made by the same company, only ...more

Cult Match = Cult Match V2 = Mix

Remix is unique.

And to OP, you don't need fast engagement. I only really ride trails and concrete parks and the 3 pawl engagement of a Tree hub is perfect for me.

|

8/22/2014 5:53 PM

I rode an elite at the trails once upon a time, loved it. The instant engagement was bliss. I hate doing fakies and street stuff other than gaps and drops so I'll probably get a wasp someday.

|

8/22/2014 6:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2014 6:58 PM

WoahD wrote:

The cult match is the exact same as primo mix and the match v2 is the exact same as remix. Made by the same company, only ...more

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Remix is unique.

And to OP, you don't need fast engagement. I only really ride trails and ...more

Same driver and bearings just smaller flange on non drive side to make shell lighter on remix. Which the match v2 also has. Mix and remix have different axles But not much different. What I'm gettin at is there won't be a big engagement difference between cult match and primo mix/Remix hubs.

|

8/22/2014 9:47 PM

WoahD wrote:

Same driver and bearings just smaller flange on non drive side to make shell lighter on remix. Which the match v2 also has. ...more

Mix, Match, and Match v2 are all the exact same aside the Match v2 has a smaller flange & different shell. Remix is an entirely different hub aside from the driver, and uses smaller 6802 bearings, all the other ones still use the 6902 bearings.

|

8/22/2014 9:50 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Mix, Match, and Match v2 are all the exact same aside the Match v2 has a smaller flange & different shell. Remix is an ...more

match/mix>remix

|

8/22/2014 10:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/23/2014 12:02 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Remix is unique.

And to OP, you don't need fast engagement. I only really ride trails and ...more

WoahD wrote:

Same driver and bearings just smaller flange on non drive side to make shell lighter on remix. Which the match v2 also has. ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Mix, Match, and Match v2 are all the exact same aside the Match v2 has a smaller flange & different shell. Remix is an ...more

Lol your right, it's entirely different except for the most important part regarding this thread... The driver. . .

|

8/22/2014 10:57 PM

WoahD wrote:

Lol your right, it's entirely different except for the most important part regarding this thread... The driver. . .

Do you do any research at all or you just pull "facts" out of your ass?

Both the Mix, Match, and Match v2 have 4 6902 bearings in the hub shell.

|

8/22/2014 11:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/23/2014 12:08 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

WoahD wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Do you do any research at all or you just pull "facts" out of your ass?

Both the Mix, Match, and Match v2 have 4 6902 ...more

Lol

|

8/22/2014 11:24 PM

"Straight from my ass here is the facts you ordered. Be sure to notice the 6902 (x2) next to hubshell bearings. The x2 means there is 2 of them. I can't make it any more simple than that."

Huh well that's weird, I guess the 4 6902 bearings in my Cult Match cassette are wrong, I guess this replacement hardware kit for the Cult Match cassette is wrong too, as is the photo clearly depicting 4 6902 bearings below

Photo

And I guess the designer of the Cult Match v2 cassette hub is wrong as well since he clearly states here, "hub bearings x4"

Photo

So should I keep going and use actual backed up facts or are you just gonna keep believing everything Danscomp says when it's factually wrong? If you do, you're pretty damn retarded.

|

8/22/2014 11:27 PM

Also, the replacement Primo axle fits the "Primo Mix, Cult Match and Cult Match V2 cassette hubs."

Which, if the Cult cassettes did not use 4 bearings, it would be impossible for that axle to fit them as well, as the Primo Mix uses 4 bearings.

I can easily keep going.

|