I don't get it, help me out

Related:
Create New Tag

8/1/2014 11:16 AM

So Mission forks are $60 on danscomp. They are described as "The Mission Circuit V2 fork is constructed from 4130 chromoly featuring a 1-pc machined steerer with integrated lower bearing race, alloy compression cap, tapered fork legs and 5mm thick dropouts with triangular cutouts to help shed unnecessary weight." And they weigh in at 41.5 oz

The Demolition Elite forks are $126 on danscomp. They are described as "The Demolition Elite fork is the Rob Wise signature model made from heat-treated chromoly for maximum strength and features a 1-pc internally and externally butted steerer tube with integrated bearing race, alloy compression cap, ultra tapered fork legs that are notched for peg clearance and 4mm thick dropouts that are machined on the insides to reduce weight." They weigh in at 27.8 oz

So these mission forks are a whole 13.7 oz heavier than the elites. They have 1mm thicker dropout, and they are not hollow. I will say, yes they should be heat treated, but for $60 who gives a shit yaknow. I will say its crazy how strong these elite forks are, for being so light. But these mission forks, nobody rides them, why because they're almost a pound heavier. And I understand that. But we need to find a happy medium, im sick of these light bmx parts that break. I want a 6lb frame. 2lb forks and some thick ass bars, like perfect tens but shorter. It just really bothers me because they're charging us more for heat treatment and for them making weight saving cuts on the forks. Id rather have a heavy/tanky bike than a light piece of shit.

The whole point of this rant is because I want somebody to find me a pair of forks. Not too heavy. Maybe 35oz max. but not too light, im a big guy. I dont want to snap these fuckers. But anyways, find me strong heat treated chromoly forks. post a link. I'd really appreciate it.

|

8/1/2014 11:18 AM

Also would like to add. My buddys bike was 22 pounds with four pegs. Mine was 32 pounds with only two pegs. His bike ALWAYS breaks. mine never really has issues aside from my front axle bending.

|

8/1/2014 11:41 AM

S&M pitchforks

|

8/1/2014 11:59 AM

|

Bicycle motor-cross Motor bicycle-cross Bicycle cross-motor Motor cross-bicycle!

8/1/2014 12:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2014 12:16 PM

eskimojay wrote:

S&M pitchforks

pitchforks-31 oz, good warranty and strong as well
bone deth- wont break, just under 36oz http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/353337/Bone_Deth_Bottom_Feeder_Fork.html
two good options, the odyssey forks are awesome too
but honestly, how hard would it be to sort from high to low weight, look for heat treated, and search which of those are good? that's what the search bar is for

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/1/2014 1:11 PM

Most of it is the younger crowd buying more and more lighter stuff. This is why BMX is just silly now, and wasn't as silly 10 years ago. Back then a 360 whip was HUGE. Now dudes hop them. Back then a double flip would be the contest winner, now it has to be thrown with tricks in a rhythm or it sucks and does nothing for your run.

The lighter stuff allows riders to do more, BUT there is a tradeoff, those 35 lb bikes last longer, but are MUCH harder to throw around, and the lighter stuff is easier to throw around, but there is more risk to breaking.

Parts won't get heavier again though, not to the degree they used to be.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/1/2014 1:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2014 1:37 PM

Those $60 dollar forks are made with a lesser quality steel.

They are budget forks.

Heavier doesn't always mean stronger.

|

8/1/2014 1:47 PM

pnj wrote:

They are budget forks.

Heavier doesn't always mean stronger. ...more

This times 100000
I don't understand why so many people can't wrap their heads around that concept. But every day some dude gets on here saying "back in my day frames were 8 pounds now they're only 5 they are obviously going to break in a day." But all I'm saying is I've heard a lot more about frames breaking in the 90s than frames breaking today (excluding mega weight weenie frames)

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

8/1/2014 1:51 PM

Odyssey forks are some of the lightest forks you can buy, and they are the strongest you can get. They also have a legit lifetime warranty.

|

8/1/2014 1:56 PM

pnj wrote:

They are budget forks.

Also this. If I super glue some solid pieces of shitty steel together, it'll be heavy, but it won't be very strong, will it?

|

8/1/2014 4:46 PM

pnj wrote:

They are budget forks.

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

This times 100000
I don't understand why so many people can't wrap their heads around that concept. But every day some dude ...more

I agree to a certain extent. Some midschool parts that are heavy are really strong. I have an old fit aitken frame that i hit with a hammer as hard as possible and not a scratch. And i mean, look at powerbites.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

8/1/2014 4:47 PM

pnj wrote:

They are budget forks.

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

This times 100000
I don't understand why so many people can't wrap their heads around that concept. But every day some dude ...more

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I agree to a certain extent. Some midschool parts that are heavy are really strong. I have an old fit aitken frame that i hit ...more

aitkens arent too old from what i remember, and powerbites had detatchable pedal inserts lol, at least the v1's

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/1/2014 4:49 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

aitkens arent too old from what i remember, and powerbites had detatchable pedal inserts lol, at least the v1's

V1s didn't have pedal inserts...

|

8/1/2014 4:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2014 4:52 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I agree to a certain extent. Some midschool parts that are heavy are really strong. I have an old fit aitken frame that i hit ...more

bmxsteve99 wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

V1s didn't have pedal inserts...

never mind the, must be thinking about hollowbites
the v2's did though, and i remember hearing about them coming loose and shit

|

8/1/2014 4:52 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

This times 100000

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

Idk how old my aitken is, but seeing as it has a 14.5" cs and an american bb and weighs over six pounds...

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

8/1/2014 5:20 PM

first aitkens are very early 2000's, my fave was the aitken s2i, fuckin awesome frame.

|

8/1/2014 5:49 PM

^^^^This, This, and your life will be good.

My buddy's older brother CJ Davis rode an s&m years ago, and had Odyssey forks, and as far as I know, he still rides those same forks, needless to say he doesn't ride as much anymore. but those forks still lasted. These are the modern version of what he had. I think, I just remember they said Odyssey on them. I was like 8 at the time. When i found him on facebook he said he was still running the same parts, so it goes to show quality vs budget stuff.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop