I bought a bike!!

Related:
Create New Tag

9/24/2020 10:18 AM

First, I want to thank all of you who contributed responses to my previous threads asking for help in making a bike purchase. This is my first BMX in about 25 years so to say that I was a bit out of the loop would be a massive understatement.

As I had previously mentioned, I am clueless about a lot of the newer companies, and am strongly drawn to the familiar names of my youth such as Haro, GT, and Mongoose. My main bike when I was young, was a Haro Freestyler, and I loved... I mean LOVED that bike!

After searching around, and debating whether or not to stick to a bike with 20 inch wheels, I decided to be realistic with myself, and know that at 40 years old, 6’02”/300 lbs, I am not going to be doing any jumps or tricks. I will be cruising. I know that I need a bike that is big enough to be comfortable just riding, and I don’t think a 20” bike was going to scratch that itch.

So, after all of the reading, and all of your help, here is what I bought....

https://www.danscomp.com/haro-bikes-2021-freestyler-dmc-legends-24-bmx-bike-teal-turquoise-h-21810/p1246996

I should have it by the middle of next week, and I am so anxious to take it for a ride. I appreciate all of your advice and look forward to hanging around here to learn more.

Big shoutout to Dans Comp for having what I needed in stock, and to this forum for being the first place that I ever heard of Dans Comp.

Now, anybody have any opinions on my selection?

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

9/24/2020 11:02 AM

Looks like a sweet bike that should work perfect for you and your needs!

Dans comp has kind of gone down the shitter, they haven't been sending people their orders or sometimes they take months to send them out. They don't do that with every order but I highly recommend not ordering from them in the future. Hopefully you won't have any issues with getting that bike shipped to you...

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

9/24/2020 11:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2020 11:11 AM

Apparently they've changed ownership and are actually sending out orders? Maaan I guess I'm just out of the loop

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

9/24/2020 12:01 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Looks like a sweet bike that should work perfect for you and your needs!

Dans comp has kind of gone down the shitter, they haven't been sending people their orders or sometimes they take months to send them out. They don't do that with every order but I highly recommend not ordering from them in the future. Hopefully you won't have any issues with getting that bike shipped to you...

Well, shit... I wish I would have known that. I guess I will call them to make sure that someone at least answers the phone. I kinda figured that when their website said they added the model I ordered to their inventory within the last week, it would be a safe bet that they had it and would ship.

|

9/24/2020 12:06 PM

I ordered some stuff a few months back with no problems.

|

Husky Nation Member

9/24/2020 12:25 PM

I’m pretty sure A-Main Hobbies (or something like that) took over. Back when I was big into RC cars I would order from them. Good service in my experience.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/24/2020 12:32 PM

Just got off the phone with a guy at Dans Comp who seemed to know what he was talking about. He was able to look up my order based on my email address, and confirmed that the bike I ordered was in stock at their warehouse. He informed me that I had ordered it early enough in the day that it would be shipped out via FedEx before the end of the day and that I would be receiving tracking updates from FedEx from that point forward.

He acknowledged that there have been a lot of unhappy folks lately, but assured me that most of the issues have been related to bikes that have been purchased in back order status. He specifically mentioned Sunday brand bikes, and said that those bikes ship from Taiwan. He said that they have tried to emphasize to customers that the estimated shipping dates for back ordered bikes are only estimates, and that Sunday has been extremely slow to deliver any products. This has forced them to repeatedly push back their expected delivery dates.

The two brands which he said do seem to be consistently sending them bikes, are GT and Haro, which kinda takes me back to my gut instinct that these companies which have been around forever were the ones I wanted to buy from. He did also say that he would like to make an effort to have someone from the company reach out to the BMX forums, to inform people of what has been causing delays.

Anyway, I am satisfied at this point that my bike will be delivered as they said it would be unless/until I have reason not to be. Just thought I would post an update regarding my contact with Dans Comp.

|

9/24/2020 12:42 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Just got off the phone with a guy at Dans Comp who seemed to know what he was talking about. He was able to look up my order based on my email address, and confirmed that the bike I ordered was in stock at their warehouse. He informed me that I had ordered it early enough in the day that it would be shipped out via FedEx before the end of the day and that I would be receiving tracking updates from FedEx from that point forward.

He acknowledged that there have been a lot of unhappy folks lately, but assured me that most of the issues have been related to bikes that have been purchased in back order status. He specifically mentioned Sunday brand bikes, and said that those bikes ship from Taiwan. He said that they have tried to emphasize to customers that the estimated shipping dates for back ordered bikes are only estimates, and that Sunday has been extremely slow to deliver any products. This has forced them to repeatedly push back their expected delivery dates.

The two brands which he said do seem to be consistently sending them bikes, are GT and Haro, which kinda takes me back to my gut instinct that these companies which have been around forever were the ones I wanted to buy from. He did also say that he would like to make an effort to have someone from the company reach out to the BMX forums, to inform people of what has been causing delays.

Anyway, I am satisfied at this point that my bike will be delivered as they said it would be unless/until I have reason not to be. Just thought I would post an update regarding my contact with Dans Comp.

Right on!

Sorry man, I wasn’t trying to cause you any unnecessary stress or worry. Just saying what I’ve heard from many people.

Like Readybmxer said, they got bought out and I guess they got bought out by people who actually know what they’re doing and Are on top of stuff. New info to me but it’s good they seem to be getting back on top!

Back on topic, That bike does look real sweet. Can’t say I’m not jealous, I’d love a nice cruiser for getting around town. A fixed gear doesn’t always cut it and 20” is a bit too slow for longer distances.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

9/24/2020 12:48 PM

I had a green haro master back in the day...
and a haro sport. had a few of those actually..

welcome back.

|

9/24/2020 2:12 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Right on!

Sorry man, I wasn’t trying to cause you any unnecessary stress or worry. Just saying what I’ve heard from many people.

Like Readybmxer said, they got bought out and I guess they got bought out by people who actually know what they’re doing and Are on top of stuff. New info to me but it’s good they seem to be getting back on top!

Back on topic, That bike does look real sweet. Can’t say I’m not jealous, I’d love a nice cruiser for getting around town. A fixed gear doesn’t always cut it and 20” is a bit too slow for longer distances.

No worries at all man. I’d rather somebody say something when they have info about a possible concern so I can try my best to nip it in the bud if there is an issue.

As for the bike itself, I am stoked! I feel like I will be welcoming back an old friend into my world. Lord knows I can use the excel use, and I think getting a bike better suited to my size will make it to where I am more likely to ride often. I will post some pics when I get it here and assembled.

|

9/24/2020 3:23 PM

Right on! New bike day! Congrats!

|

9/28/2020 6:20 PM

Man, I am kinda bummed. So, according to FedEx tracking, my bike arrived in my city yesterday, and was promised for delivery today by the end of the day. I was so excited to get the bike, that I stayed home just to be here to sign for the delivery.

Well, long story short, FedEx delivered something else here today but no Haro. I checked their site and it had changed to delivery date pending. So, I called their customer service and was told that they had sent it to the wrong local hub (which is only about a 10 minute drive from the one they said it needs to go to for delivery to my address). They said it will go to the right hub tomorrow, and be delivered Wednesday.

Not the worlds biggest deal, but still bums me out.

|

9/28/2020 7:52 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Man, I am kinda bummed. So, according to FedEx tracking, my bike arrived in my city yesterday, and was promised for delivery today by the end of the day. I was so excited to get the bike, that I stayed home just to be here to sign for the delivery.

Well, long story short, FedEx delivered something else here today but no Haro. I checked their site and it had changed to delivery date pending. So, I called their customer service and was told that they had sent it to the wrong local hub (which is only about a 10 minute drive from the one they said it needs to go to for delivery to my address). They said it will go to the right hub tomorrow, and be delivered Wednesday.

Not the worlds biggest deal, but still bums me out.

Mail is weird sometimes. I once ordered a part off eBay from a town 45 minutes away from me In Massachusetts and it for some reason got sent all the way to New Jersey then back to massschussets before arriving lol. Bummer it said it would arrive today but I’m sure you’ll be psyched when it arrives man. Postal service just trying to get you more excited to ride that’s all

|

9/28/2020 8:39 PM

I’ve had things posted from the states that took less time to get to Melbourne than it took to get from Melbourne to Hobart (around 500 miles) Australia Post sucks so bad.

|

9/28/2020 8:46 PM

Definitely does happen, especially lately with covid going on. I just had a rim get stuck somewhere in usps limbo land for like a week. Like cky says, just heightens the anticipation.

That said, good choice on the bike. Nice specs for a cruiser. Seems like it would be comfortable enough to put some miles on and still take some abuse when you feel the need.

|

9/28/2020 8:54 PM

Thanks fellas. Like I said, I realize it isn’t the end of the world. Still, there is little in life that is more disappointing than having something you’re really excited for not show up when it is supposed to. I will get over it.

As for the bike itself, I am really excited to get it here.

|

9/29/2020 7:53 AM

Patience patience. LOL.

Looks like a super nice bike. The upside to Haro is that around here just about every bike shop I walk into has Haros as one of their offerings. All the big ones do. It's been a while since I've been in a bike shop but when I was shopping last year they were everywhere.

Love the color on that one. My guess is you will be doing tricks on that 24 soon enough and you may eventually want a 20"er. Or you can just stick with the 24 and do whatever suits you. When I first started I was doing small tricks on my 26" cruiser. no lift bar spins and trying to hop. Stuff like that. I eventually got a 20 and love it. I'm an old guy too but much smaller. No pride here I lost a ton of weight cuz of lyme disease. Not because I'm super fit. LOL.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun