I Am Not a Goal Oriented Person

Related:
Create New Tag

9/6/2017 9:18 AM

I don't normally set goals for anything but after buying a bike last November and not being able to actually ride until May I decided to set some small goals for riding this summer.

A little bit of history: I've skated since I was five, never really stopped. I broke my left ankle very badly about 10 years ago and since I did that I haven't been more active than cruising around on my longboard. In short, I'm terribly out of shape(though a bit better now).

I bought my bike to ride with my kid and hopefully teach him a few things if I can get them back and in some cases learn them for the first time. My goals for riding this summer were to be able to pump the whole race track to the finish with no pedaling except the roll-in, 5 parking space manuals, and foot high hops. The other day I took my boy and my friend to the track and I finally made it with all pumping. I was stoked! It's not much but I've been trying all summer. And yesterday I popped the highest hop I've done since I got my bike. I've been just riding all summer and I finally feel very comfortable on my bike. Now for manual practice. I suck at manuals.

Do you guys set goals with your riding?

|

9/6/2017 10:36 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I don't normally set goals for anything but after buying a bike last November and not being able to actually ride until May I ...more

I get this , it took me till now to get comfy on my frame since the build last year... awesome to hear you are progressing though. I got up on a 5 second manual the other day and was happy as hell, next 10 seconds etc until i get em.

|

9/6/2017 10:53 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

I get this , it took me till now to get comfy on my frame since the build last year... awesome to hear you are progressing ...more

I got some 9.25 bars a couple of weeks ago and it was a game changer for me. I ride a WTP Atlas 24 and it came with 7.5 inch bars. Not horrible for a cruiser but I'm 6'2" and most of that height is my upper body so I was pretty hunched and not super comfortable. Everything just seems easier now. I think I'm finally in better shape from riding daily with my family and just dorking around hopping little stuff. I never thought of timing manuals. That's a good idea.

|

9/6/2017 11:11 AM

I'm not either, but when I am riding I work up to things. I am toying with Hang 5s right now. I pick a starting spot on the ground and try to go a couple feet. Then when I get that, I try to go a couple more. And just keep going until I dump it or get em figured out. That's how I got manuals. My record manual right now is in the ballpark of 650-750 feet. There was a small hill I went down with 47 parking spots, then I went about another half a block or so. I have a video clip somewhere. It was super sketchy at the end.

But I was in your shoes once-I could manual about far enough to go off a curb and land back wheel first. Then I just started doing them everywhere. Ride to the convenience store to get something-manual all the way there. Go to lunch with your kid? Ride there and practice on the way.

Next thing you know you will be working on something else because you will have manuals dialed how you want em.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/6/2017 11:18 AM

I do set some goals for big tricks , but learning the small new ones usually just randomly happen at the park messing around

|

9/6/2017 11:51 AM

Iam just learned t bogs and I've been messing around with manual 180s a lot right now and also manual oppo 180 foot plants are really easy now.

|

9/6/2017 4:04 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I don't normally set goals for anything but after buying a bike last November and not being able to actually ride until May I ...more

When I ride I set little daily goals. When I was learning to fakie out of quarter pipes and 180's I made up a little game called 10/4. The point of the game is just to get 4 successful attempts out of 10, then you move on to the next level 5/10, then 6/10 etc.

Or if Im riding with a friend, I try to assess whats holding us back most (currently manuals) and we set time aside to focus on just progressing that one trick for a good hour or so.

I dont set goals like on a calendar or anything but little daily goals are satisfying and able to be reached relatively quickly for those with an instant gratification-type mentality.

|

9/6/2017 7:05 PM

Not really. Have fun with what you do .

I actually think BMX has taken its course lately , I'm highly considering getting a hardtail Specialized P3 or Radio Griffin and riding that , then maybe get into riding DH or all mountain next year . I rode some pretty big dirt jumps 2 days ago on a borrowed NS and had WAY more fun than I have on a BMX bike lately .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/6/2017 7:09 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I actually think BMX has taken its course lately , I'm highly considering getting a ...more

Ride your BMX on em and see what you think.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/6/2017 7:28 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Ride your BMX on em and see what you think.

My goal is and always has been to ride "20 For Life".

|

9/6/2017 8:20 PM

I actually think BMX has taken its course lately , I'm highly considering getting a ...more

You're in the right town for DH for sure man. Go check out Willoughby bike park on 200 one day.

|

9/7/2017 6:25 AM

I almost done the mtb thing. But one of my favourite things about riding is cruising around bumping up curbs and stuff. Bmx is much more versatile. By all means get an mtb, but keep your bmx, you'll never know when you'll want a nibble.

As for setting goals. Well done to everyone that's feeling accomplished with what they're doing!
I don't set goals, as I'll just feel disappointed when I don't hit them. But, when I'm not riding I look for spots and think what could be done on them. Or think of things to do at existing spots. Then, when I ride I try to figure out how to actually do it. I've got a couple of things I want to try next time I ride. Sometimes I'm a sweaty try hard and try it until it's done, other times I feel like it won't work so I leave it for another day

|

9/7/2017 6:49 AM

Wayne S wrote:

My goal is and always has been to ride "20 For Life".

I've never set goals, really. I still don't. I'd like to but I never follow thru. As for riding, I had done the BMX thing way back when, then went to Mt. Bikes. Now back to BMX. Overall, having been to both, I REALLY missed the BMX. Like stated earlier, it;s way more versatile in a city environment.

My biggest hurdle right now is not having anyone to ride with. It's SO MUCH easier when you have another person or two to ride with. Even if you are just messing around, you are riding.

Lastly..... ^^^^ THIS. IS. AWESOME. ^^^^

|

9/7/2017 9:23 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I almost done the mtb thing. But one of my favourite things about riding is cruising around bumping up curbs and stuff. Bmx is ...more

I agree with Gsteve about not getting rid of your BMX. I am so glad I didn't get rid of mine. After riding MTB exclusively for 20+ years, it was awesome to still have my BMX - even tho it is really old - to change the scenery. Now, both styles feed off of each other. On most weekends, I get to ride BOTH MTB and BMX. And on Sundays, I ride both in the same day usually.

I set goals, but not by specific dates. For me, it is more about events: I will air that pipe at some point. {practice, fall, get up, repeat} Cool, I got it. Now lets add this event. The whole time I am also working on fundamentals, so that is like an ongoing plan. I guess I think of it more as "plans". Like, this fall my plan is to get better at manuals and fakies. the other plan is still getting the (god dammned) curve into a 180 timed right, so that I can put 180's and fakies together.

the only goal I guess, is to have fun, and I always do that...even on my worst days, it is just a blessing to be out and riding...especially at 48 after a heart attack. Like, 2 weeks ago, I spent 4 hours at the park riding. I never once got the 180's going, but i tried multiple times. I also had 2 very cool conversations with other guys about the current state of hardcore punk; fixed a kids skateboard trucks; got to be out in the sun, did some work on other fundy's like hops, fakies and manuals...my personal plans failed, but I still had a great day at the park

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

9/7/2017 10:39 AM

I started out on a mountain bike but it was way easier to go out in my drive way and practice tricks on my bmx then it was to go mountain biking. I still love going mountain biking but don't get the chances to so I just stick to the bmx.

|

9/8/2017 11:42 AM

There are some cool little tips for motivating yourself posted here. That's awesome.

I tried mountain biking and I fucking hated it. Over the bars every couple of minutes and landing on rocks. No thanks. Maybe if I could afford a nice full suspension bike I'd try downhill mountain biking again. I was trying to keep up with my buddies and I was on a hardtail DJ style bike(Rocky Mountain Flow). No fun at all. And someone tried to tell me that that shit is safer that skateboarding. Sure it is.

Being on a 20" bike for life is a pretty cool goal. I ride a 24 but I want to buy a used 20" over the winter(after Christmas when the kids have their new toys)to mess about on.

|